missed ship

jdbell

There was a guy a few years ago that missed the ship twice in one cruise. I believe it was the inaugural Caribbean sailing on the Sun.

Your only option is to catch up with ship in the next port at your own expense. Some people have said that if you are quick enough and have enough cash in your pocket that you can catch a lift with the pilot boat going out to pick up the pilot. But, I would not not count on this option.

PE

Missing the ship is not a good thing. And a really good reason to pay close attention to when you're supposed to be back on board! People go off on independent excursions, or just "wander around", lose track of time, or sometimes find themselves in a traffic jamb, and indeed miss the ship.

You get to the next port at your own expense. And if you're in a foreign country, you better make sure you have your passport, cash (for travel and probably a night's stay), and know how to contact your ship (this information is usually printed somewhere on the daily newsletter you get in your cabin each day).

DON'T DO IT!!!! :eek:

Two first-hand experiences I know of (not MINE , thank goodness!):

1) My parents missed the ship at their point of origination because the travel agent who booked their group cruise had them flying in on the SAME DAY the ship was leaving with a connecting flight through Atlanta! SILLY, SILLY, SILLY! :rolleyes: Of course, there was a storm in Atlanta that day and they missed their connecting flight and had to wait til the NEXT DAY to fly out! They had Travel Insurance, but still had to pay for eveything out of pocket, including hotel, food, etc. HUGE HASSLE...and 2 days of their cruise missed! They had to fly to the first port and stay in a hotel for a day til the ship caught up to them! NEVER FLY IN ON THE DAY OF THE CRUISE!!!!

2) A couple across the hall from us on one of our cruises missed the ship at one of the ports because they adjusted their watches to local time instead of ship time! :eek: When they joined us at the next port, they joked that it would have been MUCH cheaper for them to just fly home and have all their luggage shipped to them instead of trying to catch up with the ship! Lesson learned!

Besides the cost and inconvenience both couples experienced, who needs all the STRESS of being stranded in a foreign country with NOTHING?!?!?!? What an frightening feeling that must be!

My sister, Medicalma'am, posted this earlier in the year here on these boards. It is ROFL funny!

I just found out that a friend's husband MISSED THE BOAT out of Ketchikan this last Friday evening on a Holland America cruise!!! He JUST sat down and had a cup of coffee then the harbor master came out and expected, as usually happens, him to be raising cain about wanting a helicopter or boat to take him out. She was very surprised by his calm resignation to his fate. She arranged a flight to Victoria the next day and got him a hotel room. The airport was quite a problem as he had no passport, no luggage, is full of pins and screws from several accidents, so they made him strip down to his boxer shorts looking for all that metal. He finally did meet up with the ship.

The funny part is 'meanwhile back on the ship...' His wife took his formal night picture to dinner with her and explained to everyone what had happened. Then she went to a comedy show with the picture in tow. The comedian asked her what was up with the picture in the seat and she told her she didn't want to be without her husband even though he had missed the boat. Then the comedian goes into a 10 minute routine about it, keeping the place in stitches. THEN the land lubber husband calls on her cell phone. Of course, the comedian wanted to talk to him and he got the ribbing of a lifetime. The audience loved it. My friend is a hilarious, outgoing, partying fun gal. She told EVERYONE on that ship she came across that when the gentleman (Clint) got back on the ship, that they were to welcome him back and ask him about the accommodations in Ketchikan. He couldn't get over how nice people were to him the next two days and how they seemed to know all about his extended excursion!!!

I laughed until I cried hearing about their adventures. They are safe at home again, he in Florida and she in Houston. Too bad when you have a long distance marriage and decide to take a nice cruise together and then she ends up all alone one night!!!!!

My sister' date=' Medicalma'am, posted this earlier in the year here on these boards. It is ROFL funny!

I just found out that a friend's husband MISSED THE BOAT out of Ketchikan this last Friday evening on a Holland America cruise!!! He JUST sat down and had a cup of coffee then the harbor master came out and expected, as usually happens, him to be raising cain about wanting a helicopter or boat to take him out. She was very surprised by his calm resignation to his fate. She arranged a flight to Victoria the next day and got him a hotel room. The airport was quite a problem as he had no passport, no luggage, is full of pins and screws from several accidents, so they made him strip down to his boxer shorts looking for all that metal. He finally did meet up with the ship.

