May 2010 in Cozumel...getting married!

I would love any advice that former and current brides can give on a cruise/destination wedding.

We are planning to get married at Playa Uvas in C-mel in May using Fiona Lomax (Something Special). We will be cruising there via Royal Caribbean. We don't want to spend a lot on the wedding, plus we feel that we don't need to spend a lot with such a gorgeous background. We plan to honeymoon at the Wyndham Aura in C-mel. Any tips, advice warnings, shared stories on the cruise, wedding or honeymoon would be appreciated.

Read on if you want to hear our story...

Jeff and I met on what was the first cruise for both of us (Celebrity Century, April 2008). A local professional organization had organized the cruise. Being members, but never having met at a member event, we didn't know each other leading up to the cruise. A month before the cruise, the group held a meeting to discuss questions, since most of us were first time cruisers. I remember Jeff walking into the meeting at the end of the meeting...he's very tall, hard to miss. I ran past him out the door, without a word...I was very sick with a bad gall bladder (I ended up in the ER later that night!)

My roommate on the cruise was my good friend Mark...everyone thought we were a couple. The first night at dinner, Mark and I were seated with 3 extremely drunk women who threw food at us all during dinner. We agreed that the next night, we would sit with other friends at another table. By this point, I still hadn't met Jeff and would not meet him until the second night at dinner. The next night over dinner, the guys were chatting about something (going to bars or something) and the girls were chatting about relationships. I made a comment in response to a story about dating woes that was something like "...and that's why I'm never dating again!" Jeff said he heard my comment and realized at that moment that Mark and I were not a couple and that I was single and available. After dinner, the group went to a Martini bar and Jeff approached me and asked about the status of Mark's and my relationship. I told him that I could never date Mark...he just wasn't my type. Jeff and I hung out the rest of the evening (with the group) talking and getting to know each other.

The next morning I was confronted by friends about a possible love connection. I said "I really like him...but...I don't trust men." I was assured that he was a good guy and I should give him a chance. That day we landed in C-mel and the group had an excursion planned at Playa Uvas. Jeff had not planned to be on the excursion, but quickly invited himself when he found that I would be there. The group kayaked first...I hesitated to ask Mark to be my partner and he luckily asked another girl that he was interested in (she turned him down, but by then I had already asked Jeff). I learned later that Jeff had kept his roommate up late the night before talking about me and had stated that I had to make the next move. I guess I made the next move!

As the group was eating and drinking after the excursion, Jeff asked me to sit with him. At that point, we were inseparable. We hung out together the rest of the night, stayed up all night talking, watched the sun rise from the top of the ship, slept by the pool the next day, spent the day in Miami when the ship returned and basically moved in together once we got back to Ohio. I didn't know I had it in me to move so fast!

The following February, the professional group went on another cruise (RC's Navigator this time) and Jeff proposed.

We want to relive the cruise in which we met for our wedding. Jeff considers Playa Uvas and kayaking to be our first date, so we've chosen that location for our wedding. Due to costs, we opted for RC instead of Celebrity, to save our family and friends a little money. Jeff wanted to marry on Cinco De Mayo, but since it's a Mexican holiday, we are planning to marry on May 1 and spend Cinco De Mayo celebrating our love in Cozumel. We can't wait!

Well you had my interest and I loved your story! I definitely think a cruise and a destination wedding is perfect. I have absolutely no knowledge about cozumel but I am sure that you will find tons of information on this board. Everyone here is great! I only know about Princess and a little about Carnival. Best of luck in your planning, I am sure you will have an awesome wedding!

MalibuBarbie

Hey there, i was wondering if you knew the price for a informal wedding thru that company? And what it entailed.I am going to be there in Nov. and we still havent figured out where to do it at. Our orginal place booked another wedding the same day as ours.The husband did not tell the wife bla bla bla.

This was supposed to be in Costa maya.HELP.We are paying for our parents and grandparents to come along with our family of 5 so we cant spend to much.

• 3 months later...

Hey Kelly, I haven't been on cruise critic in quite sometime and just saw your post. Fiona from Something Special also planned our wedding. Everything was wonderful when it came to her part. The ship on the other hand lost our immigation papers and that was a total nightmare that we had to go to the Head Immigation Officers house to get them resigned and barely got back to Playa Uvas in time for our own wedding ceramony.... We will be crusing again in March of 2010 for our anniversary but needless to say were going on a different cruise line this time... From our experience with Fiona, she did everything and left me with nothing to worry about and the wedding ceramony was great. The background of all our pictures was absolutely beautiful. I started off with shoes but kicked them off pretty fast... Married in Cozumel barefoot was the greatest ever.... Let me know if you have any other questions... Kim

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats!

FYI- Cinco de Mayo isn't a holiday that Mexico celebrates. It's a US thing.

I thought that was the case, but the planner in Cozumel said we cannot marry on May 5 because it's a Mexican holiday. I had always been under the impression that it was a US thing and that they (Mexico) hated that we celebrated it. So I was surprised to hear that news from the planner.

• 3 years later...

My fiance and I are planning on getting married in Cozumel in May using Fiona Lomax as our wedding planner. I just want to make sure all is okay with her organization as we need to provide out personal information before our cruise. Thank you for any help you can provide.

• 6 years later...

Cool Cruiser, Did you get any responses? Did you end up using Fiona? We are plannng on using her this June for our wedding and I share the concerns you had.  I paid for my deposit but before we go any further, I want to double check.