Balata Gardens, Mt Pelee, St Pierre Tour Cost

KarenandKevin

Many have mentioned you can book a cab from the pier for site seeing excursions. We generally find these to be the best anyway. I'd like to get a tour to the north end of the island to see Balata, Pelee and St Pierre. Does anyone have an idea of what the cost would be? Not many of the Martinique sites post costs.

We booked our excursion through the cruise line (HAL) because I could find out very little when it came to excursions that we could book ourselves. We had a wonderful time in Martinique!

Don't know if you've been there before or not, but here's some things we did that really helped. Because we speak no French I took along a sheet that listed basic French phrases. The locals were really pleased that we made an effort to speak their language. I even got a hug from one local.

We also took along Euros and I am glad we did. The exchange rate that we found was for one USD the store owners wanted 2 Euros.

I wished we would have been able to organize our own tour because I would have liked to spent more time at the gardens. If you're looking for souvenirs, there is a small shop on the grounds of the gardens. There is also a bigger shop (that's not part of the gardens) just to your right as you are about to enter the gardens. If you don't look off to your right, you might walk right past the shop. The front of the shop faces the road you will looking down. I happened to see clothing blowing in the breeze or I would have missed it completely. The owners were so nice and friendly.

Here are our Martinique photos from our Webshot page.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570043821EHtLyM

Edited to add:

I took a look at the pictures I took and here's the store I was mentioning. It's in between the parking lot and the garden.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2545517440104783828ZGIFxy

• 2 months later...
We booked our excursion through the cruise line (HAL) because I could find out very little when it came to excursions that we could book ourselves. We had a wonderful time in Martinique!

Don't know if you've been there before or not, but here's some things we did that really helped. Because we speak no French I took along a sheet that listed basic French phrases. The locals were really pleased that we made an effort to speak their language. I even got a hug from one local.

We also took along Euros and I am glad we did. The exchange rate that we found was for one USD the store owners wanted 2 Euros.

I wished we would have been able to organize our own tour because I would have liked to spent more time at the gardens. If you're looking for souvenirs, there is a small shop on the grounds of the gardens. There is also a bigger shop (that's not part of the gardens) just to your right as you are about to enter the gardens. If you don't look off to your right, you might walk right past the shop. The front of the shop faces the road you will looking down. I happened to see clothing blowing in the breeze or I would have missed it completely. The owners were so nice and friendly.

Edited to add:

I took a look at the pictures I took and here's the store I was mentioning. It's in between the parking lot and the garden.

was it a ship tour from hal if yes i am planing to take the same tour can you please give me more info?

Edited to add:

hi we are planing to do a st pierre and botanical garden tour as well this december can you please give me more info about it ,was that the tour in your photos?

i think we were on the same ship we were on january 3 /2009 noordam hoping to hear from you soon

thank you

helen

hi we are planing to do a st pierre and botanical garden tour as well this december can you please give me more info about it ,was that the tour in your photos?

i think we were on the same ship we were on january 3 /2009 noordam hoping to hear from you soon

thank you

helen

Helen,

We did the St. Pierre & Botanical Garden – (4 hours $89) which I booked once we were on the ship. I wanted to do an island tour, but nothing was offered. We actually enjoyed this excursion, and I'd book it again next time we are visiting Martinique. That's the tour that is in my Martinique photos on Webshots. We really liked the touring bus ... it was large and comfy. Not crowded like some of the tour buses can get.

Helen,

Here's my review of our day on Martinique I posted on CC just after we returned to the ship. We really had a lovely time on Martinique, and look forward to one day returning for a visit. :) We were on the Noordam this past Jan/Feb for our cruise. I can't wait to cruise the Noordam again! If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them for you.

Happy sailing!!

We had a wonderful day in Martinique. I was a bit hesitant about visiting this island because I knew very little about it, but we came away wanting to return for a land vacation.

We ended up docking at the pier near the downtown area. I thought we’d be at the other one, which is not as close, but we weren’t. Also in port today was a ship that looked like a big sail boat, I believe the name on the ship was “Sea Cloud” but I am not sure about the name. I’ll have to look up the ship later and see what I can find out about it (and the line).

Before I mention our excursion I want to say that we found the people to be VERY friendly. I brought along $300 in Euros and I am glad I did. The people on the island for the most part will take the USD, but you get a lot more for your money with the Euro. Most of the places we went either wanted $1 Euro or $2 USD for the same item. When I told them I had Euros, their faces lit up like the Rockefeller Christmas Tree. This isn’t necessary, but it really helps. I am sure there are places that only take Euros, but we didn’t encounter any while we were shopping.

Another CC poster mentioned the man who sells paintings on the pier. I saw him and was going to stop on the way back, but he was gone by the time we returned. So if you want a picture, buy it when you arrive, otherwise, he may be gone when you get back to that area.