The funny part is 'meanwhile back on the ship...' His wife took his formal night picture to dinner with her and explained to everyone what had happened. Then she went to a comedy show with the picture in tow. The comedian asked her what was up with the picture in the seat and she told her she didn't want to be without her husband even though he had missed the boat. Then the comedian goes into a 10 minute routine about it, keeping the place in stitches. THEN the land lubber husband calls on her cell phone. Of course, the comedian wanted to talk to him and he got the ribbing of a lifetime. The audience loved it. My friend is a hilarious, outgoing, partying fun gal. She told EVERYONE on that ship she came across that when the gentleman (Clint) got back on the ship, that they were to welcome him back and ask him about the accommodations in Ketchikan. He couldn't get over how nice people were to him the next two days and how they seemed to know all about his extended excursion!!!

I laughed until I cried hearing about their adventures. They are safe at home again, he in Florida and she in Houston. Too bad when you have a long distance marriage and decide to take a nice cruise together and then she ends up all alone one night!!!!![/quote']

Too funny! Thanks for sharing. :D

Yes, people miss the ship. More than once we have heard a name being paged over and over when it is time to leave.

Plan on getting back in time.

Carry a passport if you will need to leave the country in a hurry to catch a flight to another country.

Carry at least one credit card for emergency funds.

Fly in the day before the cruise.

Having insurance is not going to fix the problem. It might reimburse you later, but it is not going to fix the problem.

It happens. sometimes people make out okay,. sometimes it ruins the whole damn vacation.

We had one of our roll-call friends miss the ship in Boston last year on our Canada/New England cruise. She may drift back and tell you about it -- but I decided after listening to her stories that it was something I NEVER wanted to do. Her ordeal ended up being relatively easy to deal with as they were already on US soil and were able to catch a train to Newport, but I can't even imagine having something like that happen in a foreign country!

Earlier this year I was on the Spirit and when we docked in Costa Maya, our first port, there were 16 people with their luggage standing there. Come to find out their connecting flight in Washington DC was canceled. After more connections they finally arrived in Costa Maya but there weren't enough hotel rooms so each couple had an older woman in the room with them. They seemed to take it in stride.

I know you are probably looking for stories of missed ships while in port, but we heard of 2 families almost missing the ship at embarkation on our recent July cruise.

First, we were told a story about a family of 10 that didn't make the ship when we sailed from Southampton due to weather problems flying in. They were flown to our first port (Malaga) and had accommodations for 2 nights until the ship arrived. I heard that the airline paid for their flight and hotels but I'm not sure of the whole story.

Another couple on our cruise just made it to the ship on time after flying in from the states. They had planned on arriving Saturday and staying in London before leaving on the ship Sunday. Their plane had a fire before it took off, they had to go down the emergency slides and it took hours to get rebooked onto a flight that would make it in time.

I can't imagine anyone trying to fly in the day of a cruise (especially overseas) when so many unexpected things can happen.

There was a post some time ago on CC -

A woman was waiting for her sons to arrive back at a tender port. The last tender arrived and her sons were not on it.

Obviously, she was in a state and didn't know what to do - when she saw a speedboat approaching with a few young men on board including her sons.

They were very calm which made her even more angry = till they added "The Captain's son was with us."

IN addition to the CCer who missed her ship because of Boston traffic, there was a much longer post once by a young couple who got stranded in Roatan with no money or passport. It was an experience one would not want to emulate.

I can't believe that both sides (tug and cruise ship) would go to that extent and risk for 4 or 5 people no matter what their excuse was. WOW!

That's how my Dad and I were transported off the ship after he almost drowned on a ship excursion. Only he was in a basket stretcher, intubated, and knocked out. Instead of waiting for transportation at the private island we were at, they shoved off at the appointed departure time and had a tug meet us at sea to take us to Grand Bahama where we caught a medi-jet back to Ft. Lauderdale. It really wasn't as tough a transition from ship to tug as you may think.

They missed the ship.

That is my nightmare. I do give credit to the folks filming the couple as I really would have expected snide comments, etc, but felt their sympathy was very sincere.

We had one of our roll-call friends miss the ship in Boston last year on our Canada/New England cruise. She may drift back and tell you about it -- but I decided after listening to her stories that it was something I NEVER wanted to do. Her ordeal ended up being relatively easy to deal with as they were already on US soil and were able to catch a train to Newport, but I can't even imagine having something like that happen in a foreign country!

Where is CG anyway? I haven't seen her posting for a while it seems. I don't know if she and I are just reading different postings or if she is on vacation or what. Just seems like I haven't seen her in a while and I miss her.

Where is CG anyway? I haven't seen her posting for a while it seems. I don't know if she and I are just reading different postings or if she is on vacation or what. Just seems like I haven't seen her in a while and I miss her.

I don't know. I haven't seen her around either. I started a new job in February and haven't been on a whole lot myself -- even though that's changing since we're going on the Star in September.

Archived