QM2 hits dock

Cunard Cruiser

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2009/07/bumpy-ride-for-new-cruise-boss.html

I wonder if any drydcok time will be needed later this year?

I was on this voyage and I am surprised how the news has been kept very quiet. The incident happened during a fierce and sudden storm (heavy winds and rain) in Zeebrugge, Belgium on 7/21/09.

The wind was so powerful that it pushed the vessel away from the pier, with lines snapping and gangways falling into the water. (Luckily no one was injured, thanks to the fast actions of the security team at the gangways)

During this storm, we were riding back to Zeebrugge from Bruges and when we arrived back at the pier, we were told that there was an incident and a delay in our re-boarding the ship.

But from the coach it was obvious that there was a commotion on the pier and ship alike, Deck 7 was full on the starboard side, with passengers looking down the side of the ship and acitivity on the pier.

There were at least 12 coaches returning from Cunard organized shore excursions when the incident took place and we were requested to stay on the coaches for our safety and comfort.

A slight delay is an understatement, me personally I was on the coach for close to 2 hours while the following took place.

• The engines had to be started up.
  • The ship had to be maneuvered several times to come back to the correct position along the pier.
  • A crane was set up to remove the gangway that had fallen into the water and inspected for structural integrity.
  • The gangway had to be cleaned as it had landed on one end in the mud of the river bed, which made it very slippery and dangerous.

We had some occasional updates on the coach what had happened and what was happening in terms of resolution.

There was only 1 coach in the queue in front of us, so we were pretty lucky to re-board early on, but because of the volume of passengers waiting to get on and the gangway being wet, the only allowed 50 passengers at a time to pass the security tape to re-board.

They then reconnected the fixed gangway on the pier to the aft shell doors and the process moved faster.

The tour was due back to the ship at 4:30; we re-boarded sometime after 6:20pm. When I past through the security at the top of the gangway I saw Ray Rouse, Cruise Director and I called to him if anyone was hurt and he reported back that luckily no one was injured in the incident.

So obviously we had past our original sailing time and everyone was aware that something has gone wrong, so then Capitan Bates, (who IMHO is a wonderful Master) came over the PA with the updated information, as rumors travel fast on ships.

He reported in full on the events of the afternoon, including that the ship in fact had hit her starboard stern on the pier, alerted us that no one was hurt, commended his crew on fast action, and that we were to remain at the dock until further notice. He told us that the engineers/insurance assessors were enroute to confirm his judgment that the ship was sound and safe to continue on her journey. He predicted a sailing after 9pm and he wasn’t that far off.

At approximately 10pm we set sail for the port of Rotterdam and being that I had the late seating for dinner, I didn’t hear any announcements about the departure, just saw the ship move away.

During dinner, we spoke with our tablemates, who were onboard and felt a considerable shutter while the rain and wind howled outdoors, then the sudden noises of the engines and movement of the ship. No one in our party actually saw or heard the gangways fall away from the side of the ship.

We pulled into Rotterdam on schedule from what I remember and Captain Bates told us that divers would meet the ship to carry out further inspections and that was the last word we heard. We sailed from Rotterdam, slightly delayed due to late coaches returning from Amsterdam, this was caused by the local traffic created by the draw of people to the ship in port. I tried to look down the side of the ship on the aft decks, but with the curvature of the hull I couldn’t see anything. The only pictures I have of the incident are of the gangway activity.

The passengers on my coach remained calm and there weren’t too many complaints, just a lot of guessing. Ok if there was one common complaint, it was that many people’s chocolates purchased in Bruges, had melted L on the coach as it was air conditioned but still a bit warm.

I feel that Captain Bates and his crew handled the situation very well and this unfortunate incident just added to our memories and stories of the voyage.

We were onboard at this time too - waiting for the Trivia Quiz to start in the Golden Lion Pub at 4.30. We felt no motion (or bump!) but I noticed we had moved out away from the dock, then the Captain then made an announcement for crew to man the mooring stations (or to that effect). Here are some pictures of the tour busses that had returned and the gangway that had fallen into the harbour. The Captain kept us regularly informed as to what was happening and that departure would be delayed until assessors had examined the damage. We departed at approx. 10 pm; shortly after we were enjoying a drink in Sir Samuel's and watching wonderful firework displays that were being held all along the Belgium coast as it had been a Public Holiday that day. :)

I was onboard as well, like LaBelle say's there was an the call went out for all hands to emergancy mooring stations or something like that and then a minute or two later there was a dump as the stern it the dock. I was up on deck 13 and it almost knocked me of off my feet. The Captain did a good job of keeping us informed for what was going on. It seems the gangway was so long it had got stuck on the bottom of the dock so they had to make the ship list to port so they could get pull it back into place.

Here are some pictures taken by a friend who was also on board.

rope.jpg

rope1.jpg

217637.jpg

7334h5.jpg

f3v144.jpg

I was onboard as well, like LaBelle say's there was an the call went out for all hands to emergancy mooring stations or something like that and then a minute or two later there was a dump as the stern it the dock. I was up on deck 13 and it almost knocked me of off my feet. The Captain did a good job of keeping us informed for what was going on. It seems the gangway was so long it had got stuck on the bottom of the dock so they had to make the ship list to port so they could get pull it back into place.

Here are some pictures taken by a friend who was also on board.

rope.jpg

rope1.jpg

217637.jpg

7334h5.jpg

f3v144.jpg

Hi Everyone

Thats interesting that this report is on today only yesterday I was checking out youtube under QM2 and if you search under most resent there is a clip about 7 mins long of the QM2 arriving in Rottedam the next day as she pulls in you can clearly see the damage

I was thinking oh look a dent somebody has lost there no claims bonus

Joking aside really glad there were no injuries I hope they dont dry dock her in November I have my first QM2 TA westbound booked on the 11th Novemeber

Soletread

c

Archived