UV filter and red/yellow/orange filter recommendations

I am looking to buy a UV (or skylight) filter to cut down on haze in my landscape photos. also looking to buy red/orange/yellow filter(s) to improve depth/contrast in my black and white photos. any recommendations for my D60?

Hoya HMC or SMC filters are good quality filters at reasonable prices.

Tiffen is another brand that provides a good quality/price mix. They offer a couple of kits that may interest you (I am assuming 52mm standard filter for D60 kit lenses).

Essentials 52mm - UV, Circular Polarizer and Skylight (kind of superfluous, but it's essentially free in the kit)

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-52mm-Photo-Essentials-Filter/dp/B00004ZCKX/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_b

Black and White 52mm - Red, Green and Yellow contrast adjustment.

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-52BWFK-Black-White-Filter/dp/B00009UTEU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1248889927&sr=8-3

Dave

I've seen filter effects applied in post processing. Seems if you shoot with a B+W filter you're locked into that effect. By doing it all in post processing, you've got more flexibility. I know Apple Aperature has these effects. I also see plugins out there.

In the old days I used to use an Orange filter to get the effects I wanted, darken sky, etc, and liked the results. Recently I try it on my older Fuji in Black and White and I did not get the effect I was looking for, or remembered getting. If you have a friendly Photo Shop maybe they will help you out and let you try out the filters and you can see if they will do what you want. Also there is the Post Processing method already mentioned, and a polarizer might be all you need

Good Luck

Archived