How do you pack a wig?

kanitter

I have a while before my cruise, but dd and I was talking tonight and she brought up the fact about me wearing a wig occasionally. I have short, stick straight hair. Even when my stylist curls it for me it last about half an hour. So when I dress up I wear a wig. Now I'm wondering, how do I pack it without it getting smashed or all messed up.:( So then I figured, you guys seem to know just about everything about traveling so I would ask the experts.:D So, any tips on how to do this? I keep picturing unpacking on the ship and pulling out something that looks like an old bird's nest. Not good!:rolleyes: So, come on ladies, give up your secrets. Have a good one,

Sue

is very hardy, and there are collapsible wig stands that fold flat. I just shake my wig vigorously when I take it out of my carry-on bag. I do stuff it with a couple of plastic baggies so it doesn't get squished and keep it on the top of the carry-on - or else I just wear it. Problem solved at least for me.

Since I don't know what type of wig you have, you might go to the place where you bought it and ask their opinion.

turnit inside out, put it in a plastic bag, and maybe in a box(small) then unpack turn back out, give a gentle shake..and put it on your stand. or simply wear it on board...then after u r in cabin, take it off and then on its stand..if it is real hair, leave it curled to travel, then comb out..good luck...from an old hairdresser, here

Thanks all for you answers. I think I'll try a combination. Turn it inside out, and put it on top of my carryon. Mine seems to be pretty sturdy. When I wash it I wash it inside out, let it dry, then turn it the right way, shake a little, fluff a little and then it's just about ready to go. But I've never traveled with it and I just wasn't sure what to do about it. 10splyr, where did you get a collapsable wig stand, that would really be great, as it would take up less room in the suitcase. I've never seen one around here. I guess I'll also need to watch out for the wind. I read on here somewhere abiout some poor woman walking out on deck and the wind blew her wig right off her head:eek:. That would not be cool. Of course dh and dd would think it was hilarious. Actually I would probably have to laugh also. But I'd rather keep it on my head.:rolleyes: You guys have a good one and thanks again,

Sue

Can't you just wear it while traveling? I have never worn a wig but seems to me it would be a lot easier just to wear it rather than pack it. Maybe there is a reason why not to travel in it but since I know nothing about wigs I wouldnt know.

jeleja, I thought about wearing it, but I'll be flying first from Missouri to London overnight and I don't think I want to sleep sitting up with the wig on. I could just see myself by the morning, I'd look like a pirate with a very hairy eye patch.:eek: And I don't really want to wear it while boarding the ship as I don't know how windy it will be by the docks and I don't want to see it going overboard as I know what kind of answer I would get from dh if I asked him to dive over and get it for me.:D I'd tell you but then the board monitors would have to pull this thread.:rolleyes: So I think it would be safer in my suitcase for a while. Plus I don't wear it everyday, only when I am dressing up. Dh calls it my fancy head rat. He's such a brat. Want him?

You guys have a good one,

Sue

jeleja, I thought about wearing it, but I'll be flying first from Missouri to London overnight and I don't think I want to sleep sitting up with the wig on. I could just see myself by the morning, I'd look like a pirate with a very hairy eye patch.:eek: And I don't really want to wear it while boarding the ship as I don't know how windy it will be by the docks and I don't want to see it going overboard as I know what kind of answer I would get from dh if I asked him to dive over and get it for me.:D I'd tell you but then the board monitors would have to pull this thread.:rolleyes: So I think it would be safer in my suitcase for a while. Plus I don't wear it everyday, only when I am dressing up. Dh calls it my fancy head rat. He's such a brat. Want him?

You guys have a good one,

Sue

HA! Your post made me laugh out loud...I think I will 'pass' on taking him but thanks for the offer. Actually, based on what you said I think I might have been married to one of his brothers ...hehehehe...anyway, now I understand why you dont want to wear the wig while in transit. Good luck transporting it, thanks for making me laugh and have a GREAT cruise!

you can find almost anything you want. Just type in the "google" search space wig stands and you will get more information than you ever wanted, including collaspible wig stands.

But as the others have said, turn your wig inside out, put it in your carry-on and just shake it out when you get there. Most wigs are pretty strong and can stand a lot of shaking.

And on the other hand: just remember that most of the people on your cruise have never seen you and probably never will again, and so don't worry about how you look. You paid lots of $$$$ to go on a cruise, and you should just enjoy it and not give a rat's ... what anyone else thinks:D

10splyr, part of my problem is that I really couldn't care less what others think I look like but I really hate my hair.:( So I'm the one I'm trying to please. It doesn't help that I can be a very picky b***h when I want to be.:rolleyes: So I guess the wig goes with me.:D Have a good one,

Sue

Archived