Does your child travel with an MP3 player?

jerseygirl79

my 4 year old has an older iPod (hand me down when I got a new one) - and it is really easy to use!

as far as other mp3 players - my older one took one to camp and said he didn't like it -

you can find an mp3 player for around $50 (they might be cheaper now - haven't looked at prices lately)

We bought all the kids IPODs for Christmas. If you go to the Apple store online you can get refurbished IPODs for a discounted price. The older boys 11 & 8 both have a IPOD Nano so they can watch videos also. My daughter, 6, has a shuffle. We got the shuffle for around $49. The shuffle doesn't have a screen so she doesn't have to worry about selecting what song to play. We just put on her favorite songs so she is happy with whatever plays.

One thing to keep in mind with the younger kids is that the ear buds are sized for adults. Our daughter wasn't able to keep the ear buds in her ears. We were able to find her some kid sized ear buds that fit better. If you are worried about hearing problems caused by ear buds, you can also look into kid sized headphones. Another option is to use speakers or our kids also have stuffed animals that are speakers that they can play music on.

There is one called a shaker that is all the rage among my twin club. Made for younger kids with very easy to use controls and withstands some abuse. They get it on amazon.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

Thanks Mia...I saw the Shaker and wasn't too sure about it.

My kids got MP3 players for Christmas when DD was 4. They have the Sansa C250, and it has been a good product. I chose this over the ipod Shuffle because it has a screen to choose the desired song, and it's a bit bigger (hopefully, harder to lose). The kids had no problems learning to use the buttons, and they still use them every day. We loaded them with audio books (Junie B Jones, Nate the Great, etc.), and Kidz Bop albums, and they have made many trips with us.

What about some stories ? I thought about that also. My husband takes his audio readings when he is tired of looking at a book. Maybe the story can be read while he is reading it on his own...just a suggestion. I found an inexpensive mp3 player at Walmart ( $27.00) it's 2 gig and also has a radio ! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10574421

Sandy

This thread is a great opportunity to ask a question that has been on my mind: At what age is it ok for children to wear headphones (and by ok, I mean no risk of damage to developing eardrums). I have been under the impression that one shouldn't put headphones on young kids, but I think I simply read that somewhere so I don't know if it is myth or fact.

This thread is a great opportunity to ask a question that has been on my mind: At what age is it ok for children to wear headphones (and by ok, I mean no risk of damage to developing eardrums). I have been under the impression that one shouldn't put headphones on young kids, but I think I simply read that somewhere so I don't know if it is myth or fact.

You need to have your child use headphones unless you want them to drive you and others crazy when they play the same song 500 times. They make headphones for children where you can set the volume level and they can't adjust it. Do a search on Amazon.com and you'll pull them up.

My youngest children have iPod Nanos. They are great because they can watch movies and shows, listen to music or books. Very entertaining for them on long flights, etc. Well worth the money.

Archived