Camp Carnival for 8 and 10 year olds

scrapulous

Hello,

We'll be bringing our 8 and 10 year olds with us. The Camp Carnival separates kids by age group, 6 - 8 together and 9 - 11 together. What if my two want to be together? Is that possible, or will they be required to stick to their own age group?

Thanks.

Hello,

We'll be bringing our 8 and 10 year olds with us. The Camp Carnival separates kids by age group, 6 - 8 together and 9 - 11 together. What if my two want to be together? Is that possible, or will they be required to stick to their own age group?

Thanks.

Sucks but they will have to part ways.

Seriously? I'm not a liar normally, but I don't see the harm in saying she's 9 so they can be together. She's taller than he is anyway, so no one would be the wiser. She will NOT be happy if she has to be away from her brother every time. Ugh.

Just thought of something. I'm guessing they'll know how old they are, because of course I had to give their birthdates to book. Yay.

I'm all about following rules normally. Heck, I won't even bring rum runners on board because outside alcohol isn't allowed, and I don't want to break the rules when it means I will be cheating them out of money. But this is in no way costing anyone anything, so I don't see why my two can't be together. I will seriously have a miserable time if my kids are unhappy. She doesn't really fit in with younger kids, since she hangs with her older brother all the time, by choice. They are truly best friends, inseparable.

Ugh. Double ugh. This is supposed to be fun for everyone.

You can leave them at home and they can play together.

They can avoid camp Carnival and be best friends on their own.

Or you can let them grow up and realize they are not the same age and will not always be allowed to be together.

(I imagine you are having a bigger breakdown over this than they will)

I wouldn't call it a break down, lol. I'm just disappointed, as I know they will be. Maybe it's unusual at their ages, but they really like being together. Of course they have their own friends and do their own things at times, but most days it's just the two of them, and they like it that way. I don't think that's a problem they need to "grow up" from. I think it's great that they are best friends, and I think if they want to be together on vacation they should be allowed to be. I wouldn't want to be separated from my husband, or my friend if I was traveling with a friend. What's the difference, just because they're kids?

Then I have another idea. Postpone your cruise until they can both be in the same group.

If groups are divided into men and women, you and your husband would be separated.

Or as I said before. They do not have to attend. No one is forcing them to separate. Only if they want to participate in the organized activities.

And I still think you are having a bigger problem with it than they will.

They will be separated by 2 yrs for their whole life. One will go to high school before the other. One will drive before the other. Being best friends is great, but until they are adults, they will not be able to always be together.

My kids are in the same situation and it would be a lot easier if they were together--mainly for my younger child. There is a comfort of being together.

But, overall they were fine! The good news is they did have some activities where both groups were combined--not a ton but at least a handful!

Your kids will have fun!

Seriously? I'm not a liar normally, but I don't see the harm in saying she's 9 so they can be together. She's taller than he is anyway, so no one would be the wiser. She will NOT be happy if she has to be away from her brother every time. Ugh.

well, for one-- they know how old she is because when you got on the ship you gave her birth certificate.

the 9-11 can sign themselves in and out of camp- they go on scavenger hunts during the week around the ship.

Your 10 year old could move down in the groups- but the younger kids can not be moved up.

I suggest letting the kids go that first night to meet all the kids sailing with them- your daughter will meet new friends. The kids in the camps have a gret time

You can leave them at home and they can play together.

They can avoid camp Carnival and be best friends on their own.

Or you can let them grow up and realize they are not the same age and will not always be allowed to be together.

(I imagine you are having a bigger breakdown over this than they will)

Then I have another idea. Postpone your cruise until they can both be in the same group.

If groups are divided into men and women, you and your husband would be separated.

Or as I said before. They do not have to attend. No one is forcing them to separate. Only if they want to participate in the organized activities.

And I still think you are having a bigger problem with it than they will.

They will be separated by 2 yrs for their whole life. One will go to high school before the other. One will drive before the other. Being best friends is great, but until they are adults, they will not be able to always be together.

Skylock - Sorry, but I don't think that your answers are very helpful. Actually, to me they appear to be a bit insensitive. Sorry, just my opinion. When kids are on a cruise with thousands of people that they don't know, including no other friends, it's completely understandable that their kids want to be together.

Scrapulous - I've heard that Camp Carnival will make exceptions on occasion. I would ask and tell them that your 8yr old is almost 9. That will help make the determination.

The real answer is it "it depends." How close is your 8 yo to being 9? If they are within 3 months, and the cruise is not crowded with kids, and the counselors are willing to accomodate, they might let the 9 yo move up - I have read on many threads here that this has been done, but it is by no means a guarantee. Also, it might be more likely that they would let the 10 yo go down with the 6-8 group; the 9-11 can have sign out privileges and do things in groups around the ship without counselors, such as scavenger hunts.

Bottom line - it never hurts to ask, but keep in mind that their policy is clear and they can enforce it should they chose to do so.

