Dining Room Attire

Uhhh, well Pete, if the formal nights have a suit and tie dress code and almost all the passengers adhere to it out of respect for one another, why don't you and your slacks and dress shirt eat at the Windjammer or in your room, out of respect for the other passengers?

Tipping is also suggested. So, I guess we could assume that if one claims the dress code is "suggested" and they do not follow the dress code, then those same people probably don't tip either, since it is only a suggestion.

Maybe not the same people, but based on the tipping threads on this forum, I'm sure that there are those that don't follow that suggestion either.

RCL is at least trying.

And I hope that they keep trying. As long as they have a suggested dress code, I know that I will not be the only one in the dining room following it. Without a suggested dress code, it would be a free for all.

Uhhh, well Pete, if the formal nights have a suit and tie dress code and almost all the passengers adhere to it out of respect for one another, why don't you and your slacks and dress shirt eat at the Windjammer or in your room, out of respect for the other passengers?

Um, because I paid for my vacation and I'm still walking into the MDR dressed in a respectable manner (not in jeans/shorts/t-shirt). How about creating a new rule that all of the men not wearing a black tux and a bow tie be banned from the MDR? Even those in suits are to be banned. Why not take it that far?

Um, because I paid for my vacation and I'm still walking into the MDR dressed in a respectable manner (not in jeans/shorts/t-shirt). How about creating a new rule that all of the men not wearing a black tux and a bow tie be banned from the MDR? Even those in suits are to be banned. Why not take it that far?

What does paying for your vacation have to do with it? :confused:

If someone pays for their vacation they can do as they please? :eek:

Even better, why not take it one step further. "In an effort to not disturb the ambiance, atmosphere and scenery, we should exclude vastly overweight/ugly people in the MDR as those folks obviously kill the mood and the appetite."

The point is that, you can take it as far as you want. On the extreme, are the tux/suit people and on the other are the people that come into the MDR in shorts. I was just indicating that wearing a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt would not be disrespectful and would not "kill" the mood for others, IMO. Unless you just won't except anything but 100% your way or the highway.

Whatever . . . .

I just double checked the RCI policies and it doesn't say anything about restrictions on ugly or fat peoople on formal nights, regardless of how offensive they may be to other pax.

Even ugly and fat people can put on formal clothes.

Even better, why not take it one step further. "In an effort to not disturb the ambiance, atmosphere and scenery, we should exclude vastly overweight/ugly people in the MDR as those folks obviously kill the mood and the appetite."

The point is that, you can take it as far as you want. On the extreme, are the tux/suit people and on the other are the people that come into the MDR in shorts. I was just indicating that wearing a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt would not be disrespectful and would not "kill" the mood for others, IMO. Unless you just won't except anything but 100% your way or the highway.

RCI does mix it up a bit. That is why they ask for TWO formal nights and FIVE casual nights on a 7 night cruise. So, certainly passengers could give in and follow the dress code for 29% of the time.

Um, because I paid for my vacation and I'm still walking into the MDR dressed in a respectable manner (not in jeans/shorts/t-shirt).

You really have a problem with jeans, but you don't appear to appreciate or acknowledge that others can feel the same way about what you want to wear.:confused:

Unless you just won't except anything but 100% your way or the highway.

Shades of the pan calling the kettle...

How about creating a new rule that all of the men not wearing a black tux and a bow tie be banned from the MDR? Even those in suits are to be banned. Why not take it that far?

Bad idea, then I wouldn't be able to wear my white dinner jacket.

You missed my point completely; it was about the arbitraness of the rule. In fact, it's not even a rule, but rather merely a suggestion (from RCI's website). As a suggestion, people are free to accept that suggestion or not, but they are not required to follow it until and unless it becomes a "rule".

As long as it continues to be a suggestion, people will have the choice to wear what they want to wear, including dress pants and dress shirts on formal nights. If you want to feel "exclusive", then frequent places that actually REQUIRE such a dress code and exclude those that don't follow the code, enjoy the in-room dining service, or just enjoy your meal in the MDR and not worry about other people are doing or wearing.

Otherwise, in the end, it is only a suggestion, and folks can wear whatever they want to wear. Though I believe IMO that an unwritten (unenforceable) rule should be no jeans/shorts in the MDR.

You missed my point completely; it was about the arbitraness of the rule. In fact, it's not even a rule, but rather merely a suggestion (from RCI's website). As a suggestion, people are free to accept that suggestion or not, but they are not required to follow it until and unless it becomes a "rule".

As long as it continues to be a suggestion, people will have the choice to wear what they want to wear, including dress pants and dress shirts on formal nights. If you want to feel "exclusive", then frequent places that actually REQUIRE such a dress code and exclude those that don't follow the code, enjoy the in-room dining service, or just enjoy your meal in the MDR and not worry about other people are doing or wearing.

Otherwise, in the end, it is only a suggestion, and folks can wear whatever they want to wear. Though I agree that an unwritten (unenforceable) rule should be no jeans/shorts in the MDR.

Tipping is also suggested. So, I guess we could assume that if one claims the dress code is "suggested" and they do not follow the dress code, then those same people probably don't tip either, since it is only a suggestion.

That's some pretty flawed logic there.

I'm not sure how one assumes that because a person does not agree or follow one particular suggestion, they necessarily won't agree to any suggestion made to them, especially when the suggestions are so far off from each other (one about dress code, and another about compensating people that have provided you with a service).

Sorry, that makes no sense.

I'm sure all of you once in your life did not follow a suggestion made to you, but that didn't mean that you didn't follow all other subsequent suggestions (as evidenced by the fact that you follow the RCI formal night attire suggestion).

