Whales in April

starr52

We are thinking of taking a cruise to the Mexican Rivera in early April. I know that all the whale watching tours only go through March but would it still be possible to see whales? This may seem like a silly question but we love whale watching.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone has.

It's alway's possible. The whales don't have a specific schedule so things can vary from year to year. It is however fairly remote that they will still be around in April. It gets pretty thin, the last week of March, but you never know. If the catamaran companies are still offering whale watching excursions, then you have a chance of seeing them. If the catamarans have switched over to snorkeling excursions, then the whales have mostly gone save for a stray or two. The fact that a water taxi or glass bottom boat offers you a whale watching excursion does not mean the whales are still around, only that they are willing to take your money and MAYBE you will see a whale. The catamaran companies are really the best barometer of whether the whales are still around. They will switch over to snorkeling when the whales are gone.

There are always the odd pods..."families"....that stay in one area year round....but not many. By April they are headed off to warmer water...Hawaii mostly....to breed and calf.

But you may see some that late in the warmer waters of Mexico.

Went first week in April a few years back and saw one mother whale with her baby but we had been out for quite a long time before we happened upon her. It was awesome but we could have easily missed her as most had seemed to move north

There are always the odd pods..."families"....that stay in one area year round....but not many. By April they are headed off to warmer water...Hawaii mostly....to breed and calf.

But you may see some that late in the warmer waters of Mexico.

Actually the vast majority of the whales we have here are migratory but they head North when they leave. We have whale species and dolphin year round including Orcas, Minke, Sperm and Pilots but they are seen more further up Sea of Cortez.

The migratory whales here do not go to Hawaii. They travel for approximately 3 months to the waters off Alaska and Bering Straite area (as well as points abit further south from there). There are 3 seperate groups of humpbacks: one that that summers off California and winters in Mexico or Costa Rica, one group that summers off Northern US and heads to Hawaii for winter and the third group that summer in the Aleutians feeding and winter in Hawaii.

Grays travel the furthest down here - approx. 6,000 miles each way. There they feed for approximatly 3 months up North building up blubber to sustain them for the 3 month trip down here again. They stay here approx. 3 months mating and calving. The baleen species of whales (including humpback, grays) do not eat 99.99% of the time here (toothed species such as Blues do feed year round). Calves born here nurse alot to build up strength for the trip back north - so moms with late born calves are sometimes the last ones to leave the area (early May) to give the calves more time to grow and bulk up for the long journey north.

This kinda explains why the big difference with the whale watching sightings here and in Alaska is what the whales are doing. In Alaska, the whales are mainly feeding and most whales feed underwater such as the baleen species (incld. grays, humpbacks) and only a few are usually seen at the surface such as the toothed species. But down here, you can see more whales at the surface and "jumping" out of the water. Without going into graphic details here is the G-rated version... the majority of whales here are playing the dating game where showing off and having the most impressive splashes and breeches can win a male whale a date so to speak. There is also alot of barnacle growth and "stuff" that accumulates on the whales skin in the warmer waters down that they knock off by breeching or rolling on the rocky bottom along the coastline here.

Sorry to ramble but I love whales! And sea turtles!

Is there any chance of seeing whales in late September? Okay, I understand that there is always a "chance," but you know what I mean. I have a 7 year old daughter that is dolphin, orca, whale, and seal/sea lion obsessed and I'd love for her to have an opportunity to some of these creatures up-close.

Any suggestions? We'll be in PV, Cabo and Mazatlan in late September with NCL.

Thanks!

Karen

I've been living in Vallarta for over seven years and have not heard of any humpback whales being in the bay in September or October. November yes, rarely and once in a while in April. I have also seen Orcas in July, which is uncommon, but hey, anything can happen in Mexico :)

Actually the vast majority of the whales we have here are migratory but they head North when they leave. We have whale species and dolphin year round including Orcas, Minke, Sperm and Pilots but they are seen more further up Sea of Cortez.

The migratory whales here do not go to Hawaii. They travel for approximately 3 months to the waters off Alaska and Bering Straite area (as well as points abit further south from there). There are 3 seperate groups of humpbacks: one that that summers off California and winters in Mexico or Costa Rica, one group that summers off Northern US and heads to Hawaii for winter and the third group that summer in the Aleutians feeding and winter in Hawaii.

Grays travel the furthest down here - approx. 6,000 miles each way. There they feed for approximatly 3 months up North building up blubber to sustain them for the 3 month trip down here again. They stay here approx. 3 months mating and calving. The baleen species of whales (including humpback, grays) do not eat 99.99% of the time here (toothed species such as Blues do feed year round). Calves born here nurse alot to build up strength for the trip back north - so moms with late born calves are sometimes the last ones to leave the area (early May) to give the calves more time to grow and bulk up for the long journey north.

This kinda explains why the big difference with the whale watching sightings here and in Alaska is what the whales are doing. In Alaska, the whales are mainly feeding and most whales feed underwater such as the baleen species (incld. grays, humpbacks) and only a few are usually seen at the surface such as the toothed species. But down here, you can see more whales at the surface and "jumping" SURPRISED YOU FORGOT TO MENTION SPY-HOPPING AS WELL (ALSO A VERY COMMON BEHAVIOR DOWN MEXICO WAY) out of the water. Without going into graphic details here is the G-rated version... the majority of whales here are playing the dating game where showing off and having the most impressive splashes and breeches can win a male whale a date so to speak. ONE OF THESE DAY'S, I WANT TO GET TO ONE OF THE LAGOONS WHERE THE R-RATED FROLICKING OCCURS. There is also alot of barnacle growth and "stuff" that accumulates on the whales skin in the warmer waters down that they knock off by breeching or rolling on the rocky bottom along the coastline here.

Sorry to ramble but I love whales! And sea turtles!

Love whale watching in mid February in Cabo. Mom's are out with their juveniles trying to teach them how to behave.

It looks like we will be there on Valentines Day this year......if plans go ok.:) I wonder if there will be any romance in the air?;)

Ginny I have already contacted for an excursion in Cabo if you're interested. When he e-mails me that he's taking reservations I'll post it on our thread.

We will be in Cabo on Regatta Feb. 12, what cruise ship are you on? but we are in Acapulco for Valentines Day...and for sure some romance will be around..it is our first anniversary !

enjoy your cruise

The Radiance OTS

Ginny I have already contacted for an excursion in Cabo if you're interested. When he e-mails me that he's taking reservations I'll post it on our thread.

I would be. Thanks!:)

Archived