Fishing in Ketchikan or Bering Sea Fishermans Trip

VBMom13

I'd go fishing. We went salmon fishing with Captain Ken last summer and caught 30 salmon within a few hours. It was unbelievable. We had the fish shipped home - all 80 pounds of it. Though I have to admit if I never eat salmon again it would be okay.

we just got from our hal cruise last saturday, went on the Bearing sea crab tour which was amazing. They do a great job and my wife and son also truly enjoyed it. The bald eagle feedings were a sight to see. we had time to also go over on our own to the bridge by cross street where a bunch of local kids were fishing and let us try it. either tour you wont be disappointed

There is a salmon fishing in Ketch. I am interested in.It is about $200.

They say they will smoke and ship your salmon home if you catch any. Can anyone tell me the approximate$$ for this service??. I would hat if it is another $200.

Thanks

We did the Bering a week ago -- it was ok, informative and a nice crew. The eagle feeding was not as impressive as some report. The crab pots are staged -- they keep them full of crab, or shrimp and leave them on the bottom, pulling them up for each excursion. It is not an active tour-- you will get demonstrations and information on fishing and crabbing.

We got the tour on a 2/1 coupon, otherwise I may have been a little more disappointed. The weather was superb that day -- which also made the trip nice. We did get a shortened version due to two passengers being 30 minutes late. We also were late getting on board the ship.

Where did you get the 2 for 1 bearing sea coupon...we are sailing in August and are planning this tour...I'm a deadliest catch fan, however my family is more likely "just coming along," any other impressions of this tour?

Thanks,

Slick

We did the Bering a 3days ago too -- I agree it was ok, informative and a nice crew. The eagle feeding never happened they could not get the eagles out of the trees to take the bait, so I was not as impressived as some report has reported.

Like stated above the crab pots and other items are staged --

We paid full price thru the cruise line (ugh), so I am disappointed.

Our weather was superb that day which made the trip great.

We also had to Ocra Whales that followed the boat for a while.

Overall I would give it a B+

Still trying to get a hold of Bering Sea Crab tour with my toursaver coupon. No one answers the phone or calls back. I guess they just rely on full price cruise excursion bookings and website bookings.

Maybe I will do a float plane instead.

I'm doing a float plane in the morning and will be back in time for the Bering Sea tour.

I called them and left a message that included my phone number and my email. They emailed the next day with instructions for how to book with the toursaver coupon online. Don't give up on them. The woman that I've been corresponding with seems very nice and the boarding passes were sent via email after I paid. I'll give them the toursaver coupon when I get there and they'll attach it to the free ticket (sent after they confirmed payment of the initial fare). Much cheaper than booking via the ship.

We also did the Bering Fisherman's Tour and I thought I was at Disney World.

Kids seemed to like it a lot, but the whole thing seemed staged and kind of hokey. I think they've overfed the eagles as we had the same experience with them coming out of the trees kind of reluctantly. It was ok but I found myself wishing I could get off the boat. Good for families with young kids though.

As for fishing, I'd do it but my husband and son did not have a good experience with Northern Lights (Ken) so I would look elsewhere for a good charter.

We had already done a helicopter landing, so I didn't book a floatplane excursion but if I had it to do over again, that's what I would have done.

We were in Alaska in June, and the Bering Sea tour was hands-down our favorite thing that we did! Two adults, no kids, but we are big fans of Deadliest Catch. Of course a few things are staged...didn't detract at all in our opinion. We were there for the stories and demonstrations.

It all depends on what you're looking for. If you are into more active/participatory excursions, you might prefer fishing. If you're a Deadliest Catch fan, it would be hard to beat the Bering Sea tour.

We fished in Ketchikan on the 25th. AFter a few rough and stormy days this was a beautiful day. DH,DS and DD and I caught 14 fish, I booked through Princess. They arrived today. 25 lbs of fillets and 9 pieces of smoked. I have a full freezer. It was a great trip.

My gf and I were on the same tour as Jmarks. I thought the tour was enjoyable. Got some good pix of the eagles and the crab. The stories seemed a bit too emotional for my preference.

The one thing was after meeting with the chef and maitre D on the Island Princess was that if you do catch some fish and bring them back on board, they would do a custom dinner for you. Might be an alternative to getting the fish shipped home and worth checking with the wait staff on whatever boat you are on.

Archived