Art auction

topspin1267

Has anyone had experience with the Art Auction? Is it the same as on RCCL?

This is the first CCL cruise for us where we might actually be interested in some art for our home.

Thanks

Save your money. Rip off at sea. Do a search for a few threads on the subject.

STeve

Save your money. Rip off at sea. Do a search for a few threads on the subject.

STeve

Couldn't agree more. If getting FREE wine is more important than the investment of your time, then go and enjoy the hype. :)

The only real deals are the walk-offs - you must take them off when you leave the ship. They are very cheap because they have been in inventory too long.The regular auction art does not appraise for the price you pay or they tell you it is worth. There are many threads on this topic.

Actually it depends on why your purchasing, what you purchase and what you DON'T purchase.

My home bar is full of stuff I have bought at the art auctions. In addition have have several pieces that were free that I have hung up. Sometimes they give free small prints just for showing up. Other times they are "bonus" things. Whatever, some have been nice enough for me to get an inexpensive frame/mat and hang them up.

Here are my personal rules for the art auction;

Go for the fun, not the art.

Don't buy anything for "investment" purposes. Buy only to hang and enjoy.

If you are buying a print, ONLY buy the print. Do not buy their framing. Do not buy their insurance. And most importantly do NOT buy their appraisal!!

The "walk offs" can be good deals. But check them carefully for damage. Some of them have been displays, or handled extensively. A nick or scratch in the frame is usually not a big deal and easy to fix. But make sure the frame is solid and not cracked/heavily chipped or broken. Keep in mind the size if you are flying.

In my experience, the real money maker for these is in the shipping, boxing, handling, framing and selling of appraisal. I have been almost cursed out for not buying anything else after wining a auction on a nice print for my bar. You just have to keep saying, "no, no, no" I don't want any of it. And they will try to scare you "you will never be able to replace this if you don't have an appraisal"....blah...blah...blah....don't listen.

I actually had one guy after I won the auction, then refuse to honor it because I wouldn't buy anything with it! I didn't care, which really seemed to piss him off...LOL.

But some do put the very heavy, very hard sale "you have to have the....". See after you win, and the "fun" is over, you go to a separate area, where at times it is a different group of what amounts to sales people to get you to buy all the other stuff. Just say NO!!!! Any time they get a little to pushy, I just tell them, I haven't signed anything yet and I'm happy to pay for what I won, but I'm not buying anything else. Do you want to sell me the print or not?

I have gotten several nice (and when I say nice, I say attractive, perfect for the bar) prints for less in the $35-$75 range. These are large, colorful and look nice in my bar. Are they worth EXACTLY what I paid? I have no idea and don't care. I never have time to look for art. And you might want to argue if they are truly pieces of art. OK, again, who cares. It looks nice, it is unusual in that you can't buy it down on the corner locally.

And I simply wait for Michaels or one of the other craft stores to do one of their 50% framing and get them matted and framed later on.

I have never bought really expensive stuff. Wife was looking at a Thomas Kinkade that was pretty pricey, but I talked her out of.

We have enjoyed the art auctions on a few of our cruises - on my last cruise I actually bought 5 pieces. The cruise before that we purchased two take-off lots. I agree with others' statements about not buying for investment purposes. I buy things which I like and can't get locally (or online) and which I will enjoy framing and having on my wall. Just know what you're buying, and don't get carried away with "auction fever" as some people do. I admit, I bought a few things I probably shouldn't have, but those pieces were only $50 each, and I do like them - just didn't really "need" them. The pieces I spent $200 or more on were pieces I've admired for a long while and decided ahead of time to purchase if they were available on board. 12 or 13 years ago when I was just out of grad school and broke, I took my first cruise and spent $650 on a Dali - seemed so frivolous at the time, but that is my single most treasured possession, and I'm so glad I bought it (haven't seen anything like it on any cruise since).

I do not know why people criticize the art auctions.

We were once given a free piece of art that was easily worth what we paid for it.

More fun is to find something that costs about $ 10,000 and haggle with them.

I did bid and won an auction years ago and than realize the stupidity of bidding against myself.

I've purchased numerous items from the Park West art auctions onboard Carnival ships, and I'm extremely pleased with my acquisitions. I was able to find multiple works by a select few artists in colors that matched my home decor, and it kept a consistent theme throughout. All were pleasing to my eyes, and I've gotten lots of compliments from guests. That's the sole purpose of the purchases. Nothing at all was purchased with the idea of it being an investment, and I think doing so would have been totally stupid on my part. They are worth (to me) exactly what I paid, and probably not a dollar more.

