Driving to Emerald Lake

SunShine Seekers

I would have been upset if I were turned away for missing the 1 hour pick up leeway, too, but that would have been our fault (even though I didn't remember reading it on the reservation). But to have cars on the lot and a valid reservation and a manager yelling in the background was not helpful. Fortunately my husband calmly took over and it worked out ok for us and the mechanically challenged Hylander. I have written a letter to Avis, wonder if we'll hear back from them!?

We just got back from our cruise. We rented a vehicle from Sourdough and had a great time driving to Emerald Lake. We were actually disappointed with Emerald Lake because it was so small...we even missed it!! The drive is spectacular though.

If you can get a reservation with Sourdough, I would do it through them. They told us to drive the dirt road - Dyea - to see the bears. We missed them but our dinner partners got to see them shortly after we had left the scene. There is also an old cemetery back on the dirt road too. Avis will not let you drive their vehicles on this dirt road.

We're glad we rented a vehicle instead of taking the train. We went right away in the morning, came back to town when we wanted to and after shopping, we sat in the hot tub!!

Family of 4, we will be in Skagway on 5/8/10. Looks like the Avis won't open until later in the month, White pass does not go to Yukon until later in the month. Only options seem to be the 3 hour white pass train or renting a car from sourdough. First time cruise to alaska. Any advice? is driving to emerald lake early may a bad idea?

Carnival Spirit 5/5/10

Thank you Yukon, for that link. Great pictures of what can be expected each month. Would the roads be that covered in snow? or are they plowed. How hair raising would the drive be in early May? Being from Florida, I have driven through hurricanes, but never snow.

Family of 4, we will be in Skagway on 5/8/10. Looks like the Avis won't open until later in the month, White pass does not go to Yukon until later in the month. Only options seem to be the 3 hour white pass train or renting a car from sourdough. First time cruise to alaska. Any advice? is driving to emerald lake early may a bad idea?

Try Chilkhoot tour. I emailed them a few weeks ago. They will have all of their tours running except the 9 hour Carcross tour.

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/

Archived