Question about alcohol cut off time

mstery56

I've searched this forum for over an hour but haven't found an answer to this question. I know the liquor stores have a cut off time after which you can't purchase alcohol to be delivered to the ship, but I can't find what the time is. I would really like to buy some rum in Grand Cayman. The ship will be there from 7-4. We are doing the NativeWay Rays, Reefs, & Rum Point tour which I know takes a long time. We leave at 8:15 and the confirmation email says the tour is over about 1:30. Don't know if 1:30 is the time we leave Rum Point or the time we get back. Are the stores open early enough to buy before we go on our excursion or will we back in time to beat the cut off? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I can't say for sure what time the cutoff is, but the last time that I was there, I boarded the last tender immediately after buying rum in the shop next to the tender. I know that it was only half an hour or so before the ship left GC. If you're going to be back even at 3:00 I think you'll make it. Is there any reason that you wouldn't just carry the rum back on to the ship yourself and check it in upon boarding?

According to what I've read on these boards, you can't just buy it and carry it on board. The store has to deliver it to the ship and you get it the last night of the cruise. That's why the stores have a cut off time. Good to know you were able to buy before getting on last tender though. Thanks.

According to what I've read on these boards, you can't just buy it and carry it on board. The store has to deliver it to the ship and you get it the last night of the cruise. That's why the stores have a cut off time. Good to know you were able to buy before getting on last tender though. Thanks.

That's correct. From our experience, alcohol purchased in GC cannot be carried out of the store and back to the ship; they deliver it to the ship. But I don't know the cut-off.

The liquor store must deliver if you want to pay duty free prices. If you don't mind paying more (much more) then you can buy and carry it with you.

Typically cut off time for delivery to the ship is an hour or two prior to last tender. Since each ship may leave at a different time, there is no one cut off time.

1:30 is when you should be back at the dock in grand cayman.

Leaving by 4-- I think your last tender will be at 3pm. (gives you an hour to shop right there.

There is a duty free store right there at the pier- go across the street and shop elsewhere. it will be cheaper and less crowded.

I think many people shop at the duty free store because they think its the only place.

Cut-off times vary with the ship's departure time and the location of the liquor store. George Town stores that cater to ship clients usually post their cut-off times each day for each ship. Remember, they're all closed on Sundays!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived