Staying on shore in Vietnam

alanmal

I am doing a Saigon to Hanoi to Danang 3 day land (fly) tour and skipping the sea day on the Ocean Princess. FYI, the ships visa are not valid for the air portion to Hanoi, as per info from Vietnam Embassy. You need to obtain a regular visa ($65.00 USD), from the embassy or use a visa service. The embassy accepts mail or fedex sent applications. I will tell the pursers desk not to issue me there visa. Anybody needing more info can e-mail me alanmal@aol.com

I am doing a Saigon to Hanoi to Danang 3 day land (fly) tour and skipping the sea day on the Ocean Princess. FYI, the ships visa are not valid for the air portion to Hanoi, as per info from Vietnam Embassy. You need to obtain a regular visa ($65.00 USD), from the embassy or use a visa service. The embassy accepts mail or fedex sent applications. I will tell the pursers desk not to issue me there visa. Anybody needing more info can e-mail me alanmal@aol.com

Just curious what the schedule is on your ship? We are on Azamaa Quest but the scheduling does not lend itself to going to Hanoi. We go from Danang to 2 days in Saigon...

Just curious what the schedule is on your ship? We are on Azamaa Quest but the scheduling does not lend itself to going to Hanoi. We go from Danang to 2 days in Saigon...

Ocean Princess, Saigon, sea day, Danang

Thanks for the heads-up on this issue. My husband is leaving our ship, the Azamara Quest, in Saigon to fly to Hue for birdwatching for two days before catching back up with the ship in Da Nang. We were told Azamara would get our Vietnam visas and had not thought that they would not work for his flight.

Thanks for the heads-up on this issue. My husband is leaving our ship, the Azamara Quest, in Saigon to fly to Hue for birdwatching for two days before catching back up with the ship in Da Nang. We were told Azamara would get our Vietnam visas and had not thought that they would not work for his flight.

There is a department at Azamara where you need to email to make a formal request to leave the ship. I haven't heard back from them and it's been a few days.

There is a department at Azamara where you need to email to make a formal request to leave the ship. I haven't heard back from them and it's been a few days.

Same thing with Princess. I have done it in the past at other ports. You e-mail a certain person of your plans, he responds. You give both e-mail to the pursers desk and then they know you are not coming back when they sail. Also have done it with RCCL.

Get your own visa. The "bulk issued" ship visa's are NOT good for flying or driving when you are off the ship.

You can do "visa on arrival" which is through a Vietnamese travel agency (don't forget the picture-you need at least one passport size picture) OR just get a visa through a visa agency or Vietnamese consulate in the USA. TAKE extra pictures. Cambodia sometimes requires a passport picture (depends on how much you pay them when they issue the visa whether they make a stink about the picture or not), Vietnam ALWAYS asks for pictures except for the bulk issued ship visas. DO NOT pay for the ship visa for your husband.

I did hear back from RCCL/Azamara and have their approval to leave the ship overnight.

• 2 weeks later...
Ocean Princess, Saigon, sea day, Danang

Azamara Quest.

We have:

Hong Kong

Hong Kong (Depart 8:00pm)

Sea Day

Danang (7:00am-7:00pm)

Sea Day

Saigon (9:00am)

Saigon (4:00pm departure)

Sea Day

Cambodia (6:00am)

Bangkok (4:00pm)

Bangkok

Bangkok (depart 1:00pm)

Sea Day

Singapore (4:00pm)

I wonder if I will regret not flying to Hanoi. I don't think my DH will agree since we are already leaving the ship in Cambodia for an overnight.

Any comments?

Azamara Quest.

We have:

Hong Kong

Hong Kong (Depart 8:00pm)

Sea Day

Danang (7:00am-7:00pm)

Sea Day

Saigon (9:00am)

Saigon (4:00pm departure)

Sea Day

Cambodia (6:00am)

Bangkok (4:00pm)

Bangkok

Bangkok (depart 1:00pm)

Sea Day

Singapore (4:00pm)

I wonder if I will regret not flying to Hanoi. I don't think my DH will agree since we are already leaving the ship in Cambodia for an overnight.

Any comments?

