Windstar Viability

Delta Queen

Reading some of the posts on the Windstar message board has me wondering about the financial position of Windstar. What is the current opinion amongst the knowledgeable cruisers on this board?

Delta Queen

I posted sometime last month that I was concern about the financial condition of Windstar. And especially concerned about making a deposit for a 2010 cruise. Since posting we did receive their beautiful 2010/2011 Sailing Atlas. the catalog was beautiful and their destinations very impressive.

Windstar Cruise Line is one of our favorites and they will hopefully sail through these hard time and remain the best of the best.

*We did book a 2010 cruise in the Caribbean but played it on the safe side and decided to try The Yachts of Seabourn.

There previously has been discussion of Windstar financial viability, (see thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=981186)

Apparently there is some cause for alarm, as Ambasador Int'l (Windstar owner) is not doing so well, but apparently they've poured capital into Windstar and Windstar is their best asset so one supposes that if Ambassador continues to flail, someone would buy them out or buy their assets (Windstar) and keep going.

I and some family members/friends are planning an April Wind Spirit cruise (in the process of booking now), so at this point, not too worried.

However, we may discuss insurance!

Hope that helps some.

Book with a credit card, and you reduce your risks. We were booked on Windjammer when it went belly up in late 2007, leaving a lot of cruisers holding empty wallets. Because we used our credit union Visa, the credit union refunded all of our money within 10 days.

That's a good tip, and just what we did. Just paid for our 4/2010 Wind Spirit cruise yesterday, so I'm offering a vote of confidence.

(Not that we were prone to using any other payment method, but purchase security is a nice perq of using a credit card.)

I will acknowledge, however, that a troubling offer was made: instead of paying just a deposit, if we paid in full (I think by today 8/6/09), Windstar is paying our gratuities (the $12/pp/day "hotel charge"). For us as a couple, that's $168 back in our pockets so we took them up on it. It's troubling as a sign of "we need cash now," but if it incites more people to book, that's the best thing for their viability, no?

But we still put it on credit card, just in case! :o

Windstar recently advertised that they would offer the equivalent of gratuity charges if one pays in full 6 months in advance instead of 3 months I believe. It is a current offer but apparently may be withdrawn at any time. They seem to making an effort to keep Windstar Cruises in the news on a regular basis by making offers and putting on various press releases highlighting their many accolades and information regarding new staff appointments.

For those interested in ensuring Windstar's ongoing viability, it would appear from an economic standpoint that the best idea would be to continue to book cruises with them (albeit with a credit card as already suggested).

Archived