Latest with Caracas?

fraidycats

Onboard Golden Princess-

When flying into San Juan last week, we thought we would be going to La Guaira, however once onboard last Sunday, we were advised that we would be going to ISDM instead, due to docking difficulties. We were only in ISDM for a half day and as the port is so far away from the main town (45min taxi ride), we did not leave the ship.

that Princess with the situation being what it is in Caracas still seems to play it week by week or day by day. If political unrest is so bad one week, how much better can it be the next? Am I the only one who thinks it would be better to have them select a safer port and leave it at that until the political situtation is safe for some time? We actually selected our upcoming cruise on the Golden because we were looking for a port intensive itinerary. I guess I should have done my homework on Caracas..:( Personally I 'd vote for a stop in Curacao.

Just got off the Golden Princess 12/26. . .we went to IDM and absolutely loved it! We didn't venture on our own because of the short port time 7-11:30 AM. We did the La Restinga Lagoon tour and just had a wonderful time with our guide Orlando. First we went to a botanical garden where Orlando had an immense amount of knowledge about all of the plants and trees there. They also had a large assortment of native animals such as monkeys, parrots, snakes, tarantulas, etc. They also had an assortment of fruits to sample such as papaya, sugar cane, finger bananas, etc. Then we were off to the lagoon tour. The boat operator did not speak english but we were able to communicate. He drove the boat (with the five of us in it only) up to the mangrove trees and reached down with a glass jar. When he pulled it up, there was a sea horse in it! We were able to pass it around and then the sea horse was returned to his home. Next, we were able to see bright orange star fish that also live on the mangrove trees' roots. In addition, we saw oysters, pelicans, egrets, eagles, and many other kinds of birds, plants, and trees. We had a blast! I would really recommend this excursion. All of the people who went on it with us felt that it was really wonderful!

Archived