Fairbanks - is it worth going there if you only have 4 days prior to your cruise?

mum3934

We had to reschedule this cruise from June to August 12th Carnival Southbound so now I have to re-visit our planned itinerary - we have 5 days prior to the cruise day#1 is travel day.

We were gonna skip Fairbanks since for the limited vacation time and travel distance from ANC, there's really nothing that interests us - they appear pretty cheesy unless you have young kids (Gold Mine/SteamBoat/Santa's workshop,etc. - did I miss anything?)

I just found out Alaska's oldest State Fair - Tanana Valley at Fairbanks is on when we're there Aug 7-15th.

Would it be worth going to drive to Fairbanks from Talkeetna (2hrs from Anchorage) on day#2? We plan to take the Talkeetna Air Taxi for their Grand Denali Tour first on Day#2 then maybe perhaps drive to Fairbanks (5 hrs from Talkeetna) to this Fair ( just to see the giant vegetables and such)? If not, we were just gonna go south to Seward and continue with our Seward plans.

I need all the experts' opinion I can get - so please keep it coming since I'm late in booking everything and surprisingly enough, things are still open...

I wouldn't drive to Fairbanks just for the fair. 75 percent of it is just like any other fair in the US. Although you're doing an air tour of Denali, driving up from to Denali from Talkeetna will only take another 3 hours or so and is a much different experience than flying. If you do drive up, get as far into the park as possible with something like the Tundra Wildernss Tour and plan on a very long day. Well worth it.

Go to Seward-forget Fairbanks. LOOOOOONG drive to get from Fairbanks to Seward-you will waste a lot of time just driving. Drive from Talkeetna down through Wasilla/Palmer. Palmer is the HOME of big vegetables. Here is the website of the guy that wins a lot of the records in Alaska-bet he would let you look at his veggies. Enjoy!!!! http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/vegetables2.html

I would not go to the fair, but if you are really into such things, are a farmer, etc. it might be just the thing. Personally I would spend time at Denali NP (wildlife, scenery, Mt. McKinley if you are lucky) and then take a PWS cruise before boarding the ship in Whittier. But you could go to Seward instead of Denali. Just realize that you will incur a hefty one-day drop off charge with Avis for the car rental from Anchorage to Whittier. No other car rental options. A taxi from Seward to Whittier is another option but by the time you do that and the car rental for part of the trip, the car rental is probably cheaper for the entire time.

I think after all your input,we'll just take the Talkeetna air taxi and go on down to Seward and stops in between. Any other suggestion on anything worth stopping from Talkeetna to Anchorage is appreciated. We got Seward fully planned. KB

Last year in Fairbanks we found the Riverboat to be a great Intro. to Alaska, its culture and native people. It gave us a good overview of the beauty & diversity of a unique part of the US.

Highly recommend to all our friends who consider this great State.

El

Archived