NCL Jade: courtyard now open to all suites

jonbrealey

Hi Everyone,

We are on the Jade at the moment. We are in a Courtyard Villa - A3. The courtyard area has now been opened to all suites (except mini). I'm very unhappy about this, last year the courtyard was well used but you could generally get a seat and the area was quiet. Now you are very lucky to get a seat, at one point there were 8 children in the pool and 3 in the spa. If you have been in the courtyard you will know it was not built for this. The courtyard butler cannot cope with the number of people he is looking after so you have a long wait for anything you need.

I have met with the assistant hotel director who has basically told me there is nothing he can do but that I should complaint to head office. He apologised over and over again, I get the impression I'm not the first to complain. All of the web based NCL advertising says that the courtyard is for garden, owners and courtyard villas. The main thing I'm annoyed about is that this holiday is very expensive for us, the courtyard is a key feature for us, we have bought the holiday on the basis that it was advertised and NCL have now changed this after we have booked.

Did anyone else booking an A1, A2 and A3 know about this?

What do people think to this?

Jonathan

What a great idea! This way the rest of the ship won't be as crowded for the rest of us! ;)

I'm just kidding folks...put down the pitchforks! :D

That was on the Spirit. It didn't seem to impact the penthouse passengers at all. Never a wait. Service was spectacular.

It is another way to diminish the suite perks--anyone who always books a suite should never want the suite perks to be diminished-- this translates to a reduction in the suite perks ambiance you pay for. More people for lunch at Cagney's puts a bigger burden on the Cageny's kitchen staff (cooks etc)--you can always get more waiters or servers.

I am totally against this.

Big Green

While it is certainly is the absolutey wrong thing for NCL to do, I don't think anyone should be apoplectic about it just yet.

As of now we have one report of this happening, on one cruise, on one ship. Perhaps there are special circumstances on this cruise that caused the situation (something the OP alluded to in one of his posts). Perhaps it's just a "trial balloon" floated with the intent of gathering the reactions of the passengers.

I disagree I think this is horrible that the people who paid to have the Courtyard are completely being screwed out of what they thought there vacation was to be. I also believe that this should be addressed immediately so that this doesn't happen to any others in the future who have already booked. If NCL decides that they want to do this they should only start with a cruise that nobody has booked any of these cabins. I have been in an AE cabin and of course would have loved to have this perk but I don't know if I would take advantage of it if I knew that others had paid so dearly for it to be exclusive. I also think that if all the suites were allowed to do this it would be so crowded that I may as well go ahead and be with all of the others at the main pool areas. I am booked for a CV in January and if this ends up happening I will definately cancel my trip as it would be spoiled IMO.

You misunderstood the intent of my post. Obviously it is a real and immediate issue for any passengers who are affected by this, and who have paid a premium price for suites that include use of the courtyard.

I am referring to those of us who are sitting in our homes or offices posting on this issue with some even threatening to sue or asking for discounts on an upcoming cruise assuming this will affect them. None of us have any first hand knowledge of what is happening on this ship, nor has there been a single report of it happening on any other ship either at present or in the past. All I'm suggesting is that we should wait for a little more information before getting our collective panties in a knot. Now if it turns out that NCL really intends to do this, I'm all for knotted panties.

All I'm suggesting is that we should wait for a little more information

I disagree. Either it is the policy and NCL should come out and say it and allow guests to decide how to react or it is not - let NCL disclaim this and then this thread is over.

WAITING is really not a solution for those of us sailing soon.

And what information? Do you think NCL will put out a press release? I'm sure bookings in AB -AD would fill up BUT.....CV OS and GV will surely not be pleased.

I disagree. Either it is the policy and NCL should come out and say it and allow guests to decide how to react or it is not - let NCL disclaim this and then this thread is over.

WAITING is really not a solution for those of us sailing soon.

And what information? Do you think NCL will put out a press release? I'm sure bookings in AB -AD would fill up BUT.....CV OS and GV will surely not be pleased.

If it is the policy..and at this point there is no indication that it is...NCL WILL make it known, if for no other reason than it would be required to change its Web site, or face charges of false adverstising.

