Coffee Makers

Caddy928

I have read on several reviews that the coffee on the Caribbean Princess is lacking in taste. Can anyone suggest a good cheap coffee maker that will pack easy? I want to sit on my balcony and enjoy a good cup of coffee while the sun rises or sets.

Thank you for your input, derf5585. Are both of those items available upon request on Princess ships? Unfortunately, neither of them seem quite appropriate for heating water for tea.

Does Princess have any electric kettle available on request, that would work for heating water for tea?

Can you not request a hot pot for your cabin?

Actually, Princess is not one of the lines that provide hot pots in the cabins. If you were to call room service though, they would probably have a pot of hot water to you in about 10 minutes, no charge of course (regular room service is free).

Hey derf!! haven't seen you around much lately! love your links!

We always purchase the regular 'inexpensive' drip coffee makers at this time of year, we buy enough for all of the cruises coming up. Usually the price runs between $5-$8 when they have them on sale around the holidays. Then we leave it behind for the cabin steward that is so greatful you just wouldn't believe it, along with any extra coffee we have. So far it has worked great and we have been very happy with it, along with out cabin stewards.

Plus, since we leave it behind it always leaves just enough extra room in the luggage for anything we have bought along the way on our cruise.

Well let's just say Derf that the coffee maker is an added bonus to the extra gratuity we give over and above the normal amount when we have been given excellent service. :D Kind of like a little EXTRA surprise that puts a smile on their faces. Never meant or said that the coffee maker was the only extra thing we leave with the room steward, it is just our way of saying thank you.

I have read on several reviews that the coffee on the Caribbean Princess is lacking in taste. Can anyone suggest a good cheap coffee maker that will pack easy? I want to sit on my balcony and enjoy a good cup of coffee while the sun rises or sets.

Just off the Caribbean Princess today- the coffee was just fine

Here, look for yourself:

Delicious_Coffee.jpg

I'm not sure what they've done differently but this was one dang good cup of coffee!

The day before we boarded the Sapphire last August, we stopped at a local grocery store and bought sturdy coffee mug, immersion heater, coffee bags and tea for hubby to use (I'm not into coffee) as well as bottled water. He was able to make cup of coffee and tea whenever he wanted on the ship and then on train trip back home (current not as reliable on train so it took more time to heat). If we were going straight home (w/o add'l travel) he would've offered the items to the room steward. As long as it is add'l to the gratuity, often it's an useful item they may like to have as we've seen in the past.

I wonder if the non-monitary gifts are as welcome by crew members as monitary.

We do both...

I second the coffee-maker idea. But also a great way to get good coffee is a French press, and order tea for room service and you'll have the hot water to make it with. Make sure you request cream, sugar, etc to go with it.

Can you not request a hot pot for your cabin? I hope so. I love making herbal tea at bedtime.

Seattle, you can order whatever whenever via room service for no charge...

If you were to call room service though, they would probably have a pot of hot water to you in about 10 minutes, no charge of course (regular room service is free).

... but note that gratuituities are not included and at your discretion... :D

I have my eye on a Black and Decker coffee maker that makes one big cup and comes with its own travel cup to use. I like this model because the travel cup is non breakable and there is no glass pot to worry about. I believe the coffee pot is about $15.

I have a $10 coffemaker I bought just for cruising. It is a full size maker. I pack it first and than other stuff around it. I put the carafe in my carry on.

We usually travel with people who also drink coffee so finishing 12 cups on the balcony in the morning is easy. I sometimes make a pot before dinner.I have heard the Horizon coffee is made from a liquid substance and thats why it tastes differant than the dining room coffee.

Archived