Can someone explain Early Savers and how it works

MamaTene

Basically, you get a better rate and get to choose your stateroom. You leave a deposit amount based on the length of your cruise.

However, if you cancel before final payment you lose $50 per person and the other part of your deposit can be applied to another cruise. You cannot get a refund on your deposit.

You can make *some* changes, but they cost you $50.

and they have to be made befor final payment.

• What if I need to make changes to my ship or sailing date?

Ship and sailing date changes are allowed prior to the final payment due date, subject to a $50 service fee per person, per change. Changes made after the final payment due date are subject to standard cancellation penalties.

So if you have to cancel the cruise for whatever reason, you dont get the deposit back at all?

No, you don't get it back, but you can apply it to another cruise within a year (except for the $50 fee to make the change).

Don't forget the price drops.

If the price of your cruise drops lower than when you booked you get the lower price right up until two days before sailing. (With a usual booking that stops at final payment date.)

Don't forget the price drops.

If the price of your cruise drops lower than when you booked you get the lower price right up until two days before sailing. (With a usual booking that stops at final payment date.)

Lower rate difference is provided with OBC after final payment has been made, not a refund of the difference.

Lower rate difference is provided with OBC after final payment has been made, not a refund of the difference.

Right,

Also there are some hoops to jump through to get the decrease (refund or credit) . There is a form you have to submit, and show the offer with the lower price that you found, and wait for it to be accepted. Some have had to re-submit, because the forms apparently get lost in Carnival's processing department, alot.

It seems that you have to use that form whenever the price drops for you on an ES booking, (be it before or after the final payment).

With a regular booking, if the price drops before final payment, you just make a phone call to get the price drop. (Out of luck after.)

Also be aware of the third kind of booking. There is Early Saver and sometimes there's the cash back booking. You pay a slightly higher price, and get an on board credit. Be sure to do the math to see if real difference in price.

Example:

When we booked our cruise, there was the Fun Select (regular) rate with the addition of a Cash Back feature. This cost $140 dollars more per person than Early Saver. But the Fun Select included an OBC of $120 per person that the ES rate did not. That meant that with the Fun Select was only a total of $40, additional. I felt keeping my cancelation and change options open until final payment was worth that difference to me.

• 3 weeks later...

What happens if you book an 8A with ES and then later on Carnival has a promo where if you book an 8A you get an upgrade to 8H (for example)?

If the rate for 8A is the same as you booked can you switch cabin categories?

If the rate for 8A is less do you get money back and get to switch cabins or just money back?

I assume if 8A is more than you paid then nothing happens?

Another question...what if you booked a cabin with ES rates and then later wanted to add a person to the same cabin (assuming it would hold all the people you wanted). Would you be allowed to do that or would that be a "change" that is not allowed with ES rates?

Archived