Hi Everyone,

Just to clarify I have been told that all suites except Mini have access, but I have not checked on every grade. The staff are telling me it is a head office change. People are not sure if it is a trial or not.

Clearly for the Epic the new courtyard has been designed to cope with the larger number of suites. On these ships I can tell you that the courtyard can't cope.

Cagneys is the same at breakfast and lunch time.

On a port day (we were in Barcelona today) it is not too busy, it is the sea days that are the problem.

Anyway I decided to do what some of the other posters had suggested and I'm meeting with the hotel director tommorow at 5:30 PM to discuss the issue.

Jonathan

Anyway I decided to do what some of the other posters had suggested and I'm meeting with the hotel director tommorow at 5:30 PM to discuss the issue.

Good for you and I hope they can do something to compensate for this very unexpected, and no doubt unpleasant, experience you are having.

I wouldn't want compensation - I already paid a lot for my courtyard villa - I want peace and quiet and the ability to find a cushioned lounge chair, a spot in the hot tub and a swim in the pool in my UNCROWDED courtyard.

Money, would not be enough.

Since AB-AD did not expect access, and it only creates headaches for CV OS and GV WHY would NCL do this?

I can see on larger new ships like the Epic if they want to advertise and offer this perk - but since nothing is for sale in the Courtyard (drinks etc) what do they stand to gain by making this policy change?

Since this will not change for the current OP and their cruise-- i would think they have a good case for breach of contract and false advertising. They could sue NCL and the TA which sold it in small claims court for at least $5K.

What I do not understand is why none of the head executives have not replied to the emails sent??? The company needs to go public so shareholders will have some say in the management team.

This fiasco is another failure of top management to predict the impact to current customers on board these ships when policy changes are made after the sale via NCL's sales marketing methods such as their web site. Some

one in executive management should pay heavily for making this decision.

NCL needs to quit marketing unannounced tests after cruises are sold--they also need to have a better marketing impact input before implementing these test aboard full ships without prior full disclosure to the passengers.

Big Green

jonbrealey-

This reminds me of a time I interviewed for a job, which I accepted. When I reported for work on the first day, I was surprised to see that I was assigned a position that was very different than what I had agreed to. I refer to that experience as "the job from hell". Needless to say, I stayed less than a week.

YOU booked the CV as it was represented to you, based on printed advertising and the REPUTATION from past cruisers, agents, friends, etc. That is what your purchased. I feel that your experience is definately a "bait and switch" and I would not stand for it. I would not throw a fit, but rather handle it in the manner I learned from the book "Shocked, Apalled and Dismayed". Regardless, you were NOT delivered the product (experience) you bought. I really feel for you. You have been very forthcoming here on CC and I appreciate it. You did not lose your cool or act like a jerk. I would love to meet you and your family on a cruise someday.

Shocked, Appalled, and Dismayed! How to Write Letters of Complaint That Get Results (Paperback)

by Ellen Phillips (Author) "What do you do when you have a problem with a product, a service, or a company?..." (more)

Key Phrases: consumer action program, receipt enclosed, consumer protection office, United States, Federal Trade Commission, New York (more...)

51 Reviews

5 star:

(47)4 star:

(2)3 star:

(2)2 star: (0)1 star: (0)

See all 51 customer reviews...

4.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (51 customer reviews)

Here it is a day and a half since you first posted this development. Of course, as horses says we (not you) need to wait. What other choice do we have? But anyone who has booked a CY suite or in the process of doing so (like me) really needs clarification on this issue. I know my decision is impacted by how NCL handles this.

I wouldn't want compensation - I already paid a lot for my courtyard villa - I want peace and quiet and the ability to find a cushioned lounge chair, a spot in the hot tub and a swim in the pool in my UNCROWDED courtyard.

Money, would not be enough.

Since AB-AD did not expect access, and it only creates headaches for CV OS and GV WHY would NCL do this?

I can see on larger new ships like the Epic if they want to advertise and offer this perk - but since nothing is for sale in the Courtyard (drinks etc) what do they stand to gain by making this policy change?