There are the occasional unique (one of a kind) pieces that can be found onboard that have the possibility of increasing in value, but I'll leave that sort of stuff to the more knowledgable collectors, which I'm not. The idea of hanging works by Peter Max in my home makes me cringe, but for those who like it, that's great - - just not my thing for sure.

I'd like to offer an example of 'perceived value ' vs 'announced value' concerning art collection through onboard Park West auctions. Several of the large items often tauted as being "worth $650+", though provided free to those who either win it via raffle, or by acquiring the PWG credit card, is nothing more than large poster art, with no actual signature on the print. This piece by Emile Bellet was a primary example for a couple of years, and some who acquired it hoped to make a profit by a re-sell. For the most part, the piece is viewed online as being quite worthless.

These two eBay links for the exact same thing show the wide range of perceived value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emile-Bellet-Steriolithograph-Dor-et-de-Reve-COA-2005_W0QQitemZ110419865672QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b5897048&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emile-Bellet-Dor-et-de-Reve-Seriolithograph-2005-COA_W0QQitemZ170305726764QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArt_Prints?hash=item27a703292c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I've purchased numerous items from the Park West art auctions onboard Carnival ships, and I'm extremely pleased with my acquisitions. I was able to find multiple works by a select few artists in colors that matched my home decor, and it kept a consistent theme throughout. All were pleasing to my eyes, and I've gotten lots of compliments from guests. That's the sole purpose of the purchases. Nothing at all was purchased with the idea of it being an investment, and I think doing so would have been totally stupid on my part. They are worth (to me) exactly what I paid, and probably not a dollar more.

There are the occasional unique (one of a kind) pieces that can be found onboard that have the possibility of increasing in value, but I'll leave that sort of stuff to the more knowledgable collectors, which I'm not. The idea of hanging works by Peter Max in my home makes me cringe, but for those who like it, that's great - - just not my thing for sure.

I'd like to offer an example of 'perceived value ' vs 'announced value' concerning art collection through onboard Park West auctions. Several of the large items often tauted as being "worth $650+", though provided free to those who either win it via raffle, or by acquiring the PWG credit card, is nothing more than large poster art, with no actual signature on the print. This piece by Emile Bellet was a primary example for a couple of years, and some who acquired it hoped to make a profit by a re-sell. For the most part, the piece is viewed online as being quite worthless.

These two eBay links for the exact same thing show the wide range of perceived value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emile-Bellet-Steriolithograph-Dor-et-de-Reve-COA-2005_W0QQitemZ110419865672QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b5897048&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emile-Bellet-Dor-et-de-Reve-Seriolithograph-2005-COA_W0QQitemZ170305726764QQcmdZViewItemQQptZArt_Prints?hash=item27a703292c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

LMAO..."lady in the red dress"....

I have one like that. I'm 99% sure it was free just for showing up. I actually like it. Put it in a $20 frame/mat and it hangs in my home bar. I KNOW I would not have purchased it. So it was either free for showing up to the art auction (and getting a number so you bid - but NO requirement to bid) or a drawing or something.

If I have some time later tonight/tomorrow, I'll take a pic of it.

During our many trips to the art auctions, we have won 2 pieces of artwork thru the raffle ticket they pull for "one lucky individual." They were a decent size. We have also received quite of few smaller prints that they give just for showing up.

First time I won I didn't have to pay shipping. Of course tried to sell other stuff (framing, certificate of value, etc.) but I didn't bite....give me my freebie & let me be on my way. In later years when I won the 2nd piece they charged about $25.-$30. to mail it to me. A friend was buying something so I told them to ship them both in one container & we split the cost. Again, I bought none of the extras & the sales people seemed ok with it...at least to my face - lol - but who cares.

For years these pieces sat in the mailing tubes (one I didn't care for, the other I liked but no place to hang it & framing even at Michaels can become costly, since these prints don't seem to fit standard frames) so my husband listed them each for $25. on E-Bay. Didn't even get one bite!!!! They're still in my basement.

I do find it fun to just see what the auctions have to offer, drink a free sparkling wine (once they had an auction by invitation only & gave drinks of choice but that was a while back - who knows how my husband & I got selected for that one), and ponder the question: "Do people really know what they're buying or just get caught up in the moment bidding on some of these expensive piece?"

I do not know why people criticize the art auctions.

We were once given a free piece of art that was easily worth what we paid for it.

More fun is to find something that costs about $ 10,000 and haggle with them.

