NCL vs. Princess to Mexico

daisee

Did Carnival Pride last year to Mexico. Want to try something new. Like the NCL itinerary and freestyle dining, but Princess ships look very nice, and probably better entertainment and food? Four kids ranging from 8-16. Any feedback on previous experiences? Thanks!

No doubt based on my experience, choose Princess over NCL. We took our 2 kids ages 5 and 7 on the NCL Sea over Thanksgiving. We chose that ship based on price and convenience. We found it to be very mediocre overall and the kids program was very poor. Our kids have been on both Princess and Celebrity and loved the kids program on them. NCL kid's program was unorganized and did not have activities that were as creative and fun for them. Besides the kids program it was lacking when compared to our other cruises.

My 2 cents but I hope it helps.

David

I would vote for Princess also. Princess has a dining option very similar to freestyle dining on NCL. You can either have a regular scheduled dinner time every evening in the same restaurants with the same waiter, or you can just show up at one of the other "no reservations required" restaurants and dine there. The "no reservations required" restaurant is just as nice and has the same menu, you just don't always get the same waiter every time and you may have to wait a few minutes to get seated.:rolleyes:

Princess also has several smaller theatres that each have a different show in them instead of one big theatre with one show to choose from. And the movies under the stars is awesome! Princess has a huge "drive in style" movie screen out on the top deck so you can sit and watch movies under the stars.:)

I went on one NCl cruise and won't go on another one anytime soon. The service was good and so was the food. But the ship was small and the activities limited. And my children didn't like the kids area as well as the other cruises we've been on. Overall, NCL seems to have smaller ships and I prefer the larger newer ships. The larger ships have more areas to lounge around in and more theatres and dining establishments. That's why we went ahead and booked the Grand Princess for next year. She's huge and the price was awesome!:D

And the movies under the stars is awesome! Princess has a huge "drive in style" movie screen out on the top deck so you can sit and watch movies under the stars.
Not all of the Princess ships have the Movies under the Stars. I was just on the Dawn Princess and they did not have it. Also, the service on the Dawn was mediocre, though the staff was very pleasant. I can't speak for the kids programs, as I only have a toddler.

Also, on Princess you used to be able to order anything off of the dining room menu from room service, which was great for moms and dads stuck in the cabin with a kid for whatever reason (like a fussy or sick kid). But they changed it a few months ago and now they just have a very limited room service menu. I was not happy about that.

I have heard so many great things about Royal Carribean that I think we will book our next trip through them.

Archived