And yes, CCL does know the kids birthdays and make staffing arrangements accordingly. You won't be able to sneak the 8 year old by as 9.

I just want to let you know that I understand your kids relationship. My 8yoDS & soon to be 10yoDD are very close. They have always been. I think they would *love* to be in Camp Carnival together. It probably would be more fun for them this way.

However, my DD has told me she's very excited for CC. I was kinda surprised, seeing as she's not really the jump in there and do things on her own kinda girl. I think she loves the idea that she's older and gets more priveledges and activities.

I'm totally prepared to have them with DH and I the entire cruise. It is a family vacation afterall. But I still hope they'll enjoy CC even if they're apart.

Also, it might be more likely that they would let the 10 yo go down with the 6-8 group; the 9-11 can have sign out privileges and do things in groups around the ship without counselors, such as scavenger hunts.

You can choose whether or not your 9-11 yr olds have sign-out priviledges. We go and our son will be 10 for this cruise and was 9 for the last one...no way he will be able to sign himself out!ld by as 9.

but like the others have said...doesn't hurt to ask...the decision is totally up to the director of the camp...

Hello,

Thanks.

When is it that you'll be going???

It really depends on how many kids are in camp that week. Normally they

will not allow it. You can ask the camp director. Its up to her if they will

allow it. But you kids will have fun it his/her own camp. Our kids are now 10

and 12 and loved camp at that age. While the enjoy each other they also

enjoyed doing their own things in camp.

Your child age will be on her list based on her birth cert you gave the cruise

line to get boarded.

We just returned from the July 27-31 Imagination. We had DD 8 and DS 4 in CC for a bit. While signing them up, there was a family with an 8yr old-soon to be 9 in about 2 weeks, and a 10 yr old. Mum asked if the almost 9 yr old could be with his brother. The camp counsellor said no. Reason was that if they did it for them, they would have to do it for everyone who was "almost" the next age group up. Honestly, it would only be for a few hours a day right? (Our 2 were in it for about 1 1/2 hrs a day) and I think they would be fine. In school they are not in the same classes right? They will get over it, once they make some new little friends.

There will be times when the age groups will be together. If there aren't too many kids they combine for more activities any way - guesses are the 10 year old will not want to do the younger activities. The older group will be doing activities that usually not as appropriate for younger ones no matter how tall. My sisters were twins so the same age but when my mom said she had twins most assumed one girl and my brother were the twins even though he was two years older because the girls looked nothing alike and one was taller. Just because she was taller did not mean she had the maturity to deal the same issues. Sure hanging out with her brother who was 2 years older was okay but he would have been with kids also 2 years older so should she have been with kids 4 years older?

That said - the kids will have a great time! My son loves going to Camp Carnival. That's why we cruise so he can go do his own stuff - at least that is why he likes it - gives him some freedom and we can then have our time off the ship and before and after we get on.

Check out carnivals children activity examples. You will see the differences in age group activities. As there are lots of other threads about this. When you click on this link you will see Capers for different ages.

http://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/Camp%20Carnival.html

Thanks everyone. I was away from the computer all day, so I just saw all these responses.

I will ask if they can be together, and see what happens. I really don't want my 10 year old to have sign out privileges, nor do I want him going off with other kids I don't know without a counselor. So he may end up in the younger group, anyway, at least part of the time. And they will be with us most of the time, so it may all work out just fine. I'm sure they'll have fun either way, but they would really prefer to be together. I'm sure it won't always be like that, once they're teenagers, but for now, I love their relationship.

We are sailing on the Ecstasy on 8/17 out of Galveston. 10 days left!! I'm super excited! And it will be a surprise trip for the kids. They love to watch the ships leave the Pier, so they will be so excited to be on one! Can't wait to see their faces.

Just thought of something. I'm guessing they'll know how old they are, because of course I had to give their birthdates to book. Yay.

I'm all about following rules normally. Heck, I won't even bring rum runners on board because outside alcohol isn't allowed, and I don't want to break the rules when it means I will be cheating them out of money. But this is in no way costing anyone anything, so I don't see why my two can't be together. I will seriously have a miserable time if my kids are unhappy. She doesn't really fit in with younger kids, since she hangs with her older brother all the time, by choice. They are truly best friends, inseparable.

Ugh. Double ugh. This is supposed to be fun for everyone.

Are they in the same class at school? probably not... They may have some activities together but I think there may be some ratio of adults to children defined by age groups. And mark my words, they will know how old each child is from the ship's manifest

My boys are best friends...only 19 months apart. They enjoy each other's company. On our first cruise, they were 4 and 6. (RCCL) They were not together. This was difficult because WE were leaving them, AND they were separated. But like someone else mentioned...the groups were brought together at times. We are getting ready to go on another cruise. This time they are 11 and 9. It will work out perfectly for them to be together this time and they are thrilled. They are very shy and having each other will make it more fun for them. So...I just wanted you to know that I understand where you are coming from. Sure, they'll survive if separated but they would have more fun together!

Archived