Snorkeling at Passion Island

w8ing2cruz

You can snorkel anywhere there is water, but that doesn't mean there will be anything to see.

Here's the deal. Sandy beaches, where the sand goes out into the water, seldom have decent snorkeling. Coral needs a hard surface to go on and sand just doesn't offer that. Coral is what attracts most of the fish in the Caribbean.

If you want decent shore snorkeling, you need to go to a place with a rocky shoreline.

• 3 weeks later...
You can snorkel anywhere there is water, but that doesn't mean there will be anything to see.

Here's the deal. Sandy beaches, where the sand goes out into the water, seldom have decent snorkeling. Coral needs a hard surface to go on and sand just doesn't offer that. Coral is what attracts most of the fish in the Caribbean.

If you want decent shore snorkeling, you need to go to a place with a rocky shoreline.

i am so glad you explained that too me. i am very excited to snorkel for the first time and see some good coral and fish. can you tell me what beaches are rocky and have the best snorkeling. or should i book a boat trip and snorkel off it. i am leaving in 23 days and am really stumped on where to go on my own for snorkeling. thanks for any info.

i am so glad you explained that too me. i am very excited to snorkel for the first time and see some good coral and fish. can you tell me what beaches are rocky and have the best snorkeling. or should i book a boat trip and snorkel off it. i am leaving in 23 days and am really stumped on where to go on my own for snorkeling. thanks for any info.

Boat snorkeling would be better IF they take you to a southern reef like Palancar.

Places to snorkel from shore:

Chankanaab national park

Dzul Ha/Money Bar

Playa Uvas (I think)

Playa Palancar does a boat snorkel tour to the nearby Palancar reef

If you email Tom at Paradise beach, I think he might be able to arrange a snorkel trip from there as well.

Boat snorkeling would be better IF they take you to a southern reef like Palancar.

Places to snorkel from shore:

Chankanaab national park

Dzul Ha/Money Bar

Playa Uvas (I think)

Playa Palancar does a boat snorkel tour to the nearby Palancar reef

If you email Tom at Paradise beach, I think he might be able to arrange a snorkel trip from there as well.

thanks for the info. i was thinking a boat trip would be good too. but i also want to experience the beach food and drink. i will check into paridise beach as well. choices, choices, choices. :confused:. i wish i could be there a couple of days.

Archived