Likelihood of Talkeetna flightseeing cancellation?

adverb

I have a Talkeetna flightseeing (w/ glacier landing) tour planned w/ Talkeetna Air Taxi for Sept 11 @ 4 PM (what an ironic date to be on a plane).

Another Talkeetna tour I talked with, who did something totally different, warned me that it's very likely the weather will be bad and we won't go up in the plane. The flight company explained that we would get 100% of our money back if we didn't go up, but of course if I'm paying, I want to go.

Does this happen a lot that these flights get cancelled? Did anyone have their flight cancelled? I would hate to have that happen, but I understand weather is unpredicabtle.

It took us 3 trys over 5 days to make our McKinley Summit flight with Talkeetna Aero Services (pics at http://burnet60.smugmug.com.) We were scheduled from Talkeetna, but ended up flying out of Healey after a day in Denali and a day in Fairbanks. Rain one day and winds and clouds on the mountain another day cancelled the trip.

That late in the season I would say your chances of cancellation are extremely high. Alaska starts having serious weather by then. Of course that is when I prefer to be in Alaska.

Many years Denali is shutting down by that date.

Many tour operators have gone to Hawaii for the winter.

We struck out twice last year (July 2008). When we showed up at TAT the first day, they said flying conditions were safe but visibility wasn't good. Rather than going ahead like tours booked through the cruise lines, TAT wanted us to get a quality experience. We were headed up to Denali so re-booked for 2 days later on our trip back out to ANC.

On our way back we called TAT at the junction of the main highway and Talkeetna Spur. They said their entire fleet was grounded and volunteered they would credit back my CC. The credit was on our card by the time we got home from vacation.

Your flight will probably go better (hope so). My advice if you're headed to Denali or FAI is schedule on the way north, giving you a second chance on your way back south. Also, call the tour operator before you turn off the main highway (cell coverage is good at the junction). That will save you a 30 mile round trip....though I recommend visiting the town of Talkeetna. TAT is a class act and I recommend them even though our tour was cancelled. I've heard the other operators are just as good.

We also used the 2-for-1 coupon on a July flight. I was very concerned that we would lose our deposit since our Princess Train was very late getting to town. We called Talkeetna Air Taxi several times, and they assured us that if we needed to cancel for any reason we would not be charged.

Luck was on our side, they had a van ready for us at the depot, got us outfitted with boots, went over the safty information and off we went. Words could never describe that trip. I hope that the weather will be on your side, it was the highlight of our trip.

Our McKinley plane with glacier landing was scheduled for July 15th, but due to weather conditions it was cancelled. There were many wild fires and smoke at the time and also it was warm so the landing was unsafe. We got our money back, but it was a huge disappointment as that was one of the main reasons we went to Alaska.

However, we went to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and took a helicopter with glacier landing which helped make up for the other one.

We really had wanted to see Mt. McKinley up close but it was not to be.

My DH and I just decided that we were going to do a flight tour with TAT. We are going to Alaska in 2 weeks and will be staying at the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge for 3 days. I had planned on buying the TourSaver book when I get there. My question is, will it be too late to make the reservation with TAT and use the 2 for 1 coupon?

They only accept two coupons per day, so I would call ASAP. We booked in November for June. I thought that I had read on one of the past threads that they will give you 20% off with your coupon if they reach their coupon limit(2) on the BOGOF. It was the highlight of our trip!!

Yes, they are currently running a special for everybody that will give you 20% off any tour, as long as it includes a glacier landing.

When you book with the coupon, you are only limited to a time and tour that someone else has booked.

So, if you are limited on time, or very particular about what you want to do, the 20% off might be better than the the coupon.

Don't forget, you do have to buy the coupon book first, too, which adds money onto the savings. :)

Archived