Only a couple of ships do Hanoi (Howlong Bay). Just think of the flight back to Asia for a cruise, just to see a city you missed the last time. We were on the Sapphire Princess 2 years ago and because of very late season typoons we missed 4 ports. We are going back to do these 4 ports and do Hanoi. We had a RCCL cruise 2 years in a row that goes to Howlong Bay only once a season that was chartered adn we did not go with there Azamara suggestion. It is very cheap to fly to the 2 destinations (saigon to Hanoi and Hanoi to Danang. Total with 3 private tours, hotels and plane tickets, for 2 is about $700.00. If you want more info e-mail me at: alanmal@aol.com

Only a couple of ships do Hanoi (Howlong Bay). Just think of the flight back to Asia for a cruise, just to see a city you missed the last time. We were on the Sapphire Princess 2 years ago and because of very late season typoons we missed 4 ports. We are going back to do these 4 ports and do Hanoi. We had a RCCL cruise 2 years in a row that goes to Howlong Bay only once a season that was chartered adn we did not go with there Azamara suggestion. It is very cheap to fly to the 2 destinations (saigon to Hanoi and Hanoi to Danang. Total with 3 private tours, hotels and plane tickets, for 2 is about $700.00. If you want more info e-mail me at: alanmal@aol.com

Alan,

Wow, that must have been some typoon. What 4 ports did you miss? I am unclear if you were suppose to be on the RCCL cruise and than it got chartered so this is your second time in the area?

Have you been to Angkor Wat? We are already leaving the ship in Cambodia and catching up in Bangkok. My DH actually likes the sea days. I guess we have to decide at what point it's worth skipping a good portion of a cruise you have paid for to go off on 5 days of land vacation (in our case). Also, isn't the Saigon to Hanoi flight two hours? I actually wish the ship was coming in the day before and we could fly out for the day to Hanoi. Also, if we go to Hanoi we will miss Halong Bay so it seems we would have to go back for one or the other. Oh, if we took the Azamara cruise that goes to Hanoi/Halong Bay we still could have flown to Angkor Wat from Bangkok, but we would have missed Bangkok. I worked there one summer so looking forward to going back. Azamara could have tweaked our itinerary to include Hanoi and Saigon (one day) but that's not what they did.

Alan,

Wow, that must have been some typoon. What 4 ports did you miss? I am unclear if you were suppose to be on the RCCL cruise and than it got chartered so this is your second time in the area?

Have you been to Angkor Wat? We are already leaving the ship in Cambodia and catching up in Bangkok. My DH actually likes the sea days. I guess we have to decide at what point it's worth skipping a good portion of a cruise you have paid for to go off on 5 days of land vacation (in our case). Also, isn't the Saigon to Hanoi flight two hours? I actually wish the ship was coming in the day before and we could fly out for the day to Hanoi. Also, if we go to Hanoi we will miss Halong Bay so it seems we would have to go back for one or the other. Oh, if we took the Azamara cruise that goes to Hanoi/Halong Bay we still could have flown to Angkor Wat from Bangkok, but we would have missed Bangkok. I worked there one summer so looking forward to going back. Azamara could have tweaked our itinerary to include Hanoi and Saigon (one day) but that's not what they did.

It was 3 seperate typhoons, this will be our 3rd trip to orient, 1st was with Viking River, 2nd was the Sapphire, which missed, Saigon, Danang, Okinawa and Teipai. To us sea days are a waste, we do private tours in vans if more than 2 couple and a car if we are alone. We go at our own pace and make sure we do the important things and if we a running shor t of time skip the little thing s or cut shopping short. The flight from Saigon to Hanoi is 2 hours and 1:45 from hanoi to Danang. With what you told me you cand do Saigon on day one, then fly to Halong Bay, see that on 2nd day, drive the 2 hours to Hanoi and see that on the 3rd day and fly to Danang and see that on the 4tha nd 5th day if I remember correctly you have 5 days for Saigon and Danang. Danang include Hui and Ho-an.

Rccl sold me out 2 years in a row by chartering the only sailing that goes to Holong Bay. they offered me a $200.00 OBC to switch to Azamara. I had booked Azamara as a back up 1 week before the official notice of cancellation (with a $300.00OBC). There rep. told me that she would put the $200 on top of the $300, 2 days later they called me and said no way could they do that. I told them fine myself and 5 other couples are cancelling. which we did. Never been to Anker Wat. We are going to Ko Samui which has 5 very unusal budha's, the 39 arm one and the big reclining one.

