Generic batteries - buy or pass?

I just purchased a Nikon D-40 and wanted to get a spare battery. After doing a little price comparison it seems as though the Nikon brand batteries are much more costly than generic. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I already spent more than I planned because there was a great package that included a 2nd zoom lens and I thought it was an offer that couldn't be passed up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for the informative and quick replies. Unless someone has a generic battery horror story, I'm going to save a couple of dollars and go with all of your suggestions. Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I had a dodgy battery destroy the way my old 400D worked, I only used it twice, but from then on both of the genuine canon batteries would lose a full charge overnight if left in the camera. I sent it to Canon (obviously not mentioning how I had stuffed it) they repaired it and sent it back, I stupidly and unknowingly stuck the bad battery back in and the camera again began treating all batteries with the overnight discharge "service".

I think I got a bad one to be honest, it was very very cheap, and reputable replacements are probably fine, mine was from ebay ex China and definitely unfine.

Only positive is the camera is now my wife's and I am using a 500D with genuine batteries only, as a new entry to "manual" she doesn't mind and always removes the battery ;)

I will amend my previous post to include batteries for DSLRs.

My Sony A700 uses an InfoLithium battery that has circuitry built in to provide a "gas gauge" power metering function to the camera. I have four batteries that I rotate through it and they are all Sony brand. I hesitate to go with an aftermarket battery in this case because of the proprietary circuitry involved. I can find third-party batteries for about $22, but for a savings of $20 over the genuine ones, I'll pass in this case. Fretting over $20 on a battery for a $1000+ camera seem sort of silly to me.

My 2¢....YMMV.

Dave

Lithium batteries are totally different than any other. They have a limited life from the day of manufacture. They "die" based on the amount of energy stored (charge level) and temperature. So, a fully charged battery at room temp will "die" at a faster rate than if you store your batteries almost discharged in the fridge. This "dying" is not something you can charge back.

A fully chaged lithium battery may loose about 20% of it's capacity in a year even if it is not used. So if you have an older model camera and you buy a new battery it still might not have great life. Even though the battery is new to you, it might have been manufactured several years ago and has lost half it's life sitting on the shelf.

Warning: Do not use your batteries until totally dead and then store them in the fridge trying to extend their life. While it will extend it's life. The battery will continue to slowly self discharge. If the voltage drops below a certain level your charger will think the battery is bad and will not charge it.

What does the term " aftermarket" refer to?

Thanks

Aftermarket refers to replacement items made to the specifications (hopefully) of the original manufacturer by an independent supplier. Example: Bosch wiper blades for you Toyota - Lenmar lithium-ion battery to replace the proprietary units in Canon, Sony or other brands of cameras.

It can also refer to accessories that work with your product that were never offered by the original manufacturer. Example: Flash diffusers - LCD screen protectors - lenses.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought off-brand batteries and chargers on line (E Bay) and found that they are perfectly acceptable. I'm not sure that they have quite the power that they claim...but never have run out of power with reasonable use.

Archived