Embarkation Timing?

balibeachboy

We are about to take our first cruise and are wondering about the best time to start lining up to board. Our boarding time is 1 p.m, with a departure time of 5 p.m. Based on what I've read in here, it seems that most people start lining up in the morning. But I'm wondering what the benefits of getting on the ship early are? Those who wait until the afternoon to embark seem to avoid the long lines.

What time would veteran cruisers recommend arriving at the port and why?

We like to arrive early. In Fort Lauderdale, we arrived about 10:30am & they began embarkation at exactly 11:30am. Reason: We like to have time to explore the ship before everyone arrives, get unpacked and rest before sailing out.

I think all the Princess cruises we have been on have had embarkation at noon. That's why most people arrive at 10:30 or 11:00 AM to be one of the first aboard. To have a 1:00 PM embarkation is a little unusual. Maybe they are gradually switching to that. Anyway, I would arrive about noon if you want to be one of the first onboard. It's fun to explore when there are very few people around. If you don't care about exploring and hate crowds, then plan to arrive about 2:00 PM. ;)

Archived