Compensate doesn't always mean money but unfortunately now that they have opened the flood gates to "all" suites they (NCL) have put themselves in quite the predicament. If they boot those other folks out now they will have a mutiny, if they don't do something to compensate those that paid for a now diminished perk they will have a mutiny. Either way, they can't win. It would suck if they changed the rules on the non-CY guests mid-cruise as well; it's not their fault that this happened. To me, the only thing they could do to make me happy would be to boot the others out (probably not going to happen and I can see why) or reduce my fare to that of the comparable room fare for a non-CY suite. Not a perfect solution, and doesn't change the fact that my cruise would not be what I had expected it to be, but it would certainly help take the sting out and increase the odds that I would be back.

For the OPs sake, I hope they come up with something that will help them feel better about the situation.

they can never get back the "vacation that should have been". The underlying resentment alone would be enough to ruin the vacation they planned, paid for and anticipated - I know I daydream about my cruises for months, come here on CC, etc. And have expectations. Blatant disregard for CY pax.

Just received a phone call from the executive assistant to Mr. Sheehan.

She advises it was for a one week trial only and NCL does NOT intend to continue with allowing non GV CV and OS suite in the Courtyard.

Impressive......A phone call to reassure.

I can't wait to sail!

Excerpt from Post #54:

if it turns out that NCL really intends to do this, I'm all for knotted panties.

Now there's an interesting visual! :rolleyes:

As for the Courtyard being opened to other cabin levels, I see no problem with this (I think the Courtyard/Sundeck are often under-utilized) IF, in the future, NCL changes the pricing structure (so CV's and above are less, and the other newly-included cabins are more). However, if NCL has indeed made this change now, before doing any cost re-balancing and before negatively-affected parties are made aware of the change, then that seems unfair. Customers in CVs and above paid for 'x', but were delivered 'y'. If this is happening to them I hope NCL makes compensation in some appropriate manner.

Businesses make changes, some good and some not so good - but hopefully they'll do their best to keep everything fair and everyone happy in the process.

~Joyce

Just received a phone call from the executive assistant to Mr. Sheehan.

She advises it was for a one week trial only and NCL does NOT intend to continue with allowing non GV CV and OS suite in the Courtyard.

Impressive......A phone call to reassure.

I can't wait to sail!

in my mind this does not make up for the harm caused to the OP. They need to do away with these different trials.

Big green

I hope OP is reading this board. He has really contributed to the enjoyment of all future cruisers.

Perhpas NCL will send along a message to cease mid-week this trial and offer a small compensation to both CV guest for loss of use as well as the "trial" guests.

they can never get back the "vacation that should have been". The underlying resentment alone would be enough to ruin the vacation they planned, paid for and anticipated - I know I daydream about my cruises for months, come here on CC, etc. And have expectations. Blatant disregard for CY pax.
I agree 100% I would be really mad if this were to continue as I have a CV booked. We booked this so that my elderly mom would be comfortable. She was a little apprehensive at first because she has problems in crowds as she has a walker about taking this cruise but she is finally excited. Since she probably won't go on all the excursions she was looking forward to relaxing in the courtyard. If I had to tell her now that the courtyard is going to be super busy I think she would be totally dissapointed

Per my phone call FROM NCL two minutes ago. One week trial. Not a new policy. I let him know my feelings and I asked him to find whoever decided to try that IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE!
YIPPPEEEEE!!! (OP- hope you get something that will compensate you) Maybe you should hold out for free CV cruise to replace the one that has been so disappointing. I probably won't be called as I did not include my phone number in the email (besides I am at work).

in my mind this does not make up for the harm caused to the OP. They need to do away with these different trials.

Again, agree 100%!!

Big green

Dear Valued Guests,

We appreciate your feedback on the current test taking place on select ships which gave all suite guests access to our courtyard villa complex. Our research had previously shown that the courtyard villa complex was not being utilized to its fullest potential and therefore we wanted to conduct this test which was intended to take place during the current cruise only and will end at the conclusion of the sailing.

Our on-board staff has been closely monitoring guest usage and reaction to this test. They have been sharing information and feedback with our shoreside team. At Norwegian Cruise Line, we are passionate about innovation and, therefore, we are constantly working on ways to add value to the Freestyle experience. We listen to all of our guests’ feedback and want to thank you for your input.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Archived