Review - Mariner 7/22 Seward-Vancouver

I am thinking of booking with the navigator next summer to alaska, we are a group of 10 and have a third passenger in 3 rooms, the rooms are all together, and they said they would put a roll a way in the room.... My guess is there are no limits.... It is too bad. I was hoping this would be a great cruise, now it looks like I am contributing to the problem.

I am simply going to be honest here. If your third passenger in three rooms are children, you may be booking the wrong ship. We have sailed all three ships -- do not have a problem with a few children on Regent. However, the Navigator is the last place I can imagine children. There are simply no public spaces for them (exception is the theater). Everything is simply too small (except the suites).

Many repeat Regent customers have contacted Regent about their gross overbooking of the Mariner. The Mariner has the most spacious "public spaces" of any of Regent's ships. Still, 150+ children does not work. The swimming pool is the size of two or three jacuzzi's.

I assume you plan on booking your cruise during the summer. If you and your friends/relatives are willing to put up with overcrowding, stressed out crew, etc., you can certainly book the Navigator. If, however, you would like a good Regent experience, I highly recommend booking the Voyager or Mariner during the summer.

They are children, but they are all teenagers. 17, 15, and two 13 year olds. Still, we would like to all gather to play cards or something. I don't think the kids will be too much of a problem. We will be off the boat as much as possible. We are trying to please the 80 year old grandma who is taking us on the cruise. The kids would much rather have a huge rock climbing, wave pool cruise, and the 40ish parents would rather have a small boat with Kayaks and Zodiacs but we all are trying to compromise for Grandma. The Navigator is the only Regent line in alaska next summer.

Alaskabound2323, given your circumstances I'd book the Navigator in a heartbeat. It is a great deal for folks traveling with kids. And my guess is the kids in your group will enjoy the fact that lots of other kids are on board. While IMO the larger mass market ships are much better for traveling with kids because they offer a much wider range of shipboard entertainment options, the Navigator should be fine for you since you will be on a very port intensive itinerary. Now Travelcat is absolutely right, the Navigator is the least kids friendly of the Regent ships because of her reduced size. You might not notice this since your are entertaining kids, but passengers not with kids well might--not your problem! If Grandma won't consider one of the big mass market ships, keep her happy and enjoy Navigator. Lots of us who don't want to cruise with large numbers of kids will be on other vessels, but we will be wishing you well. Pat

Archived