Governor's Beach... Snorkel?

mandyc3383

After researching Grand Turk and looking through previous posts I have heard good and bad about Governor's Beach. I will be there mid August and was thinking about venturing from the ship's excursions and going off on our own to snorkel. I have read that the beach is back in full swing, but how is the snorkeling from this location? Does anyone have any other beach recomendations that provides a good spot to snorkel? Thank you! :)

we were at governors beach a few yrs ago. did it on our own for $4 each way by tram. carnival brought their excursion there as well...for $35...ha! we got there about 30min b4 the ships pax, it is a short distance, u can even see the ship from the beach..

ok, no umbrellas, there r palms u can move your chairs under. i think our chair was $5 and a float was $5..they have an outside shower to rinse off the sand and bathrooms. also, a small snack shack with soda, beer, a few tutti/fruittis, chips...

the water was perfect, it was in sept..lots of sea glass, my dh said thats a broken heiniken bottle! ha! in purple! there r alot of big rocks to snorkel around and thru. lots of sand dollars too. i loved it.

the carnival guy took the pax down the beach just about a minute or 2 walk and they snorkeled there then up where we were..

there is another beach i have heard of too, cant remember what it is, next tiem we will go to both...beautiful little island...

Thanks Cruisegal! I was considering the power snorkel excursion through the ship, but for two of us it would be 150.00. Neither of us have ever snorkled so this would be a first and as another poster has pointed out I don't want to waste the time and money just getting aqquainted. So I thought going out on our own with unlimited time at the beach might be the best bet for us. The other couple traveling with us prefers to snorkel off the beach rather than taking a boat out because she gets seasick on smaller boats. Any other beach advice or recent reviews of Governor's Beach is greatly appreciated! :)

Archived