How long does it take to get from King's Wharf to St. George? Is it worth it?

minniemom2009

I think I've read that you can take either a bus or ferry from King's Wharf to St. George. If that's the case, how long would each of these take? I'm assuming the ferry would be the fastest.

We'll be on Explorer of the Seas this September. With that itinerary, we have all day one day and until 5 PM the next, so we'll have a good bit of time on the island. We really want to walk along some beaches and get some snorkeling in, but if we'll have the extra time and if there's some things worth seeing at St. George I'd like to try to get over there too. Thanks!

We've visited Bermuda 9 or 10 times, and we love St. George. Quieter than Hamilton, not as touristy (IMO) as Dockyard. Check out the St. George Historical Society exhibit and take their walking tour. Have lunch at the White Horse Tavern or anothe rof the restaurants on the waterfront. There are a couple of intereting museums (Tucker House and the Civil War Museum - Yes the US Civil war: an interesting perspective). It's fun just to walk around and explore. The ferry from Dockyard to St. George is faster than the bus, but the last ferry returning leaves around 4 PM. If you get the transit day pass (about $12) it's good for the ferries and bus. The bus runs much later than the ferry, and it's interesting to return via the bus to take in the sights from one end of the island to the other.

The ferry would be much quicker than the bus. It would take two buses from the Dockyards to St. Georges (transfer at Hamilton). Travel time by bus would be about two hours or more depending on the time of day. Less than half that time by ferry. While some find St. Georges interesting we find it kind of boring. Not much to do there. I guess for a first timer its worth visiting once. Its all a matter of personal opinion.

IMO it is well worth it. St. Peters Church (walk around the cemetery), the noon "dunking ceremony" exhibition, the Perfumery (ask for a tour), the Unfinished Church is interesting, town hall exhibits, and Fort St. Catherine has a nice self tour. Tobacco Bay has good snorkeling too. Very quaint and historic as opposed to the bigger city of Hamilton. There are also some smaller museums to pick and choose from...I still haven't seen them all. I think it also depends on your interests...we are not huge beach people...a couple of hours is enough. Would rather see the sights.

To us it is absolutely worth it, St. George's is our favorite town on Bermuda. It is a short walk to Tobacco Bay, awesome snorkeling and great beach. Beach does get crowded we go early before the crowds arrive. I think if you go it will be worth it, Hamilton is doing lots of renovating and many shops are closed down, it is not as historic or quaint as St. George's, but whatever you choose you are in Bermuda so have a great cruise, we leave tom. am on the Dawn to Bermuda we will have 3 full days to explore the island. :p Happy Cruising.

I agree with everyone's positive assessments of St.George and would like to add another. The Town Cut at Gates Fort is an amazing sight to see and imagine a ship going through such a small opening. There is no margin for error and when actually going through it, you feel like you can almost touch the trees.:cool:

• 1 month later...

I love St George too and would add you check out a little garden / park called Somers Garden. I think the flowers are best in spring, but it's also a quiet space to take a break. Maybe a good place to seek out after you walk back from Tobacco Bay beach.

Archived