Formal Nights??

Do you really have to get dressed up? I have cocktail dresses, but I dont have any gowns.... my fiance doesnt have a suit and doesnt plan on wearing a tux.... its just not us. We are more of a casual couple and were wondering if we can still eat in the dining room on formal night?

If not, we are willing to eat at Johnny Rockets for the evening lol ;)

Some will be very strongly opinionated that you should not even ask such a question. However, this is YOUR vacation. Be yourselves and do NOT worry about what everyone else thinks. Your hard earned dollars paid for your trip.

To answer your question, yes, you can eat in the MDR. They will not turn you away.

We sailed once only to find out that my husband left his dress clothes at home. It was totally incidental and he was concerned that our tablemates might be offended. I convinced him that if that was the type of tablemates we had, it wouldn't work for us anyway. In order to make himself feel better, he explained to them that he would not be dressing up and told them that he hoped they would not be offended. None were bothered and we had a great week.

When we do dress up, I do cocktail dresses not gowns and he usually does a suit. He isn't a suit type of guy either but every few trips we do do the tux thing just for some updated pictures.

You will see anything and everything on a cruise when it comes to wardrobe. Some people wear dresses and suits every night, others only on formal nights, and others wear casual clothes every night. I really did not pay attention to what others were wearing(although i did notice jeans, not so much pants, but jean shorts just because thats a double offense hahaha) But really, just do whatever makes you feel good and do not worry what others think because chances are the majority of people arent noticing.

Wow people will really be rude to us if we dress casual and not in a gown or a suit/tux? We paid for this vacation and I dont want to feel stressed out over this. We just want to be ourselves ya know... its not like we would be wearing sneakers, but I am comfortable wearing casual clothing.

I would suggest a Sport Coat over a shirt with an open collar and nice (not jeans) slacks. I wear Dockers.

This is what I wear and it works great for me.

I also wear black loafers with black socks.

My wife wears either slacks or a skirt with a nice blouse.

The ambiance in the MDR on formal night is very nice and many cruisers look forward to this evening. I think this mood is compromised when too many people are in casual attire. So, we follow the suggested dress code out of respect for our fellow cruisers.

On a couple of cruises we were looking for a more causal experience and did not bring "formal" clothes. On those nights we ate in the buffet and enjoyed it very much. I know we could have been seated in the MDR, but we chose not to.

Just my honest opinion and whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

The ambiance in the MDR on formal night is very nice and many cruisers look forward to this evening. I think this mood is compromised when too many people are in casual attire. So, we follow the suggested dress code out of respect for our fellow cruisers.

On a couple of cruises we were looking for a more causal experience and did not bring "formal" clothes. On those nights we ate in the buffet and enjoyed it very much. I know we could have been seated in the MDR, but we chose not to.

Just my honest opinion and whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!

Oh I see what your saying... so formal night is pretty much just for the MDR? My fiance and I are thinking of making it a Johnny Rockets date that night :) I just want to make sure we can still walk around the ship looking casual without getting looks lol

You won't feel funny walking around the ship, but might be uncomfortable in the main dining room. You can certainly wear a cocktail dress in the dining room on formal night, and your fiance might be ok with a shirt and tie. If you went to a formal wedding reception and someone walked in dressed casually, wouldn't you have judgemental thoughts?

Oh I see what your saying... so formal night is pretty much just for the MDR? My fiance and I are thinking of making it a Johnny Rockets date that night :) I just want to make sure we can still walk around the ship looking casual without getting looks lol

I think the suggested attire is for the whole evening, but outside of the MDR the dress is much more casual. Some will stay dressed, for photos, etc. But many do not.

When I wear a tux to dinner on formal night, I run back to my room to change into something more comfortable for the evening! You will feel quite comfortable throughout the ship in casual dress.

Your cocktail dress will do just fine. And he will do fine with just a nice collar dress shirt and long pants and maybe throw a loose tie on just for the MDR then take it off when you leave MDR. Sure the suit and/or tux would be great. Your formal portraits will look more formal but it's not required. You will see many men going in with only collar shirts and long pants so go for it. While JRs is okay the windjammer night buffet is free and you can wear shorts up there if you like on formal night. Also there is the Chops steak house and Portfinos for extra charge too and shirt and long pants will work fine there also. Remember there are 2 formal nights per week. And don't worry if you wear the same dress and shirt/pants for both nights. You are likely to run into these people again and I doubt out of 4000 others they will remember you wore the same thing 2 nights. Helps you pack less if you plan to wear most things at least twice.

You won't feel funny walking around the ship, but might be uncomfortable in the main dining room. You can certainly wear a cocktail dress in the dining room on formal night, and your fiance might be ok with a shirt and tie. If you went to a formal wedding reception and someone walked in dressed casually, wouldn't you have judgemental thoughts?

