Weather in late May

gridswaldtravlers

Late May and early June are the driest time of the year on average and often it's very warm as well - having lots of snow on the mountains is a big bonus. It's our favorite Alaska cruise time.

Great thanks. I was starting in worry. We are going the end of May 2010

I'm sure you know that Alaska weather is a crap shoot, at best. I was on the Zuiderdam May 23-30 cruise out of Vancouver this year. The 2 weeks preceding and the week after my cruise reported beautiful sunny days and warm temperatures. However, the week I was there it rained in every port except Juneau. I could hardly see the sights in Glacier Bay because of the pouring rain and clouds...boo hoo! I got literally drenched while standing on the platform of the White Pass train excursion. The upshot is I wore all of the rain and cold-weather clothes that I packed. :D So many have come home from their trips this year complaining that they packed too much...not me. ;)

Please understand, though, that the weather did not define my first trip to Alaska. It was a glorious and awe-inspiring trip that I'll never forget. I fell hopelessly in love with the majesty that is Alaska and am counting the minutes until I return next year.

Diane

I'm sure you know that Alaska weather is a crap shoot, at best. I was on the Zuiderdam May 23-30 cruise out of Vancouver this year. The 2 weeks preceding and the week after my cruise reported beautiful sunny days and warm temperatures. However, the week I was there it rained in every port except Juneau. I could hardly see the sights in Glacier Bay because of the pouring rain and clouds...boo hoo! I got literally drenched while standing on the platform of the White Pass train excursion. The upshot is I wore all of the rain and cold-weather clothes that I packed. :D So many have come home from their trips this year complaining that they packed too much...not me. ;)

Please understand, though, that the weather did not define my first trip to Alaska. It was a glorious and awe-inspiring trip that I'll never forget. I fell hopelessly in love with the majesty that is Alaska and am counting the minutes until I return next year.

Diane

Hey Diane, Thanks for the reply, I figure we will pack everything and hope for the best. With everything I have heard I am sure it will be find. And I will have all my Adult kids with me, so that alone will be great.

We were on a land/cruise for two weeks in Alaska, May 21 to June 5.

The weather couldn't have been nicer. Only one day of inclement weather, and that was in the mountains on the White Pass RR going to Skagway. The rest of the time we barely put on light jackets.

From what I've gleaned from CC folks, May and June are definitely the months to travel in AK. Plus there's the bonus of less kids under foot and hardly any mosquitoes.

Hope this helps.

Weather is very unpredictable at any time of year but the days will be getting longer in late May and in June as the Summer Solstice approaches. You also have to understand just how vast an area Alaska encompasses. Because of its size, the weather in one part of Alaska can be considerably different than what it will be in another region of the state on the same day. Temperatures in Fairbanks may be quite different than they will be in Juneau, and while it is raining in one region, the sun may be shining brightly in another.

You can check out the averages for the locations which you will be visiting but remember that those averages are not necessarily what you will experience. Prepare for most types of weather, dress in layers, and enjoy a trip of a lifetime.:)

On my honeymoon we took a cruise through Alaska from August 4-11 and preceded the trip with 4 days in Vancouver. When we got off the ship we vowed to take a cruisetour on our 10th Anniversary. Next year is our 10th Anniversary and I booked the first day Alaska 2010 became available.

We will be touring July 26-31 and Crusing from the 31st through August 7 and complete the vacation with 2 nights in Vancouver.

Diane

I was on the Golden Princess out of Seattle the same week, and our ships were in Skagway and Juneau the same days. While it rained in Skagway, we did the rail/bus excursion to the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters, and didn't get any nasty weather until mid-afternoon when we drove back to Skagway. It was also cold and drizzly the morning we were in Tracy Arm, so I wore ALL my layers for the several hours that I was out on deck. Our best weather was in Seattle pre and post-cruise, and in Victoria - although we couldn't dock because it was too windy. I can also report that the sun DOES shine in Ketchikan - but not for long!

Archived