Snorkel excursion or snorkel from beach?

Crystalcat

My family will be stopping in St. Thomas next March on Freedom of the Seas. We did the Castaway Girl cataraman/snorkeling excursion through RCI which took us to the cove off Buck Island. While it was great for a first experience both on a catamaran and snorkelling, we won't be doing that trip again because the cove was just had too many excursions there all at the same time, in my opinion. Our cruise only stops in Coco Cay, St. Thomas, and St. Martin, and from all I've read, St. Thomas is where we should expect the best snorkelling. I just missed not really seeing anything of the island last time. Is there a big difference between snorkelling from the beach, or is snorkelling from a boat a much better experience? (Our ship is in port from 11 am - 7 pm) Thanks!

If the beach is sandy only, you may not see many fish because they like the coral, or rocks, it gives them some protection and also a source of food (smaller fish) are around for the bigger fish. You can snorkel from shore at Secret Harbor and Coki beach (and probably others that I don't know about). We snorkeled from shore at Secret Harbor last year. On our next cruise, we have a day sail (which only takes 6 people) We will snorkel from the boat in a more private setting.

Hope this helps.:)

topspot is right about sandy beaches not having good snorkeling. this is why megans doesn't have good snorkeling. i haven't been to coki or secret harbor, but we did go to sapphire last year and the snorkeling off the beach there was pretty good. we did this as part of an island tour/beach stop combo tour with papa bear (air force one tours). it was great! :D

• 2 months later...

The boats that depart from the cruise ship docks generally go to Buck Island - which you have done already. If you take a charter boat from the East End of St. Thomas (Red Hook or one of the neighboring marinas) they generally go to St. John, some include snorkeling spots that are off beaches on St. John and others to ones that are off cays that you wouldn't be able to get to any other way besides a boat.

If the boat charter is heading to a spot that is more difficult to get then chances are the coral reef will be healtier as it gets less snorkelers than a reef that is near a popular beach. So there are some differences in that regard.

Since you didn't spend much time on St. Thomas on your last visit you can plan a day on St. Thomas including a beach with good snorkeling like Sapphire, Secret Harbor, Cowpet and Coki Beach. Do a bit of research on these beaches and see which one suits your needs and what you want to do at the beach. Try a beach guide for St. Thomas for photos and description: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=st.+thomas+beach+guide&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1.

--Islander

Archived