Yea I would probably think something...but I wouldnt be rude to someone or roll my eyes because they are wearing a cocktail dress instead of a gown. Thank you for helping me think of it the other way around. I think just to play it safe- we'll just go to Johnny Rockets that night or something :)

Your cocktail dress will do just fine. And he will do fine with just a nice collar dress shirt and long pants and maybe throw a loose tie on just for the MDR then take it off when you leave MDR. Sure the suit and/or tux would be great. Your formal portraits will look more formal but it's not required. You will see many men going in with only collar shirts and long pants so go for it. While JRs is okay the windjammer night buffet is free and you can wear shorts up there if you like on formal night. Also there is the Chops steak house and Portfinos for extra charge too and shirt and long pants will work fine there also. Remember there are 2 formal nights per week. And don't worry if you wear the same dress and shirt/pants for both nights. You are likely to run into these people again and I doubt out of 4000 others they will remember you wore the same thing 2 nights. Helps you pack less if you plan to wear most things at least twice.

Good idea!!! Thank you :):)

I know that old tradtional rule that formal is for the whole night but these days with alternate dining how do you know where someone ate dinner that night? If you eat JR's,Pizza place, Windjammer or Room Service you don't have to dress up formal. Are you not allowed to stroll the ship because you didn't eat MDR in your formal attire? That would be asking a bit much to eat in your stateroom with room service in your PJs and then put on your suit or tux to go to the show. And you think no shorts is a problem!

Just another reason I think the whole Formal thing at least on many ships including RCCL ships is a joke these days. First off it's no longer formal. When they allowed men to wear anything other then a full tux and ladies in evening gowns it's no longer a formal occassion. Forget it being a black tie affair it's not. So why pretend it is a formal night? They don't enforce their own lax formal dress codes. Could care less what you wore on Formal night and certainly could not enforce the whole ship to wear formal that night everywhere you go. Just as well make Formal night totally optional which is what NCL is doing now. If you want to dress up to the nines then go for it. Dress in your best Rodney Dangerfield checkered orange sport coat,canary yellow polo shirt and lime green golf pants then do it. Just no shorts please!

My DW and I must be from a dying breed, as we either go out in the proper attire on a formal night........or relax and use the WJ or eat in our cabin......if we don't feel like dressing up.

I don't get our American society today, where, no matter what the ship asks......you want to do your own thing.

Next......there will be orgies, with no holds barred.....just before America falls..........just like Rome did.

I'm still of the old school. Either I dress as requested, or I don't show up in the MDR or anywhere else on the ship except the WJ.

The attitude of many shows a significant decline in our morals.

Not just my thinking, but as an American, we have lost our ability to manufacture most anything........but most importantly steel.

So, I guess that I'll say........enjoy cruising anyway that you like....it's about to end here. You might as well try it.....before it's gone.

And, if you don't believe me, check out what the costs were to sail on the Titanic or other vessels of that era. Cruising today is cheaper than a land trip.

Rick

Depends if he minds feeling out of place, or getting dirty snears and possibly snide comments.

There's only one person that counts. The MD at the door. Then the alternative is the WJ or JR.

Very true! MD makes the decision, we seen people turned away in jeans, coctail dresses will be fine and if he wears Shirt and Tie he will be fine. Most people I saw did wear jackets too, very few in Tux's but nobody was casual.

Worry about only what you are wearing and not what others are wearing and you won't be wrong. The only folks who get their knickers in a knot over this are posters on Cruise Critic. Most people on a cruise are busy enjoying themselves and do get worked up over these things.

Worry about only what you are wearing and not what others are wearing and you won't be wrong. The only folks who get their knickers in a knot over this are posters on Cruise Critic. Most people on a cruise are busy enjoying themselves and do get worked up over these things.

Some of that is right but she was asking for advice, like I said we seen people turned away in Jeans on formal night so its best to ask.

This poster was looking for advice. If, once her questions are asked and answered, and she still does what she wants to, that's her business. I know I don't wish to be ignorant when I do something the first time.

I think it a "suggested" dress code if I'm right.

Why don't you share with us how people were dressed on your last RCI cruise?

On my 4 RCI cruises most were dressed up, quite a few were well dressed but not quite up to "code". No one was tossed from the MDR and no one onboard really seemed to care.

How many were sent to the Windjammer?

On my 4 RCI cruises no one was forced to go to the Windjammer that I saw.

Thank you.

BTW most were dressed up om my 3 Carnival cruises too.

General question: Do most folks on Cruise Critc relate their cruising experance or just spout opinions and post web links?

Do you really have to get dressed up? I have cocktail dresses, but I dont have any gowns.... my fiance doesnt have a suit and doesnt plan on wearing a tux.... its just not us. We are more of a casual couple and were wondering if we can still eat in the dining room on formal night?

If not, we are willing to eat at Johnny Rockets for the evening lol ;)

JR may be full of kids on Formal nights.In the MDR Some dress in their best casual and others wear a tie sans Jacket or Jacket sans tie

The Captains DW enjoys him wearing his Tux once a cruise and fixes extra healthy meals weeks before the cruise so he can't use the Tux don't fit excuse.The other formal nights The Captain wears a Blue Blazer with a trendy shirt and tie

:cj

Archived