Freestyle questions

paayla

I'm sailing on the Spirit 8/14 and am very excited to experience freestyle cruising for the first time. I was wondering what time they offer the shows at night - do they have more that one show a night. Also I was curious about the specialty restaraunts with children. My son is 2 and is pretty good in restaraunts but at home we tend to stick to chain restaurants when we take him out. Are the specialty restaraunts child friendly or are we better off in the main dining room. I am more concerned with being courteous to other diners.

Thank you!

While I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies stating that specialty restaurants are no place for children, this is something you're going to have to determine for yourself based on your own familiarity with YOUR child. I've been taking mine to fine dining establishments since she was a baby, because she was never a problem. (Mind you, I set a bit of a bad precedent... she was just informing me the other day that we haven't been to a 'classy restaurant' for some time and we should go soon. :cool:) In any case, you know your child, and you know how well behaved he is in restaurants. If he's capable of sitting quietly and self-amusing while you enjoy your specialty meal, then absolutely go for it!! If, on the other hand, you are concerned with how well he will tolerate it, the NCL Kid's Crew allows children 2 and up, so you can feed him, drop him off, and enjoy a quiet dinner alone. :)

The main production shows are usually offered two times. There may be some other venues that are only offered once. You will get a freestyle daily each evening before you got to bed so you can plan the next day easier. Have a great cruise and enjoy Bermuda!

coka

Some shows are twice, sometimes there are two different shows.

As to eating, keep in mind that some people NEVER go into the pay restaurants and are happy with the other non extra pay options. All depends on the "mood" your child is in, and of course yourself.

I'd check with NCL as far as bringing a child to a specialty restaurant. Last time I was on the Spirit, I ate at Le Bistro and I remember a family being turned away because they were bringing young children with them. I don't know if the children had been unruly or anything like that, but I do know that they were turned away.

As far as the shows go, like others have said, the main productions in the theater offer an early, then a late showing. Other shows held in various other venues are usually offered once. No matter where you see a show, get there at least 30 minutes before it starts if you want to get decent seats.

I'd check with NCL as far as bringing a child to a specialty restaurant. Last time I was on the Spirit, I ate at Le Bistro and I remember a family being turned away because they were bringing young children with them. I don't know if the children had been unruly or anything like that, but I do know that they were turned away.

As far as the shows go, like others have said, the main productions in the theater offer an early, then a late showing. Other shows held in various other venues are usually offered once. No matter where you see a show, get there at least 30 minutes before it starts if you want to get decent seats.

That's really strange... are you sure they were being turned away because of the children? One would think it would have come up when they were making their reservation... perhaps they didn't have one.

Yes. I heard the maitre'd tell them there was a minimum age. I think I've heard something about a minimum age for specialty restaurants on other cruise lines too. I could be wrong though...I for one don't care if children are in specialty restaurants as long as they are well behaved. I've seen adults misbehave in restaurants before, so it's definitely not something just children do...

When we were on the Dawn, we ate in most of the specialty restaurants. I specifically remember children in Cagney's, Teppanyaki, and Salsa. At Salsa, there were toddlers who were very well behaved partly because they were allowed to get up at times and walk around, but an adult was always with them. In the other venues the kids were older, but in all cases well behaved. It was a pleasure to see!

Thank you all for your input. I think we will stick with the main dining rooms and if that doesn't work out - there is always the buffet. My son is 2 weeks shy of his 2nd birthday so to young for the kids program but we do have a couple of grandparents going with us so we may get to a specialty restaurant before the week is out.

I say, if you want to enjoy a specialty restaurant and you know you child is well behaved, when you call to make a reservation just simply ask if they have high chairs and if there is any problem bringing a 2 year old. Why deprived yourself of a wonderful experience if you don't have to. I never had a problem with my son in restaurants...of course I always made sure we went after his nap and he was well rested. I think most of the time when toddlers act up...it is because they are just simply very tired.

Archived