Shopping Information

katz

Does Oceania provide shopping information for each port? On RCC, we were provided with information about which shops sold authentic items, which shops were "approved" as safe shops (kickback???) and what ports were known for certain items. Also, we were told how to "shop" in certian countries (i.e. bargaining vs fixed price)

Thanks for your help.

Yes, they do have someone from the excursion desk often times to give a talk on what to do, shop, and where to beware of. Currents newsletter keeps you up to date on when and what time the Port talk will be. Where are you going?

Thanks, Knitter.

We will be sailing from Venice and ending in Athens. In between, we will visit several Greek ports, Dubrovnick, Kusadasi, Albania, Montenegro, Umbria and Pula.

This is our first Oceania cruise. I always enjoyed the shopping lectures on RCC. I was hoping for something similiar on this upcoming cruise.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I am currently teaching myself to knit.

Thanks, Knitter.

We will be sailing from Venice and ending in Athens. In between, we will visit several Greek ports, Dubrovnick, Kusadasi, Albania, Montenegro, Umbria and Pula.

This is our first Oceania cruise. I always enjoyed the shopping lectures on RCC. I was hoping for something similiar on this upcoming cruise.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I am currently teaching myself to knit.

Good for you on Knitting. It has always been therapy for me and I knit wearable art. :) Dubrovnick, beware of cons selling oil paintings. They smell fresh, but are prints, ha! There is an area near the ship where locals sell their crafted items, crochet tableclothes, etc. They are pretty, reasonable and so far durable. It has been 10 years since to Kusadasi and Athens. In Athens they have stores in the Plaka area and high end stores in the city. Venice, I went crazy with the venetian glass and found a yarn store next to the square. Prices are higher in the Square but you can find little artsy stores nearby. Enjoy oyour trip and Knitting:).

Those "Shopping talks" are a joke. Do you realize that all the stores that are "Recommended" by the cruise lines pay the cruise line a "Cut" of what is sold to the particular cruise line passengers.? That is why they want you to identify yourself as a passenger of a certain cruise line. The only stores that get recommended are those that are willing to cough up the required percentage to the cruise lines. Shop at these "recommended" stores if you like but know that you are paying marked up prices to cover the cruise line cuts. All of the ports have other good, quality stores that refuse to participate in this blackmail system that the cruise lines have latched onto.

Those "Shopping talks" are a joke. Do you realize that all the stores that are "Recommended" by the cruise lines pay the cruise line a "Cut" of what is sold to the particular cruise line passengers.? That is why they want you to identify yourself as a passenger of a certain cruise line. The only stores that get recommended are those that are willing to cough up the required percentage to the cruise lines. Shop at these "recommended" stores if you like but know that you are paying marked up prices to cover the cruise line cuts. All of the ports have other good, quality stores that refuse to participate in this blackmail system that the cruise lines have latched onto.

While KathyPet's reply is certainly true, certain "recommended" stores are reputable and stand behind their items. This is no different that the tour guide hired for the day that takes you to a restaurant he recommends. He, too receives a commission. The important thing is to do research on what you want to purchase such as jewelry, persian rugs. I have purchased items from recommended stores and did not feel as I was ripped off. I can buy whatever I want here at home but love knowing I purchased a trinket on the other side of the world. I have also known other passengers who purchased items from "other good quality stores" who did a "bait and switch" and there was no recourse once this was discovered usually upon their return home after a visit to their jeweler. :)

Yes, I am totally aware of the kickback reasons the cruise lines recommend certain stores. And I will say that these suggested stores have been good places to shop. I was able to buy authentic Murano glass in Venice and Mother of Pearl Jewelery in Mykonos. I was sold fake Murano glass in non-recommended store, where the shopkeeper swore up and down it was real. I am willing to pay an extra price for the real stuff and don't mind knowing someone else is making a buck.

I also enjoy the lectures because I can learn what the local "specialty" is, whether or not bargining is expected and how to make the best deal if the prices are set.

In many (especially "developing") countries, taking a "cut" by the local guide or taxi driver is not only legal, but the name of the game. When we visited Categena, Columbia, aboard the Silver Shadow at the end of 2007, at the pier, there was a big sign that said "taxi tours, $70 for three hours, $60 if shopping"! We bought a little emerald souvenir ring for $180 at the "factory shop" (recommended by the local tourist board), and were charged the $60 taxi rate.

There is one distinct advantage to shopping in Oceania's (or any other cruise line's) recommended stores: There is [at least] a 30-day guarantee for all merchandise, so you are covered and indemnified against fraud and other shenanigans on the part of merchants. You may pay a little more, but there is a higher degree of comfort and confidence in making your purchases there rather than elsewhere. Which isn't to say all unrecommended merchants are thieves and scoundrels....

Archived