Again, your logic and leap was pretty weak there.

That's some pretty flawed logic there.

I'm not sure how one assumes that because a person does not agree or follow one particular suggestion, they necessarily won't agree to any suggestion made to them, especially when the suggestions are so far off from each other (one about dress code, and another about compensating people that have provided you with a service).

Sorry, that makes no sense.

I'm sure all of you once in your life did not follow a suggestion made to you, but that didn't mean that you didn't follow all other subsequent suggestions (as evidenced by the fact that you follow the RCI formal night attire suggestion).

Again, your logic and leap was pretty weak there.

More "sugar coating".

These two assumptions are very much related, as they both concern the dining room.

Please show me where on Royal's website it says that the dress code is optional. It provides "suggestions" on how to dress in order to comply with the dress code (as otherwise some people might mistake a shirt and slacks as formal attire), but no where does it say it is optional to adhere to the dress code.

[QUOTE]Though I believe IMO that an unwritten (unenforceable) rule should be no jeans/shorts in the MDR. [/QUOTE]
No shorts in the MDR at dinner is not an unwritten rule. It's usually written very cleary in the Cruise Compass and I've seen it many times posted outside the MDR in the evening, and it's not a suggestion. RCI chooses, most of the time, to turn a blind eye to those who can't read.
As to jeans, RCI used to encourage jeans in the MDR when they had a Country Western Theme night. I haven't seen a CW theme night recently, but I still wear my jeans in the MDR at least once per cruise and I'll guarantee I look just as good as you wearing a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt, I'm not disrespectful and it doesn't "kill" the mood for others. Just my not so humble opinion.

Obviously, this is going nowhere, so I'll leave it alone.

Seems like many want to have the EXCLUSIVE experience of feeling that they are at a fancy Washington DC gala by wearing tuxes/suits, while they are on a fairly inexpensive vacation on a cruise ship with tons of people and a cruise ship that does not have an absolute requirement for its passengers to wear tuxes/suits.

Unfortunately, until and unless RCI absolutely requires and denies entry to folks not wearing a tux/suit, people will keep wearing what they want. That's just they way it is. And if I were you, I would accept that and make my cruise/vacations plans accordingly.

If I really wanted that exclusive feel and only wanted folks in that kind of attire next to me, then I would plan accordingly and choose an establishment/location/cruise line that absbolutely requires it (of course, if it were in my budget). If not, or couldn't afford it, then I would live with and accept the rules as they are, and expect folks not to all wear a tux/suit.

Enjoy your cruises, as I will continue to do the same (in my slacks and dress shirt in the MDR, and yes, on formal nights!).

I'll be cruising next month with my wife, son, and my parents... I'm in my mid 20's and my parents in their 60's/70's...

Formal nights, I'll be wearing a black suit and I'm sure my father will wear a tux... I even got my 1 year old a tux!

The other nights, I'll more than likely be wearing jeans with a button down or polo... my dad will wear dress pants/shirt

I will always maintain a clean appearance. I won't smell.

We will be seated at our own table....

I am very active when I cruise... I use every available minute to my advantage... getting dressed up for dinner isn't a priority nor will it ever be... for people who like the dressing up and atmosphere perhaps they should stick with the specialty restaurants....

Today's cruiser wants to relax... but they don't mind getting dressed up for a night...

RCI markets themselves as a family cruise line... families don't get dressed up like that for dinner that often....

I know I don't and I frequent high end restaurants almost weekly

and that is exactly the reason RCI goes to extra expense to provide alternate dining for those that don't won't to follow the rules. So why can't you just eat where you are suppose to by the way you dress? It's more then breaking/bending the rules. Those following the rules/suggestions would not be called snobs. Those that don't, well snob may be too good a word for them.

[quote name='F5Loar']and that is exactly the reason RCI goes to extra expense to provide alternate dining for those that don't won't to follow the rules. So why can't you just eat where you are suppose to by the way you dress? It's more then breaking/bending the rules. Those following the rules/suggestions would not be called snobs. Those that don't, well snob may be too good a word for them.[/quote]

well, that would be a good idea except for the fact that you're in the minority so why don't YOU go to the restaurants... they're smaller and will be able to handle the old fashioned types... probably with room left over...

RCI doesn't enforce the rules because they'd lose more customers than they'd gain...

[quote name='mjm1204']well, that would be a good idea except for the fact that you're in the minority so why don't YOU go to the restaurants... they're smaller and will be able to handle the old fashioned types... probably with room left over...

RCI doesn't enforce the rules because they'd lose more customers than they'd gain...[/quote]

They choose to not enforce the dress code because if they turn away the impropperly dressed, they know they will not get their gratuity.

I must admit, one can always count on these dining attire threads to be entertaining!;) "The Clothes Police" are always out in force and I am never ceased to be amazed at those who feel that their experience is ruined by those who do not dress to their standards.

I have never worn shorts, cut off shirts, hats, flip flops, (etc.) in the MDR. I always [B]choose [/B]to wear a jacket and tie on formal night. I also [B]choose[/B] not to let those who dress otherwise ruin my experience. I guess that I am just too busy enjoying the company of my wife and our cruise!

[quote name='seafood']On Royal Caribbean's website, Q&A section, it says the following for dinner attire:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
[IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/IMG][SIZE=2]Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women[/SIZE][SIZE=2][IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/IMG][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women[/SIZE][SIZE=2][IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/IMG][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women[/SIZE]

Are men really expected to wear jackets and ties on the smart casual nights?

Thanks in advance for all responses.[/quote]

No...don't worry about it. Smart Casual and Casual have more or less merged. Some nice slacks with a collard shirt (sports or otherwise) is just fine.

Archived