Seattle Intransit, Pier 91

SilvertoGold

We'll be in Seattle intransit, presumably at Pier 91.

Many posts about Pier 91 have noted that there is no shopping, sights, etc, within miles. Taxi to the downtown area is suggested.

Having been to Seattle many times and being serious walkers, we would prefer to walk around the pier area for 2 to 3 hours, morning and afternoon.

Could anyone comment if there is a pedestrian path out of the pier area and where a good place to walk be.

Thanks

SilvertoGold

I would suggest making your way out of the terminal and walking towards downtown (so south) to Myrtle Edwards Park and the Olympic Sculpture Garden: http://www.cityofseattle.gov/Parks/park_detail.asp?ID=311

I would estimate it's about 1.5 miles or so from the terminal to the northern end of the park, but the problem is accessing it as there are railroad tracks between the park and the road and I'm not sure if there are pedestrian bridges over the tracks towards the northern end of the park--so you might have to access it from the southern part near the sculpture garden.

Actually, if you've seen the city and just want to get out and walk, I might suggest you walk up to the overpass (Magnolia Bridge) by the terminal and catch a No. 33 Metro bus out to Discovery Park in Magnolia. There, you can do a 3-mile loop through the park .... it's a great park. Former military installation, woods, beaches, a bluff with gorgeous views. Definitely check the bus timetables though, as I'm not sure how frequently the bus runs to/from there and there's no taxis trolling by for your return trip.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/cftemplates/show_map.cfm?BUS_ROUTE=033&DAY_NAV=WSU

We'll be in Seattle intransit, presumably at Pier 91.

Many posts about Pier 91 have noted that there is no shopping, sights, etc, within miles. Taxi to the downtown area is suggested.

Having been to Seattle many times and being serious walkers, we would prefer to walk around the pier area for 2 to 3 hours, morning and afternoon.

Could anyone comment if there is a pedestrian path out of the pier area and where a good place to walk be.

Thanks

SilvertoGold

In transit ships don't stop at Terminal 91, unless it is Friday, Sat or Sunday when there is another ship at Pier 66.

NWWanderer and Sailorgirlseattle: Thanks to both of you -- great suggestions. I think we could do both!

But, SeattleCruiselover, I have tried the Seattle Port website but could not find anything about which ships will dock where. This will make a difference to our plans if we are at Pier 66 (on a Thursday).

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

SilvertoGold

NWWanderer and Sailorgirlseattle: Thanks to both of you -- great suggestions. I think we could do both!

But, SeattleCruiselover, I have tried the Seattle Port website but could not find anything about which ships will dock where. This will make a difference to our plans if we are at Pier 66 (on a Thursday).

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

SilvertoGold

What ship and when are you coming in? The only ship that is normally in town on Thursday is Pacific Princess on alternate weeks, and she docks at Terminal 91.

We are sailing on HAL- Volendam on September 24 on their repositioning cruise to Kobe, Japan. It starts on Sept. 23 in Vancouver, so I guess Seattle is considered "in Transit." Does this mean that we will not be boarding at Pier 91 but at Pier 66 downtown?

Karen

We are sailing on HAL- Volendam on September 24 on their repositioning cruise to Kobe, Japan. It starts on Sept. 23 in Vancouver, so I guess Seattle is considered "in Transit." Does this mean that we will not be boarding at Pier 91 but at Pier 66 downtown?

Karen

If there are no other ships in port that day, you will probably be at Pier 66. Otherwise she will dock at HAL's usual mooring at Terminal 91.

Archived