Also carry along a sheet with French/English basic questions and words if you don't speak French. This went a LONG way with the people on Martinique. I pretty much used my sheet all the time, from the people that greet you at the pier, to the people working in the shops. Every single person that we encountered was overjoyed that I was making an effort to communicate with them in their language. I had several who HUGGED me. No kidding. I had several people who called other workers to look at my list and they got a kick out of it. They even talked to me in French. Fortunately for me one of the phrases I had on my list in French was, “I don’t understand, please speak slowly.” They all seemed to get a charge out of that and we had a good time laughing.

For those that like to shop (ME), where we docked there were a few vendors selling a variety of small items. I took a look and saw most of the items (t-shirts, necklaces, paintings [big-not sure how you’d get them home], bracelets, and general souvenirs. There wasn’t a whole lot to choose from, but enough to find a few items if you are looking for that sort of thing. There’s also a duty-free shop not too far from the dock, but we didn’t have time to visit. We talked to several “Nuts” that were just going to walk around town. We’ve met two couples (both CCer’s) that are so much fun!

I’m a doo-dad collector. I collect refrigerator magnets and snow globes wherever we travel and the cheesier…the better. lol So…for those posters who are looking for these types of things, I thought I mention where we found them. We did HAL's St. Pierre & Botanical Gardens tour ($89 per person, but I thought it was worth the money-you travel in a big air-conditioned bus-it was very nice). You’ll have 20 minutes or so at the Botanical Garden. There’s a small gift shop on the grounds (really small-postcards, bowls, magnets…things like that) and there’s a gift shop just at the entrance of the gardens that has quite a few items. I was pinched for time (I am ALWAYS the last person on the bus, so I am working hard to fix that…lol)

I went to the shop just outside the Botanical Gardens and found all the doo-dads that I needed. I swept though the place like a woman on a mission. The couple that owned the place are very sweet, and again, using the Euros and trying to talk to them in French was fun and they laughed and we had a good time. The man gave me a cute little carved fish and said it was for me because I was so special. I don’t know if he says that to all the hot chicks (haha) or not, but he was a real sweetheart, as was his wife.

When leaving the Gardens, our guide pointed to our bus and I boarded the bus. Well, it wasn’t our bus, but it was loaded with people that I’d been on tour with all week on the other islands. They remembered me (I was always the last one on the bus) and when I looked around, they looked at me like, “Dang, we’re lucky…this isn’t your bus, girlfriend!” So back the safety of strangers that didn’t know me and my habit to be the last to board! I never made our group late to leave an area, but I was always the last. I did much better today!

Anyway … prior to visiting the botanical garden, we stopped at a local church. It was a beautiful Catholic church high upon the side of a mountain. We walked inside and around the grounds. You’ll have a great view of the ship (if you dock where we did). There was a lady there who was selling pastry (and by now, you know I can’t pass those by!) and soda pop/water, so I bought a pastry (a banana/berry treat). She was stunned that I had Euros and thrilled that I tried to talk to her in French.

After this, we went to a Volcanological (say that 5 times very quickly and you’ll probably be beamed up by Scotty). The museum was very small but very interesting. There are several vendors selling tote bags, cloth dolls, hats, shirts, bowls…things like that next to the museum. I heard one guy tell a customer that he also took USD, but because the USD was so weak, they prefer the Euro.

Across the street from the museum, there’s a small gift shop. This is where I saw some pretty bad behavior by a fellow cruise ship passenger. Without going into details, I witnessed something that made it clear why foreigners might be a tad bit leery of us. And naturally, I was the next customer after the rude woman. But the minute I said ”Salut,” the clerk smiled at me. And when I said I had Euros, she about came over the counter and hugged me. Seriously, if you can’t bring Euros, carry a sheet of paper with French words and phrases and you’ll be fine. And if you know French, you’re even in better shape than I was. But they seemed particularly tickled as I butchered their language. They weren’t laughing at me, they laughed with me. It was so much fun!

So where was I…

After leaving the area where the museum is located, we stopped to take pictures at a particularly beautiful overlook. Our guide was fabulous and she talked the entire time and filled us in on everything from Creole language to the history of the island. Did you know that when you want a driver’s license on Martinique, it’s going to cost you a little over a thousand Euros. Okay, the next time the State of Kansas hits me up for $13.50, I am not going to say a word!!

After our excursion and doing a little shopping we headed back to the ship and back to the friendly staff.

There was no dancing for me today. Early in the excursion, I mentioned to DH that I was not going to dance around today. His comment was, “It’s still early in the day for you.” So I showed him! Fortunately for him, we didn’t come across anyone playing music so I didn’t have an opportunity to do so.

Our guide told us that the French word for darling is Do Do. My hubby is now known as Do Do Hubby (DH).

Au revoir for now!

• 1 month later...
Sounds a great trip, just what we're looking for. We don't want to do the distillery bit of the ship tour.

Was your price per person or for your party ??...who did you book the trip with ?

We booked our excursion through HAL. The price was per person. I can't remember if there were people at the port area offering excursions or not. Martinique was the one island that I really couldn't find much in the way of excursions on our own, so I ended up booking through the cruise line.

We really enjoyed this excursion, so much, that we're going to book it again when we visit Martinique on our next cruise that I just booked. :)

Archived