Civitavecchia hotel - Sunbay Park

srosenz

Anyone ever stay at the Sunbay Park hotel which has a Civitavecchia address and is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the Port. We'll be there only one night - pre Windstar cruise departure night. Two concerns: 1. the availability of taxis the next morning from the Sunbay to the port. 2. The Sunbay has obviously been around for a while so I don't anticipate a "resort". We're only looking for something quiet, clean, decent beds and airconditioning with a nice (not great) restaurant for dinner that night and breakfast the next day. Would love to hear from someone whose been there.

Here is our general plan. If anyone sees a "flaw" in our thinking - would love to hear from you! Our flight from California arrives at FCO airport at 2 PM. We doubt if we'll get to the hotel before 5 PM (passport control + baggage claim + 1 hour drive). I read all the posted info about websites for cabs/cars/transfers which I very much appreciate. We've been to Rome a number of times so our idea is just to go straight to Civitavecchia and crash early. The pictures of the Sunbay look perfect - a nice quiet hotel on the shores of the Med with their own pool. Our plan is a drink by the pool, an early dinner, and a relaxing morning the following day before heading to the port. Our Windstar cruise starts boarding at 1 PM. Our plan is to board at 1 with our luggage (I know about the free shuttle on the pier to the ships), and then head back out on the shuttle to spend the afternoon having a light lunch and walking around the town. Then back to the ship around 5 to unpack and get ready for dinner. Ship doesn't depart until 7 PM. All of the posted info about Civitavecchia has really helped me put this plan in place - thank you all.

Comments welcome!srosenz@comcast.net

Anyone ever stay at the Sunbay Park hotel which has a Civitavecchia address and is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the Port. We'll be there only one night - pre Windstar cruise departure night. Two concerns: 1. the availability of taxis the next morning from the Sunbay to the port. 2. The Sunbay has obviously been around for a while so I don't anticipate a "resort". We're only looking for something quiet, clean, decent beds and airconditioning with a nice (not great) restaurant for dinner that night and breakfast the next day. Would love to hear from someone whose been there.

Here is our general plan. If anyone sees a "flaw" in our thinking - would love to hear from you! Our flight from California arrives at FCO airport at 2 PM. We doubt if we'll get to the hotel before 5 PM (passport control + baggage claim + 1 hour drive). I read all the posted info about websites for cabs/cars/transfers which I very much appreciate. We've been to Rome a number of times so our idea is just to go straight to Civitavecchia and crash early. The pictures of the Sunbay look perfect - a nice quiet hotel on the shores of the Med with their own pool. Our plan is a drink by the pool, an early dinner, and a relaxing morning the following day before heading to the port. Our Windstar cruise starts boarding at 1 PM. Our plan is to board at 1 with our luggage (I know about the free shuttle on the pier to the ships), and then head back out on the shuttle to spend the afternoon having a light lunch and walking around the town. Then back to the ship around 5 to unpack and get ready for dinner. Ship doesn't depart until 7 PM. All of the posted info about Civitavecchia has really helped me put this plan in place - thank you all.

Comments welcome!srosenz@comcast.net

We stayed there 2 years ago, also before a Windstar cruise. The hotel was ok - not great but ok. We had a room with a balcony with a sea view.

I was not over impressed with the food at dinner and because of its location there are not too many alternatives. Breakfast we also found had very little selection.

The big problem we had with staying at this hotel was getting to the port the day of sailing. Most of the people staying at the hotel were cruise passengers pre-cruise (this was towards the end of October).

We booked a cab at reception to take us to the port but it became chaotic. Lots of people had booked cabs and no-one seemed to know which cabs were which.

We waited outside the hotel for nearly 2 hours trying to get a cab to take us. In the end we shared with someone else that was going to the Wind Surf.

Maybe we were unlucky but I would not stay at this hotel again. You may be better to look for somewhere else.

Archived