Rccl sold me out 2 years in a row by chartering the only sailing that goes to Holong Bay. they offered me a $200.00 OBC to switch to Azamara. I had booked Azamara as a back up 1 week before the official notice of cancellation (with a $300.00OBC). There rep. told me that she would put the $200 on top of the $300, 2 days later they called me and said no way could they do that. I told them fine myself and 5 other couples are cancelling. which we did. Never been to Anker Wat. We are going to Ko Samui which has 5 very unusal budha's, the 39 arm one and the big reclining one.

I remember this. I believe you posted this on another board. From my experience RCCL has the worst land/pre-cruise customer service in the industry. I wrote about this on my Celebrity Century review. And Azamara uses the same customer service.

If I had $300.00 OBC (which we do this year as it was offered directly by Azamara earlier this year) and I was also offered $200.00 OBC because my cruise was chartered, I'd be po'd if they called me 2 days later to tell me they couldn't do that. It wasn't clear how far in advance you were chartered and if you had already purchasd your international air, but it doesn't matter.

I hope to get to Ko Samui next trip (I lived/worked in Thailand in the past but never went that far south). We have a friend whose company has a resort on Phuket and DH's company owns a resort there and Ko Samui, so would want to do this as a land vacation.

It was 3 seperate typhoons, this will be our 3rd trip to orient, 1st was with Viking River, 2nd was the Sapphire, which missed, Saigon, Danang, Okinawa and Teipai. To us sea days are a waste, we do private tours in vans if more than 2 couple and a car if we are alone. We go at our own pace and make sure we do the important things and if we a running shor t of time skip the little thing s or cut shopping short. The flight from Saigon to Hanoi is 2 hours and 1:45 from hanoi to Danang. With what you told me you cand do Saigon on day one, then fly to Halong Bay, see that on 2nd day, drive the 2 hours to Hanoi and see that on the 3rd day and fly to Danang and see that on the 4tha nd 5th day if I remember correctly you have 5 days for Saigon and Danang. Danang include Hui and Ho-an.

Alan,

We are:

Da Nang

Sea Day

Saigon

Saigon

The reason I said 5 days off the ship was because we are leaving the ship in Cambodia (2 days after Saigon) to go to Angkor Wat (so if we left in Da Nang and rejoined in Saigon it would be another 3 days gone).

My Dh said no way he is getting an another plane. Also, I thought Halong Bay was 3 hours from Hanoi? So, we would be looking at flying almost 2 hours to Hanoi and than 3 hours drive each way to Halong. We'd have time to look at the Bay before driving hours back to Hanoi. If we "saw" the Bay we'd miss Hanoi, etc. We basically chose Angkor Wat over Hanoi/Halong Bay since we had to make the choice with Azamara. Also note we are flying all the way to Bejing for one day pre-cruise so that we can go to the Great Wall. Have you been to Bejing and who did you use for a tour?

Alan,

We are:

Da Nang

Sea Day

Saigon

Saigon

The reason I said 5 days off the ship was because we are leaving the ship in Cambodia (2 days after Saigon) to go to Angkor Wat (so if we left in Da Nang and rejoined in Saigon it would be another 3 days gone).

My Dh said no way he is getting an another plane. Also, I thought Halong Bay was 3 hours from Hanoi? So, we would be looking at flying almost 2 hours to Hanoi and than 3 hours drive each way to Halong. We'd have time to look at the Bay before driving hours back to Hanoi. If we "saw" the Bay we'd miss Hanoi, etc. We basically chose Angkor Wat over Hanoi/Halong Bay since we had to make the choice with Azamara. Also note we are flying all the way to Bejing for one day pre-cruise so that we can go to the Great Wall. Have you been to Bejing and who did you use for a tour?

If it was me, I would do Danang for 1 day and fly that evening to Holong by, spend the day there, then drive that nite to Hanoi, see Hanoi on the 3rd day and fly that nite to Saigon and see Saigon and then back to ship the next day.

One trip to Vietnam is enough for us, unless they build a Disney World there.

If it was me, I would do Danang for 1 day and fly that evening to Holong by, spend the day there, then drive that nite to Hanoi, see Hanoi on the 3rd day and fly that nite to Saigon and see Saigon and then back to ship the next day.

One trip to Vietnam is enough for us, unless they build a Disney World there.

Please be aware that the main airport that serves Hanoi/Halong is 20+ miles (about 45 minute drive) NORTH of Hanoi. Halong is about 100 miles EAST of Hanoi. The new road from the airport cuts off about 30KM without going into Hanoi, BUT I found it even more crowded because it is designed to serve all the truck traffic from the airport to the coastal ports than the old standby "everybody" road FROM Hanoi., It takes as long if not longer to get to Halong/Cai Phong/Haiphong. I made the trip on the "new road" in April to check on some of my freight in Haiphong-I won't do it again.

