Mercury balcony, Alaska Cold?

tomcruiser1234

We left the door open all night to hear the ocean. It was never too cold, they coldest day we had was at the glacier, even then we wore lightweight jackets. But, you never know with weather, so check right before you go. Many times the weather will be in the low 70's with a bit of rain here and there.

If I had it to do over again, I would have taken my sandals for the at sea days, I would have left one pair of sneakers behind (took 2 just in case), I would have left the turtlenecks behind. You will more than likely need a good raincoat, take one with a zip out lining instead of a warm jacket + a raincoat. You are not going to Alaska in the winter, you are going in the summer....and you will love it.

We went Aug 20th of this year, and the weather was warm the entire time, during the day. Low 70's in every port including Seattle. We had balcony cabin 1201 on the Mercury and used the balcony every day, for hours on end. I only packed one pair of shorts, and needed at least three pair.

July and August are prime months for good weather. It can change but not that drastically.

It's a great itinerary and a beautiful scenic cruise you will have in August...

I'm jealous..

SDCruiser (Jeff)

We sailed another cruiseline to Alaska this past summer (August 4th 2004) and opted for a balcony! We often had it open during the day. My kids would go out on the balcony in the mornings in their summer jammies. At the glaciers they put their bathrobes on. It was awesome to be able to go out and see the wildlife and glaciers and not have to fight for space.

As for the weather, we had one of the warmest weeks on record! We had no rain at all (just a little mist in one port) and temps up to 76'! My kids lived in their swimsuits on the ship and in shorts off the ship - and my dd never once put on her tennis shoes!!!

Jen

tomcruiser1234..... The ship will provide lovely little throw blankets for you to use out on your balcony....aaahhhh just perfect!

They also provide them in abundance out on the open decks for all passengers!

And....they will sell really nice throw blankets in the ship's gift shop...with "Alaska" on them, etc... A very nice souvenir!

Don't worry....it will be superb!

Nancynurse ~

We did the Mercury to Alaska in June....just beautiful. Chilly sometimes....yes. A windsuit works great for the balcony chills!

Rain in ports.....a lined raincoat...works great for all throughout the trip.

The Mercury (June 03) was managed very, very well.... (exceptional)

..you will LOVE it!

Have Fun!

Tomcruiser, we will be on Mercury June 3rd.Thanks Boo'smom for the advise. Did you see a lot of rain? I spoke with an excursion group yesterday, and they said that they didn't have any of the dogsled excursions set for the first week in June due to the unpredictable weather. Was there still any snow on the mountains? This Florida girl would like to experience snow for once in her life...You never know! Maybe I will get lucky!

Hope everyone has a great night! Nancy

Nancy....

Gentle rain was pretty regular during that June 2003 trip. A friend of mine went about two weeks earlier than I....and had no rain the entire week.

July 2004....we sailed again in Alaska. Much warmer and with very little rain.

You have to be prepared for chilly weather and rain. Layers are best...as you can peel them off...or load them on.

I would not say that the rain hindered anything that we wanted to do/see. :D

Archived