Does anyone else think this is wrong??

dgr231

I booked extremely early for my 12/14/09 Miracle sailing. The aft cabins were still categorized as 8C back then.

Anyway, back last November, during the P1S sale, I got a $200 per person price drop, because it was a 8A to 8I upgrade.

After they started the Cash Back option, I checked that out. While the NET of the Cash Back would give me a whopping $40 (total) for the cabin, I decided to just leave things alone. I mean, I already had the cabin I wanted, so getting an upgrade wasn't an option.

Anyway, as I understand it, when you change booking codes, they are NOT cancelling the current booking and rebooking. Not really. Although you do have to pay the current cabin price.

You can read the fine print here...

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cashback/default.aspx

"Cash back offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Combinable with Fun Select rates only. Rates are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Available in stateroom categories 4A - 11. Blackout dates may apply. Valid on new individual bookings made between 3/9/09 - 6/30/09. Promotion is applicable to select ships and departures between 5/24/09-9/04/09. Government taxes and fees are additional for all guests. Cash back may not be applied to cruise fare or government taxes and fees. Please request fare code OCB."

I would check back with them and see why they can't change the code from DP3 to OCB and see what happens, athough the "new individual bookings" may have something to do with it.

If you cancelled and clearly started all over with a new booking, there would have been a new booking number I would believe.

Sometimes, but not always.

I've cancelled (at my direction) twice previously to new ship and sailing date, and the booking # stayed the same.

But my favorite (not at my direction) was my original plan for my first Europe cruise. Booked it, and then CCL decided not to do any of those sailings. Was cancelled and moved to Carnival Glory, the local fave. That sailing cancelled due to the ship being replaced with Carnival Dream. Booked Dream for 12/5, and that sailing was cancelled so they could make it a longer cruise. Called and rebooked for the longer sailing. After all was said and done, the booking number for the Europe cruise is still the same for my Dream sailing in December.

During any calls to CCL regarding this sailing, it takes them quite a while to go through a bazillion notes they've recorded due to keeping the same booking #.

Most places record calls these days since it protects them as well as the consumer (and can also help with quality monitoring). I'd be shocked if they didn't but I suppose anything is possible.

For $100 you might spend a lot of energy fighting it but you are in the right.

They record the calls for quality assurance. As soon as they go over the "coaching" with the agent who they are recording, it is erased. They do not keep the recordings. With as many agents as they have, it would become just a massive inventory of recordings that would be difficult to manage. I use to work at Disney and Universal in their reservation departments, and everytime we recorded our agents on the phone, we let them hear themselves and then would go over the call with them. "You did ______ right. You could have asked for the sale, etc, etc."

Now with this being said, the OP stated that his PVP went back through the notes and found where he did memo the conversation and what happened. There is your proof right there. Anytime in our res center we touched a reservation (the program would not let us out until we made a memo) we had to make a memo regarding what the call was about. We could not get around this. Since your PVP memoed the conversation - they should honor it. I know we always would.

Good luck! Write the letter and hopefully they will do the right thing.

I agree that the error was clearly on the part of the Carnival employee. Especially when he admits to finding notation confirming your conversation. I know it's a pain to go after it for that amt of money.

While I have read many posts from folks who LOVE their PVP I will venture a guess that most do not. I have found dealing with Carnival directly to be customer service deficient. I would think that in this economy and competitive market customer service is what could seperate you from another line. As a small business owner, customer service is job 1. I tell my employees that no matter what I want everyone to walk away from our events happy and that if they can't do it, tell me.. I will do what I can and I think that for $100 they should have said

"We are so sorry for the confusion, we will honor the rate you were quoted" and we value your business....

Just me but customer service goes a very long way

If you are out, post a note on John Heald's blog. He has amazing ways of getting things made right.

I agree with this.

Dealing with Carnival Guest Services is like beating your head against the wall.

I had a problem that I posted on this board.

I was going around and around with Guest Services.

Some kindly soul sent a linky to John Heald and the problem was magically resolved.

Archived