Road trip San Francisco to Los Angeles

Mrs Miggins

Just back from our trip and want to thank all those who helped with suggestions for our 14 days from SFO to LAX, (myself plus husband and 16 yr old)

Just a little feedback on hotels - Holiday Inn, Fishermans Wharf SFO was adequate and reasonably priced. Next stop Inn at 213, 17 Mile Drive just outside Monterey was fabulous - biggest room and biggest welcome of all - Steve the Manager is great. On to San Simeon - The Morgan (for Hearst Castle which is strange but great - I think because all the different antiques and architectural styles were put together instead of developing over the centuries the overall effect jarred a little and seemed not to blend - nevertheless a really enjoyable tour) Morgan was good, inexpensive and we went into Cambria for dinner - pretty town.

By the way we had the great luck to see a Californian Condor in a roadside view point on Great Sur - understand they are really rare and were close to extinction. Biggest bird I have ever seen - but was also fascinated to see a Chipmunk in Muir Woods - we dont have them in the UK.

Kon Tiki Inn in Pismo Beach was also very good - views and beds great.

Spent day in St Luis Obispo - pretty town - then next day Arroye Grande (because Zac Efron lived there) Met splendid lady called Pam who invited us to her Pizza Restaurant for lunch - such hospitality.

In Santa Barbara - because the town was so full - we stayed at The Ramada a few miles outside - but still good and well priced. Good Breakfast too. Lastly Fairmont Mirimar in Santa Monica - also good with great views - but I think the rooms were a little better in The Leows - but could not fault the location so easy to walk to 3rd Street Promenade.

Anyway many thanks for all your help. We had a great time.

However I am looking forward to a cruise on Celebrity in the Med in October - at least we wont have to go through the pain of choosing where to eat each evening.

Just back from our trip and want to thank all those who helped with suggestions for our 14 days from SFO to LAX, (myself plus husband and 16 yr old)

Just a little feedback on hotels - Holiday Inn, Fishermans Wharf SFO was adequate and reasonably priced. Next stop Inn at 213, 17 Mile Drive just outside Monterey was fabulous - biggest room and biggest welcome of all - Steve the Manager is great. On to San Simeon - The Morgan (for Hearst Castle which is strange but great - I think because all the different antiques and architectural styles were put together instead of developing over the centuries the overall effect jarred a little and seemed not to blend - nevertheless a really enjoyable tour) Morgan was good, inexpensive and we went into Cambria for dinner - pretty town.

By the way we had the great luck to see a Californian Condor in a roadside view point on Great Sur - understand they are really rare and were close to extinction. Biggest bird I have ever seen - but was also fascinated to see a Chipmunk in Muir Woods - we dont have them in the UK.

Kon Tiki Inn in Pismo Beach was also very good - views and beds great.

Spent day in St Luis Obispo - pretty town - then next day Arroye Grande (because Zac Efron lived there) Met splendid lady called Pam who invited us to her Pizza Restaurant for lunch - such hospitality.

In Santa Barbara - because the town was so full - we stayed at The Ramada a few miles outside - but still good and well priced. Good Breakfast too. Lastly Fairmont Mirimar in Santa Monica - also good with great views - but I think the rooms were a little better in The Leows - but could not fault the location so easy to walk to 3rd Street Promenade.

Anyway many thanks for all your help. We had a great time.

However I am looking forward to a cruise on Celebrity in the Med in October - at least we wont have to go through the pain of choosing where to eat each evening.

That sounds like a great trip we've always wanted to take a road trip on the California coast!

We live in the mountains of CA and we love to drive down the coast to the port. Yes, it takes a lot longer, but we are in no hurry. Part of the way down we have a home in Pismo Beach where our DD lives. We go that far the day before the cruise and then Coastal HWY 1. Its beautiful and a much better drive than the horrible large freeways:eek: Of course, I am just a mountain girl and remember our first stoplight being put in.:o I love our country roads.:D

...I am just a mountain girl and remember our first stoplight being put in...

Of course, in some towns in the Sierras, that first stoplight could have been put in last Thursday!! :)

Mrs. Miggins,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your trip down our coast...

It sounds like you took it nice and slow and left ample time to really get to see and know the areas...

Just a note for others reading this: I would usually recommend staying in Cambria itself rather than San Simeon when visiting Hearst Castle...Hearst Castle is, of course, a "must see"...For anyone who hasn't been, it really rivals any castle anywhere in the world...and the location on a mountaintop is staggering...but once one is done with the tours, unless one is going back the following day, there is nothing much in the town of San Simeon itself...so nearby Cambria, with its shops and cafes and located in a wooded area, is typically a better choice...

You WERE extremely lucky to spot a rare California Condor...There are, at last count, only 322 left in the world...and only 172 in the wild (yes, they have actually been counted)...and, no, you won't see a larger...or older...bird anywhere...They live to be over 50 years old and weigh up to 31 pounds and have a length of up to 55 inches and a wingspan of up to TEN FEET! There is a program run jointly by the Los Angeles Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park to breed them in captivity and then release them into the wild...

They are truly incredible creatures...

I'm trying to talk hubby into considering Hearst Castle for a future vacation. He suggested yesterday that we start thinking about finally going on a vacation within the next year, but someplace we haven't been to (or the girl hasn't been to, as Vegas is on the list now). And it would be within driving distance.

Somehow he wants to include a stop in Hesperia so he can show us the land his father brought years ago and that we're inheriting soon.

I'm trying to add trips up north (San Francisco). Our last kinda vacation was spending two days in Ventura last summer.

But what I really want to do is go on a cruise. Sigh.

Hi Cruisin chick, have you joined our Calif Thread yet. If not just click on the link below my signature. In fact we are doing a luncheon in two week, in Temecula for our So Calif neighbors. April 10, 2011 we have a CC Calif Group cruise on the Mariner. come on over would love to see you and anyone else. We even have a few from TX, AZ.

Gay

Hi Cruisin chick, have you joined our Calif Thread yet. If not just click on the link below my signature. In fact we are doing a luncheon in two week, in Temecula for our So Calif neighbors. April 10, 2011 we have a CC Calif Group cruise on the Mariner. come on over would love to see you and anyone else. We even have a few from TX, AZ.

Gay

Thanks, I'll try to check it out. Probably wouldn't be able to drive down to Temeula (I live way up near Chatsworth and Simi Valley). Right now we can't plan a cruise as my hubby has a lot on his plate (including his mother in hospice care). Most likely if he gets in the mood to start planning our next cruise (fingers crossed), it would probably be a repeat of our Hawaiian cruise RT LA to Hawaii. He's now spoiled on the cruises that are longer than seven days.;)

Cruisin Chick, sorry to hear your Mother and husband are having health problems and wish them all the best.

We did the RT Hawaii last Oct out of San Diego on the Radiance and that was the most memorable cruise.

Our N calif neighbors who live around the Bay area, Sacramento, Bakersfield, Fresno, etc have had two luncheons already. Hope to see you on our Calif thread soon.

Gay

Archived