Vancouver Customs-Immigration

pellefsen

Hi, In my recent Celebrity package there was a post card talking about "avoid the minimum 2 hr customs/immigration process" in Vancouver when arriving from the US by booking a transfer with Celebrity.

Is this true? How long does it take to get through customs in Vancouver on a Thursday evening around 6:30? Thanks everyone, this site is fabulous and I am so glad I found it early enough to get educated. :D

I'm really only asking about the time it takes to clear customs when arriving by plane from US into Vancouver.

The flyer states, " Save time with us direct, up to 2 hrs of wait time through Customs", requirements include purchasing a Celebrity Cruise airport to pier bus transfer or air/sea package.

Both of which I will NOT be purchasing.

Again, my only question is how long does it take to get through customs at the Vancouver Airport when arriving from California?

Arriving on a Thursday evening should n't be too much of a problem. I have never had to wait more than about 30 minutes even when a number of large oveseas 747s have just arrived. But ... I suppose it is possible if you have a lot of bad luck.

Having said that ... I see no reason why booking through anyone would avoid that unless they bring you in a 3 AM or something.

Once through customs, I'm sure their transfers would get you on your way quickly, and perhaps faster than trying to do it on your own, but again, I have never had a problem getting cab or limo quickly at YVR.

(Incidentally, I recommend that you consider a limo over a cab if transferring directly to the ship. They have a set fee that is quite reasonable, and it will even cost you less if you run into rush hour traffic on the way. Especially if your ship is leaving from Ballentyne pier. As a side benefit, you will probably find it a lot easier to understand the driver's English with the limo or town car service.)

What they could be referring to is the delays coming in by road that we have been having lately. It sometimes takes a long time to clear a busload of people through Northbound.

Otherwise, I haven't heard any mention of long lines and delays at customs in YVR lately. As long as you have all your paperwork in order, you should go through rather quickly.

On the other hand, I have experienced 2 hour delays southbound from security lineups and US customs when leaving YVR on occasion. :mad:

If there is a delay, just don't make a lot of noise and pick up a stapler to make your point. The last guy that tried that isn't with us anymore!

Hi, In my recent Celebrity package there was a post card talking about "avoid the minimum 2 hr customs/immigration process" in Vancouver when arriving from the US by booking a transfer with Celebrity.

Is this true? How long does it take to get through customs in Vancouver on a Thursday evening around 6:30? Thanks everyone, this site is fabulous and I am so glad I found it early enough to get educated. :D

The 'skip customs' wont be applicable to you, as you're arriving the night before. If you arrive day of cruise, most people would have to...

• Arrive YVR
  • Clear Canadian Immigration (5-10 mins)
  • Pick up Luggage off Carousel
  • Clear Canadian Customs (10 seconds)
  • Transfer to cruise terminal
  • Check in for cruise
  • Clear US Customs & Immigration, so you don't have to in Alaska at your 1st stop (10-60 mins)
  • Board Ship

If you use the USA Direct transfers, it allows you to skip 'entering Canada' so it looks like

• Arrive YVR
  • Transfer to cruise terminal in a sealed (haven't entered Canada) shuttle, and your baggage goes straight to the ship (you will have pre-tagged luggage before leaving home)
  • Check in for cruise in special area
  • Board Ship

Arriving at 1830 at YVR, you're generally through Immigration (5-10 mins) before your bags roll off the baggage carousels, you then walk through customs and hand in a filled out customs declaration (10 seconds). The longest C&I process (by far) will be with the US Dept of Homeland Security in the pre-clear between checking in for your cruise and boarding the ship, it's generally in the 10-30 minute range, but there have been reports of 2-3 hours. Sorry, there's nothing we Canadians can do about it, it's the USA DHS that's the issue.

Does it all make sense now?

Leaving Vancouver, you actually pre-clear USA Customs & Immigration before boarding your flight. If you're flying out the same day your ship gets in, you can again use the USA Direct system to avoid officially entering Canada, and skip both Canada C&I pierside and the USA C&I at the airport.

If you go to www.yvr.ca and click on arrivals you can check which flights will be arriving just before or at close time to yours (you won't find your date but just the time of day/day of the week will give you a general idea). When there are flights from overseas......Hong Kong, Singapore, India etc.....the immigration area can get have five hundred pax trying to clear. Canada Customs and Immigration usually has all booths manned. The very longest we have ever waited with two overseas flights in customs was about 35 minutes. We have found 10 am to about 3 am is the busiest time. Also if you happen to use a cane or wheelchair the attendents will direct you to a special line.

Thanks everyone. Great info and suggestions. Our cruise ends in Seward, Alaska, so no issues there. We're staying at the Terminal City Tower and will be taking a cab to Ballantyne Pier. About 10min ride and $15, sounds right? Any suggestions on dinner near the hotel would be appreciated.

We're staying at the Terminal City Tower == Any suggestions on dinner near the hotel would be appreciated.

You might want to try the "Aqua Riva" just a block away from your hotel ... http://www.aquariva.com/

or if you are walking up to the 'shopping area' around Robson St & Thurlow St's -- "Joe Fortes" is another good Seafood Restaurant. http://www.joefortes.ca/

The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver (the one at Georgia & Burrard) has a restaurant there "Griffins" which has a 'buffet menu' as well as a regular menu.

http://www.fairmont.com/hotelvancouver/GuestServices/Restaurants/Griffins.htm

Archived