There is an airport in Haiphong, which has iffy service by Vietnam airlines and JetStar for domestic Vietnam flights. BUT getting from Haiphong to Halong takes a 3 hour ferry ride, a 2+ hour drive (depending on traffic, which is not quite as bad as traffic from Hanoi) or a "fast boat" to Cat Ba City, then a bus/taxi to Halong.

Your schedule would not work well. There are few places to stay in Halong suitable for Westerners other than the "junk" boats, which all leave about noon from the dock. So you would essentially either have to go to Hanoi for lodging and take the day trip the next day, stay in one of the backpacker "guesthouses" in Halong overnight, then take the day trip OR rent the entire boat for overnight (about $1500).

The beauty of Halong Bay is all the nooks and crannies, which are generally not viewed on the day trips. The day trips leave Hanoi about 8, 3 hour drive + stop to Halong, leave the dock about noon. You really only have enough time to MAYBE see Cat Ba Island (not all day trips go there). All trips go to Hang Sung cave for about an hour so it depends on how fast you see the cave how much else you see. They try to get all the day trip boats back to the docks about 5PM, because it is AGAIN, a 3 hour drive into Hanoi (makes for a long day for the guides). So you miss a lot of things on the day trips.

Please be aware that the main airport that serves Hanoi/Halong is 20+ miles (about 45 minute drive) NORTH of Hanoi. Halong is about 100 miles EAST of Hanoi. The new road from the airport cuts off about 30KM without going into Hanoi, BUT I found it even more crowded because it is designed to serve all the truck traffic from the airport to the coastal ports than the old standby "everybody" road FROM Hanoi., It takes as long if not longer to get to Halong/Cai Phong/Haiphong. I made the trip on the "new road" in April to check on some of my freight in Haiphong-I won't do it again.

There is an airport in Haiphong, which has iffy service by Vietnam airlines and JetStar for domestic Vietnam flights. BUT getting from Haiphong to Halong takes a 3 hour ferry ride, a 2+ hour drive (depending on traffic, which is not quite as bad as traffic from Hanoi) or a "fast boat" to Cat Ba City, then a bus/taxi to Halong.

Your schedule would not work well. There are few places to stay in Halong suitable for Westerners other than the "junk" boats, which all leave about noon from the dock. So you would essentially either have to go to Hanoi for lodging and take the day trip the next day, stay in one of the backpacker "guesthouses" in Halong overnight, then take the day trip OR rent the entire boat for overnight (about $1500).

The beauty of Halong Bay is all the nooks and crannies, which are generally not viewed on the day trips. The day trips leave Hanoi about 8, 3 hour drive + stop to Halong, leave the dock about noon. You really only have enough time to MAYBE see Cat Ba Island (not all day trips go there). All trips go to Hang Sung cave for about an hour so it depends on how fast you see the cave how much else you see. They try to get all the day trip boats back to the docks about 5PM, because it is AGAIN, a 3 hour drive into Hanoi (makes for a long day for the guides). So you miss a lot of things on the day trips.

Greatam, we have decided not to fly here because Dh doesn't want to get on any more planes this trip and we would just miss out in Saigon. Also, based on your earlier post I recall you had said it was a 3 hour drive to Halong Bay, so we would be flying to Hanoi to see Hanoi but would eventually have to come back to Vietnam if we want to go to Halong Bay (Our cruise is Da Nang, Sea Day, Saigon, Saigon - 4:00pm departure so we have to be back by 2:30pm or so). Alan is going in the other direction as his cruise on Princess is Saigon, Sea Day, Da Nang. Perhaps he can tell us what his tour guide has planned. Plus I wasn't clear if his ship has an overnight in Da Nang?

We are flying to Siem Reap, but when we arrive back in Bangkok our ship is scheduled for 2 nights so we have a good buffer if there are any delays, plus the ships tour to Siem Reap is staying 2 nights so they will be behind us.

