Elation or Paradise? LA or San Diego?

good42n

Port of San Diego is closer to the airport the Long Beach is. If you are driving, parking can be found for $8 with a coupon in San Diego.

The Elation is usually the cheaper cruise.

Long Beach terminal is way better than San Diego. Long Beach is the old Spruce Goose dome next to the Queen Mary. San Diego is a converted warehouse. Flying to LAX can be cheaper than to San Diego.

The Elation embarks/disembarks on the third floor. The Paradise on the seventh floor- Empress deck at the base of the Atrium. We love watching the last 'show' on the Paradise. We hang out at the Atrium railings on deck 8 or 9 and watch all the people self-disembarking. Amazing what people drag off the ship.

You cannot go wrong with either ship.

been on both and dne the iteneraries many times. I would chose the Elation over the Paradise any day. And no not because I live in San Diego LOL! Just like the ship better for some reason...:rolleyes:

Well you are coming from Hemet....so assuming that you don't need a airport to fly into.....San Diego would be your better bet. Sailing out of San Diego is the best and easiest. No waits, great bay and city views, and the Elation shines as one of the best Fantasy class ships there is. I've sailed out of San Diego 4 times and I amazed how fast the staff gets you onboard compared to other ports that we have sailed including Long Beach.

been on both and dne the iteneraries many times. I would chose the Elation over the Paradise any day. And no not because I live in San Diego LOL! Just like the ship better for some reason...:rolleyes:

Well you are coming from Hemet....so assuming that you don't need a airport to fly into.....San Diego would be your better bet. Sailing out of San Diego is the best and easiest. No waits, great bay and city views, and the Elation shines as one of the best Fantasy class ships there is. I've sailed out of San Diego 4 times and I amazed how fast the staff gets you onboard compared to other ports that we have sailed including Long Beach.

I'd have to agree completely. I've cruised the Elation several times. Beautiful ship great home port in San Diego. :)

One more in favor of the Elation. I'm sailing on the Splendor next Jan. and I'm already fretting about getting lost going up to the Long Beach port. I'll probably start several hours early just in case I get lost. LOL

Port of San Diego is closer to the airport the Long Beach is. If you are driving, parking can be found for $8 with a coupon in San Diego.

The Elation is usually the cheaper cruise.

Long Beach terminal is way better than San Diego. Long Beach is the old Spruce Goose dome next to the Queen Mary. San Diego is a converted warehouse. Flying to LAX can be cheaper than to San Diego.

The Elation embarks/disembarks on the third floor. The Paradise on the seventh floor- Empress deck at the base of the Atrium. We love watching the last 'show' on the Paradise. We hang out at the Atrium railings on deck 8 or 9 and watch all the people self-disembarking. Amazing what people drag off the ship.

You cannot go wrong with either ship.

I've sailed Elaton not the other but I have sailed out of both ports & I have to disagree with this post JMPO. I hated long beach port. San Diego is a breeze. The only positive at Long Beach is the parking garage next to the dome. You have to wait outside (unless you get there after everyone else has boarded) and if it is raining, nowhere to take cover. Once they began calling boarding numbers, we went into the dome where we stood in a line for about 15 minutes. Then on to another line where we stood like herded cattle, waiting for pictures etc. Up an escalator trying to carry our luggage up the escalators wasn't fun and only one elevator. Sorry but I don't do porters-I want my bags with me at all times). I hated embarkation at Long Beach. Love San Diego. If you get there early, Seaport Village is a quick walk along the marina and beautiful scenery of San Diego. Gosh I love that city.

And the view during sailaway - what could be better:

2907501720040669306S600x600Q85.jpg

I haven't sailed on the Paradise, but I've been on the Elation 3 times. I love the Elation. She was the first Carnival ship I sailed on in 2000. San Diego is the easiest port to disembark, too.

Well, considering that they are identical ship layouts - they are both great.

So that is not even a factor.

It's just basically the port difference.

What is closer to you?

If you are just going to drive in, get on the ship, and go - that's the main factor.

The only other thing for you or others contemplating this - is if you wanted to spend time before or after sightseeing in each port city.

Want to go to Hollywood, Venice Beach, Universal, Disneyland?

Paradise/Los Angeles.

Want to go to the Zoo, Balboa Park, Sea World?

Elation/San Diego.

Simple as that.:cool:

Well, considering that they are identical ship layouts - they are both great.

So that is not even a factor.

It's just basically the port difference.

What is closer to you?

If you are just going to drive in, get on the ship, and go - that's the main factor.

The only other thing for you or others contemplating this - is if you wanted to spend time before or after sightseeing in each port city.

Want to go to Hollywood, Venice Beach, Universal, Disneyland?

Paradise/Los Angeles.

Want to go to the Zoo, Balboa Park, Sea World?

Elation/San Diego.

Simple as that.:cool:

IF you want the "Hollywood" experience, you'll A: NEED a car and B: could get stuck in traffic trying to get back to your ship. In San Diego you can get to most places with easy public transportation and the places listed above are no more than 30 minutes from the ship. No chance of LAX 405 traffic nightmare either.

I was up in the air as well. After asking around and doing some research we decided to have our wedding aboard the Carnival Elation on 10/1/09. At this point I'm pretty sure we've made a good decision.

I think you made the right choice too:) Also you will have beautiful San Diego as a backdrop for your pictures!!!

Congrats!!!

Archived