Choosing ship for Transatlantic Cruise 2010

I am trying to decide about what RCI ship to take TransAtlantic next year. I did a transatlantic this year but decided RCI is my cruiseline.

Can anyone provide feedback in the way of entertainment on RCI transatlantic cruises? Headliners, shows, group activities, etc...that you enjoyed?

Thank you!

Well, I think the shows on TAs are about the same, and just as random, as shorter cruises - can't be sure what you will get. The good news is that shows (and menus) are not repeated during the cruise. I think the deciders for a TA are price, ship, port stops, and the port of embark (or disembark). You will want to take a look at the airfare you will be dealing with, and think about how much you want to see your euro endpoint. However, London, Barcelona and Rome are all great cities to visit. You might also consider if your ship will have an enclosed pool (Radiance class) or not (all the bigger ships). Depending on the route and season, you may not have much swimming without one.

Well, I think the shows on TAs are about the same, and just as random, as shorter cruises - can't be sure what you will get. The good news is that shows (and menus) are not repeated during the cruise. I think the deciders for a TA are price, ship, port stops, and the port of embark (or disembark). You will want to take a look at the airfare you will be dealing with, and think about how much you want to see your euro endpoint. However, London, Barcelona and Rome are all great cities to visit. You might also consider if your ship will have an enclosed pool (Radiance class) or not (all the bigger ships). Depending on the route and season, you may not have much swimming without one.

Thanks. I did a transatlantic to Rome in April and loved it. I really enjoy the sea days. I thought the entertainment was poor at best on my last ship; however everything else was just absolutely terrific.

But since I really enjoy the entertainment, I asked the question on the entertainment on the ships on RCI, as I think I want to go with my favorite cruiseline :) I seem to always find good deals and use points for my airfare. Thank goodness for those points! :)

Check out next year's westbound TA on Jewel of the Seas from Harwich, England to Boston, MA. An excellent and interesting itinerary on one of the most beautiful ships in the RCI fleet. We have done several TAs from England to Boston and have always found them to be very enjoyable. This year we will be visiting Iceland along with France, Cork, Ireland, and Belfast, Northern Ireland and next year the itinerary will feature two ports in Iceland as well as stops in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. If we were not going to Alaska next June, we would be booked for yet another great TA cruise on our favorite ship, Jewel of the Seas, in September, 2010

Check out next year's westbound TA on Jewel of the Seas from Harwich, England to Boston, MA. An excellent and interesting itinerary on one of the most beautiful ships in the RCI fleet. We have done several TAs from England to Boston and have always found them to be very enjoyable. This year we will be visiting Iceland along with France, Cork, Ireland, and Belfast, Northern Ireland and next year the itinerary will feature two ports in Iceland as well as stops in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. If we were not going to Alaska next June, we would be booked for yet another great TA cruise on our favorite ship, Jewel of the Seas, in September, 2010

I was going to suggest the same thing... My husband and I are booked on Jewel in September, 2010 and the itinerary is amazing... No more than 2 sea days in a row, which is very unusual for a TA.

This November, we're doing a TA on Independence, which has a more traditional itinerary from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale...

I'm looking forward to both cruises, but am especially excited about the Jewel itinerary next year.

I was going to suggest the same thing... My husband and I are booked on Jewel in September, 2010 and the itinerary is amazing... No more than 2 sea days in a row, which is very unusual for a TA.

This November, we're doing a TA on Independence, which has a more traditional itinerary from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale...

I'm looking forward to both cruises, but am especially excited about the Jewel itinerary next year.

I am glad to hear you are looking especially forward to the Jewel next year....I think I may know why...hmmmm. I am looking so forward to it too!

Michelle

From your signature, you took the Noordam on your prior TA. HAL has quiet ships, even on their shorter runs, and on a long TA, with a more elderly crowd.......zzzzzz.

Royal always has lots to do on their ships.

4-6 trivias a day

name that tune

other games such as Liars Club, etc.

L & M

The Quest

pool games, etc.

Captains party

70's night party

80's night party

There will be 2 separate ice shows, each repeated 6 times, for those ships that have a rink.

And 2 parades on the Voyager/Freedom class ships

Don't forget the rock walls, inline skating, and the flow rider on the Indy.

Cooking demos, wine demos.

And the spas.

Sure I forgot lots.

WOW! I defintely will. That sounds great. Thanks for the tip. How was the entertainment crossing over?

WOW! I defintely will. That sounds great. Thanks for the tip. How was the entertainment crossing over?

You may also want to check out the October 2010 TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale on Navigator, Very reasonable prices, a great itinerary and a very active role call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=950570

Mike

The entertainment was pretty much typical of what you would expect to find on any RCI ship on any itinerary - the same production shows that the Jewel has been offering for a number of years, and "celebrity" entertainers of varying quality. There are more than enough onboard activities to keep you busy during the sea days if that is what you prefer. Otherwise there are a number of quiet spots on board where you can read and/or relax. The covered solarium allows you to enjoy the pool whatever the weather and if the weather is inclement, there are certain hours during the day when families will be permitted to use those facilities.:) Chops and Portofino are excellent specialty restaurants and My Time Dining on the Jewel has been pretty popular.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Someone was saying something about a John Lennon Memorial in Iceland (??). I am going to be looking at the cruise more closely. Thank you for the tip!

You may also want to check out the October 2010 TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale on Navigator, Very reasonable prices, a great itinerary and a very active role call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=950570

Mike

Thanks Mike! I just did the Ft. Lauderdale to Rome TA in April. I think I would like to go a different route next time for variety. But I will check it out..maybe there will be a few different stops. I did LOVE the trip and can't wait to do a TA again. If I was a wine drinker, I would do the wine country cruise in Italy, I bet that is fabulous. I am looking into TP (Trans Pacific) cruises, too.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
From your signature, you took the Noordam on your prior TA. HAL has quiet ships, even on their shorter runs, and on a long TA, with a more elderly crowd.......zzzzzz.

Royal always has lots to do on their ships.

4-6 trivias a day

name that tune

other games such as Liars Club, etc.

L & M

The Quest

pool games, etc.

Captains party

70's night party

80's night party

There will be 2 separate ice shows, each repeated 6 times, for those ships that have a rink.

And 2 parades on the Voyager/Freedom class ships

Don't forget the rock walls, inline skating, and the flow rider on the Indy.

Cooking demos, wine demos.

And the spas.

Sure I forgot lots.

I just signed up for Grand Princess TA April 9, 2010. I decided HAL, although the service was wonderful, I have renamed it the "Snore-Dam". I am hoping Princess is still alive after 9pm! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your great feedback!

Archived