Interviews, Jimmy Rhodes & the Monarch crew

Hi everyone. I will be sailing on the Monarch on August 24th. I was wondering how Jimmy Rhodes is as a Cruise Director. I've done interviews with various positions concerning the entertainment and activity staff for school and I was wondering if this crew in particular would be good. In the past, I have had interviews/shadowings set up in advance through my school. However, I've experienced some difficulty with Royal Caribbean in particular. Celebrity seems a lot more open to these sort of things. For those of you that have cruised with Jimmy Rhodes, what approach do you think I should take? I'm aware of busy schedules and priorities...I definitely got my fill of that from my last tours/interviews/shadowings. I'm particularly worried this time around because this cruise was very last minute and I don't have all the paperwork completed like I did the last few times. Should I just skip out on this one or do you think I can get anything new and interesting from this Cruise Director and his staff?

All help is appreciated!

I don't quite understand what you are looking for. Is this for a grade school project or a university paper? Or are you just interested in what they do?

We were on Monarch in June and Jimmie Rhodes was the CD. He wasn't very visible, and I've read many cruise reviews where people stated that he was one of the least visible CDs they'd encountered.

Personally I'd ask one of the lesser members of the activities staff for help. They may be more likely to be involved in activities where you can tail them. And yes, they are busy and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have much time to help you out even if they really want to.

Although I'm going into 11th grade, this is more like a university project. It's actually a project that goes on over four years and then is presented at the end of my senior year.

Hearing the Jimmy is less visible actually interests me now. I know that's actually not really good thing, but it's different. I've had a lot of success with Dave Chapman in the past and he was all over the place and really good and talkative with people. It would be nice to see a different sort of Cruise Director in depth. I've been around the same type many times that I pretty much know the jokes and can predict what they're going to say in interviews.

Thanks for your input!

I was on Monarch 2 weeks ago. I am not sure where the criticisms of Jimmie Rhodes come from. Too me, he came across as a highly visible and personable Cruise Director. Knowing his background might help you in your approach. If I recall correctly, he was a dancer/entertainer with a traveling group. He then joined RCL as a dancer and got promoted up to CD. If you are an experienced cruiser, you should know that a 3 day cruise is jam packed, with most of the major highlights of a 7 night cruise packed into 3 nights. Good luck.

I was on Monarch 2 weeks ago. I am not sure where the criticisms of Jimmie Rhodes come from. Too me, he came across as a highly visible and personable Cruise Director. Knowing his background might help you in your approach. If I recall correctly, he was a dancer/entertainer with a traveling group. He then joined RCL as a dancer and got promoted up to CD. If you are an experienced cruiser, you should know that a 3 day cruise is jam packed, with most of the major highlights of a 7 night cruise packed into 3 nights. Good luck.

The OP is going on a 4 nighter,so maybe she will be spared some time...but I would think,if somehow she can get in touch with him ahead of time,the better chance she would have.........(or at least find out it can't be done)

Archived