I did bid and won an auction years ago and than realize the stupidity of bidding against myself.

If it was free, then it could be worth what you paid for it. It was free.:rolleyes:

Steve

To each his own, I suppose.

We enjoy going to the art auctions. It is a nice break from the sun. We wander around and look at the art. We sip our champagne, and watch the people walking around.

I agree that this is probably not the venue to actually purchase something as an investment. However, some of the free prints given away are hanging in my home and look quite nice. We have occassionally bid on a few things, but always for the fun of it, but we don't usually win as we really aren't willing to spend alot of money on the print.

For me, though, the real enjoyment is listening to the various topics descussed during the auction. I find it interesting to learn about the different ways the art is produced, to hear the stories behind the painting, to open myself up to things I may not have normally looked at.

So I say go to the auction and don't let the nay-sayers sniff at you and look down their noses at you because you dare to go to an art auction at sea! Oh the horror! Oh the rip-off! Well, I say: oh please!

I'm on a cruise. It is a fun diversion. Why does it have to be any deeper than that?

Has anyone had experience with the Art Auction? Is it the same as on RCCL?

This is the first CCL cruise for us where we might actually be interested in some art for our home.

Thanks

Yes, it's the same as RCCL.

To each his own, I suppose.

We enjoy going to the art auctions. It is a nice break from the sun. We wander around and look at the art. We sip our champagne, and watch the people walking around.

I agree that this is probably not the venue to actually purchase something as an investment. This is exactly what the "nay-sayers" are referring to. These items are pushed and promoted as an INVESTMENT, which they most definitely aren't. However, some of the free prints given away are hanging in my home and look quite nice. We have occassionally bid on a few things, but always for the fun of it, but we don't usually win as we really aren't willing to spend alot of money on the print.

For me, though, the real enjoyment is listening to the various topics descussed during the auction. I have to if for no other reason than to listen to the specific words used, and the psychology of the "pitch" and to watch the eyes and body movements of those several that are sucked in.These provide valuable sales tools. :D I find it interesting to learn about the different ways the art is produced, to hear the stories behind the painting, to open myself up to things I may not have normally looked at.

So I say go to the auction and don't let the nay-sayers sniff at you and look down their noses at you because you dare to go to an art auction at sea! Oh the horror! Oh the rip-off! Well, I say: oh please!

The OP asked the question and I responded. Don't misunderstand me, I'm in favor of cruiseline ripoffs ! ! Makes my passage rate less expensive. :D

I'm on a cruise. It is a fun diversion. Why does it have to be any deeper than that?

Probably a "fun diversion" for you, but for some, especially the uninformed that think they are making a killer deal, it most definitely is NOT. The champagne and hype work on that one person out of 20. Those few paxs are their legal prey. :)

Here is the one I have (and another one). Sorry about the bad photo, quick iPhone pic. These small prints I (we) got for free for just showing up and registering. I checked with wife and she doesn't remember ever winning a drawing or anything. She also reminded me we have several other of these smaller prints that we never bothered to frame. So I might look through them to see if they match these two. Both of these are in $20-$30 glass frame/mats hanging in my bar.

2prints.jpg

reddressl.jpg

Not only is the "excitement" of the auction a draw for some, but the entire appraisal issue. IMO there is nothing more stupid and obviously self serving then providing appraisals with dollar amounts on them. An appraisal IMO should be free, clearly describing the item. No need for dollar amount.

Even jewelry appraisals are ridiculous. There is no point is providing a dollar amount. It is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what you can buy the item for.

Here is the one I have (and another one). Sorry about the bad photo, quick iPhone pic. These small prints I (we) got for free for just showing up and registering. I checked with wife and she doesn't remember ever winning a drawing or anything. She also reminded me we have several other of these smaller prints that we never bothered to frame. So I might look through them to see if they match these two. Both of these are in $20-$30 glass frame/mats hanging in my bar.

2prints.jpg

reddressl.jpg

Not only is the "excitement" of the auction a draw for some, but the entire appraisal issue. IMO there is nothing more stupid and obviously self serving then providing appraisals with dollar amounts on them. An appraisal IMO should be free, clearly describing the item. No need for dollar amount.

Even jewelry appraisals are ridiculous. There is no point is providing a dollar amount. It is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what you can buy the item for.

Precisely my arguement. Its the hype associated with the phony appraisals that "sucks" the uninformed into bidding up these art pieces.

Great pics, by the way. I particularly like the lady in the red dress. I'm sure you derive much enjoyment from them, especially in view of the PRICE. :D

Archived