Help with beach and snorkeling

gregeol

DW and I will be in St. Croix on AOS and are looking for a place to lay on the beach (DW) and snorkel (me). I have read all of the posts but have gotten confusing information. I was considering Buck Island, but read several posts that say most of the coral is dead. Did that in St. Maarten and it was a waste of time and money. The other consideration is Cane Bay, but I have read that the current can be strong and the main attraction is for divers. I am an intermediate level snokeler, I've been several times, but by no means an expert:o. Can anyone who has been to St. Croix recently help clarify the confusion? Any other suggestions would also be welcomed> Thanks for the help.:D

The coral at Buck Island has experienced bleaching due to rising water temperatures, but you will still see large brain corals, and fans that are very interesting. At Buck Island you will also see plenty of fish, from colorful parrot fish to schools of barracuda to green sea turtles. The beach on Buck Island is fantastic and you will split your time between the snorkel trail on the east side of the island and the beach which is on the west. The snorkel trail is in open water, so you should be fine since you are an intermediate snorkeler. I see visitors every day in the shop where I work who have just returned from Buck Island excursions and they always rave about it. I think sometimes the people who don't like it and post negative comments on the boards have never snorkeled before and are afraid being in open water. The main thing to remember when snorkeling is to look forward. Some snorkelers who are novices tilt their heads down to look at fish and end up swallowing water. Buck Island is a very beautiful spot to visit while on St. Croix.

Regards from St. Croix,

Ellen

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the parking situation for a rental car at Cane Bay Beach?

Cane bay beach is nice. The snorkeling is good there and is close to the beach. Another place I would suggest is Carambola beach. We snorkel there and the beach is the most beautiful on the island!

• 1 month later...

Yes you can rent snorkeling equipment and lounge chairs and other things at the restaurant and dive shop across the road from the beach. The day we were there it was very busy and somewhat chaotic, but not too bad. There is also a beach bar and a girl who comes around and takes drink orders. We didn't eat at the restaurant because after quite a wait at our table no one ever came to wait on us.

Archived