Greatam, we have decided not to fly here because Dh doesn't want to get on any more planes this trip and we would just miss out in Saigon. Also, based on your earlier post I recall you had said it was a 3 hour drive to Halong Bay, so we would be flying to Hanoi to see Hanoi but would eventually have to come back to Vietnam if we want to go to Halong Bay (Our cruise is Da Nang, Sea Day, Saigon, Saigon - 4:00pm departure so we have to be back by 2:30pm or so). Alan is going in the other direction as his cruise on Princess is Saigon, Sea Day, Da Nang. Perhaps he can tell us what his tour guide has planned. Plus I wasn't clear if his ship has an overnight in Da Nang?

We are flying to Siem Reap, but when we arrive back in Bangkok our ship is scheduled for 2 nights so we have a good buffer if there are any delays, plus the ships tour to Siem Reap is staying 2 nights so they will be behind us.

No overnite in Danang. Send me your e-mail addi and I will send you back the itinerary I have booked with him.

Alanmal@aol.com

No overnite in Danang. Send me your e-mail addi and I will send you back the itinerary I have booked with him.

Alanmal@aol.com

Ok, I emailed you. Even if you tour Saigon on Day 1 and fly into Hanoi that night, I am trying to understand how on Day 2 you are going to see Hanoi, drive 3 hours each way to Halong Bay and also take a 1.5 hour flight back to Da Nang that same day? That's 7.5 hours of transportation, plus you have to be at the airport at least an hour early for the flight.

Ok, I emailed you. Even if you tour Saigon on Day 1 and fly into Hanoi that night, I am trying to understand how on Day 2 you are going to see Hanoi, drive 3 hours each way to Halong Bay and also take a 1.5 hour flight back to Da Nang that same day? That's 7.5 hours of transportation, plus you have to be at the airport at least an hour early for the flight.

Originally I was going to go this route, Saigon, then fly to Danang, see danag on 2nd day, (which was sea day), then fly to Holong Bay, see that on 3r day (which would be danang), drive to Hanoi that evening and see Hanoi on the 4th day, (which is a sea day on the way to Hong Kong). Fly to Hong Kong the next morning with a United Air flight at 6AM to Hong Kong for $200.00PP, we have been to hong Kong before, we would rest that moring and walk the old Kowloon section in the afternoon a then upto Victoria's peak for the light show. Unfortunatly for us, United gave up the route back to Caty pacifi, which now wanted $800 PP. Changed itinerary at that point.

• 1 month later...

We are on the 1/9/2010 Azamara cruise out of Hong Kong. The ship docks in Danang, where we will need a visa, then in Saigon, we are planning to leave the ship and fly out of Saigon to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Do we need to obtain a multi-day visa from the consulate or a single entry visa for our flight out and use the ships visa for our excursion in Danang? (Which way would be more economical?) Also, does anyone have suggestions on a tour guide to take us to Hoi An, rather than do the ship excursion?

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the 1/9/2010 Azamara cruise out of Hong Kong. The ship docks in Danang, where we will need a visa, then in Saigon, we are planning to leave the ship and fly out of Saigon to Siem Reap, Cambodia. Do we need to obtain a multi-day visa from the consulate or a single entry visa for our flight out and use the ships visa for our excursion in Danang? (Which way would be more economical?) Also, does anyone have suggestions on a tour guide to take us to Hoi An, rather than do the ship excursion?

Try Smile Tours for Hoi An although I haven't used them yet. Where do you rejoin the ship after leaving HCMC? You are missing Saigon?

I understand from these posts that if you leave the ship and fly in/out you need a standard visa for vietnam, not the ship's visa.

What about if you are just leaving for the night but returning to the ship?

When we are in North Vietnam a group of us have chartered a junk and will be overnight on Halong bay.

Will we need a special visa or will the one provided by Azamara be acceptable?

Will we need to take our passports with us?

Thanks for the help!

I understand from these posts that if you leave the ship and fly in/out you need a standard visa for vietnam, not the ship's visa.

What about if you are just leaving for the night but returning to the ship?

When we are in North Vietnam a group of us have chartered a junk and will be overnight on Halong bay.

Will we need a special visa or will the one provided by Azamara be acceptable?

Will we need to take our passports with us?

Thanks for the help!

I'm going to make a fairly educated guess. The ship ports overnight, correct??? The ship visa is good while the ship is in port, as long as your are not getting on a plane or leaving the country via land or water. You should be good to go, BUT I would still call the cruise line to verify.

PS-there is no North Vietnam. You may be very promptly told that you are in the SOCIALIST REPUBLIC of VIETNAM (what an oxymoron). Old habits die hard. And they still aren't as friendly to Westerners as they are in the south. Enjoy!!!!

Archived