Maasdam's "lobster bake" at Bar Harbor

Xoe

We've received some great help on the Canada and New England ports of call boards, and now are hoping for specific information on HAL's "Acadia National Park and Lobster Bake" shore excursion at Bar Harbor, Maine.

If there is someone out there who has taken that excursion, we'd love to hear from you. We'd like to know about the natural setting, the dining set-up (tables and seating) -- also about the quality of the lobsters and other foods that are served, and anything else relevant to the experience.

I can come up with a marvelous mental picture which would make it a "don't miss" -- and I can also imagine something less than wonderful, such as a hot day with no shade, or a wet day with no rain protection, and/or menu items that don't thrill us. So, if anyone can tell us about your experience, we'll appreciate it!

We'll be on Maasdam Montreal-Boston September 12-19, so there's no big rush -- but we like to get our excursions booked once we're clear what ones are right for us.

Thanks!

It is absolutely wonderful! You're taken to a restaurant on the waterfront. The lobsters, mussels, corn, etc., are all steamed in big pots there inside. The quality of the seafood is high. Very good stuff. I heartily recommend this to anyone. Just hope weather is clear enough to allow going to the top of Cadillac Mountain.

We have also done that Bar Harbor excursion and would never miss it on that cruise. You tour the beautiful park on a bus and then go to a restaurant for the lobster bake. I think you were expecting the lunch to be in the park. Just as Jim said, the food is wonderful- real Maine lobster, mussels (or was it clams?), corn on the cob, blueberry cobbler. Don't miss it. :D

Edit: I just noticed where you are from in WA, Xoe. You, too, know great seafood. You shouldn't be disappointed.

This sounds like a "don't miss", no doubt about it!! We are now signed up and will anticipate it with great pleasure. Indeed I was imagining it might be some sort of on-the-beach event. Now I know better, and it sounds wonderful.

Yes, we WA residents enjoy great seafood -- but we don't have Maine lobsters! I lived in the Boston area for a few years in the early 70's and remember some amazing lobster feasts -- yum.

Since this post has caught the attention of you two travelers who have experienced this cruise route, here's another question:

Any specific recommendations for excursions in our other ports? In general, we prefer a short overview type which gives us an idea what to explore further on our own, and leaves time for doing so. Other than Boston, all places on this trip are new to us.

These are our tentative choices: 2-hour city tour in Quebec City; tour by double decker bus in Charlottetown; the Baddeck & Alexander G. Bell Museum trip in Sydney (where we've read, "Get out of town!"); and the Hop On Hop Off bus in Halifax, with perhaps the Harbour Hopper later that day.

We'll have 2 pre-cruise days in Montreal and 3 post-cruise days in Boston, so any ideas for us for those cities will also be appreciated.

We did that excursion about 3 years ago and we do very few HAL excursions but loved that one. View from Cadillac Mountain was magnifcent on the bright, beautiful day we were lucky to experience. Ride through Acadia pleasant and though we've lived in New England most of our lives had no idea Maine had such gorgeous pink marble.

Food was very good and plentiful. Building where we had lunch was spotlessly clean and very new. Plenty of people serving. We'd do that excursion again without hesitation.

Archived