Daily Mass

Kschn3671

I think this is a bugled question. Non-practicing may mean not going to church while believing in a God.

Atheism is something totally different.

If you say so........
The bugle is one of the simplest brass instruments, having no valves or other pitch-altering devices. All pitch control is done by varying the player's embouchure, since the bugle has no other mechanism for controlling pitch. Consequently, the bugle is limited to notes within the harmonic series. See bugle call for scores to standard bugle calls, which all consist of only five notes.
I guess I was trying to blow my own horn. ;)

Wouldn't it be more interesting to attend mass in Brugges & St. Petersburg than on the ship? It's an opportunity to mingle with the locals.

Yes, but...

In Brugges we are only in port from 8:30 am to 3pm so our limited sightseeing time will be reduced with our Mass obligation. However, the church houses a Michaelangelo sculpture that is on our list of must-sees.

In St. P-burg, we will have to make arrangements with our private guide to be able to attend 7pm Mass and this may interfere with any evening activity such as the folkloric show.

In both cases, we will have difficulty following the service as we don't speak Flemish or Russian.

However, one does what one believes one must!

I am a Caholic Priest. However, I have never served on Celebrity although I have had it in the back of my mind to do this when I retire which will be in a few years. I have served for a long time on the Holland America Line. People always ask me about what Lines offer Mass on Sunday and I say Holland America Line and Celebrity Line. Now of course I will say Holland America Line. Those of you who are loyal to Celebrity and want this service, why not ferverently pray that the Service comes back to Celebrity. Prayer is powerful.

I am a Caholic Priest. However, I have never served on Celebrity although I have had it in the back of my mind to do this when I retire which will be in a few years. I have served for a long time on the Holland America Line. People always ask me about what Lines offer Mass on Sunday and I say Holland America Line and Celebrity Line. Now of course I will say Holland America Line. Those of you who are loyal to Celebrity and want this service, why not ferverently pray that the Service comes back to Celebrity. Prayer is powerful.

As a Catholic priest, can I ask if you think it was fair or equal of Celebrity to only have offered a Catholic priest aboard every ship on every cruise? Do you feel that you can meet the needs of every other religion but a priest from any other religion couldn't meet the needs of a Catholic?

I'm not trying to argue, I really am curious about your opinion as you are certainly more of an expert then anyone else posting, myself most certainly included.

Holiday Catholic Mass: A Roman Catholic Priest will conduct services daily during Lent and on Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.In-Port Catholic MassWhere available, the ship will make arrangements with a local parish to provide a priest for Saturday or Sunday Catholic Mass (applicable only to ships while in port). Please check with the Guest Relations Desk or the Groups Bulletin Board onboard for more information.

Holy Land Voyage Catholic MassA Roman Catholic Priest will conduct Catholic and Interdenominational services daily during each Holy Land voyage.

Jewish ServicesA Jewish Rabbi or Cantor will conduct services during Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Hanukkah.

Holiday Protestant ServicesA Protestant Minister will conduct daily services during Lent and on Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

Holiday Interdenominational ServicesA Protestant Minister will conduct daily services during Lent and on Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

This is the new policy.

Thanks for posting this information Dabu17. This information is what Celebrity has actually now posted on its website. Clearly, the initial rumors (of no priests onboard) were not accurate and may have caused needless concern.

All during Lent and on Christmas, there will be a priest (and protestant minister) onboard and daily mass (and services). There will also be a priest onboard and daily mass on all Holy Land cruises. And the ship will make arrangements with a local parish for Saturday or Sunday mass whenever possible in port. Rabbi or cantor for services on high holidays, Passover, and Hanukkah.

We are praying Father, along with sending a few emails to the Celebrity office. Hopefully, Celebrity reads these posts and realizes that they have erred. Thanks for your contribution so others may understand our concern and reasoning.

Prayer is an excellent recommendation!:)

I also like the idea of writing to Celebrity about the issue.

Just an FYI: they're discussing onboard Masses on the Holland America board, too.

Basically, it sounds like they're really glad HAL didn't do what Celebrity did.

Interestingly, there's not one single dissenting post.

I hope you meant this "tongue in cheek". I know a lot more of us Catholics from your and my home state who are BUCKEYE fans first and always!

Oh yes, we are Buckeye fans (and OSU grads) but there is a large contingent of ND fans around here as well (Dublin, OH - get it :rolleyes:). Especially during the Brady Quinn days (at ND, not with the Browns :eek:).

I have been off the boards for a few hours and was not able to answer your question.

However, only A Catholic Priest or and Orthodox Priest or I believe a Polish National Priest have valid Orders and can confect the Eucharist. So, there is something a Catholic Priest can do that a minister cannot do and that is Confect the Eucharist, Give Sacramental Absolution and Sacramental Annointing of the Sick. I think these are services a Catholic Looks for and that is why many have opted to sail with Holland America and Celebrity Cruise Line. I personally think it would be great if they would bring a Protestant Minister on each cruise although when I have done Christian Ecumenical Services after Mass on many seven day cruises, I have been very well recieved by my non Catholic Brothers and Sisters.

I must tell you I have done cruises from ten to seventeen days on HAL and I have always enjoyed the company of ministers when traveling. We have gotten along very well and I am always glad when they are there to take care of the needs of thier people.

I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction.

Here is a link to what the Padre is talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacraments_of_the_Catholic_Church

At the very end is a list of Ordinary and Extraordinary Ministers of the Sacrements.

Its actually very informative on the do's/don'ts so to speak. Read who can Minister baptism for example.

I have been off the boards for a few hours and was not able to answer your question.

However, only A Catholic Priest or and Orthodox Priest or I believe a Polish National Priest have valid Orders and can confect the Eucharist. So, there is something a Catholic Priest can do that a minister cannot do and that is Confect the Eucharist, Give Sacramental Absolution and Sacramental Annointing of the Sick. I think these are services a Catholic Looks for and that is why many have opted to sail with Holland America and Celebrity Cruise Line. I personally think it would be great if they would bring a Protestant Minister on each cruise although when I have done Christian Ecumenical Services after Mass on many seven day cruises, I have been very well recieved by my non Catholic Brothers and Sisters.

I must tell you I have done cruises from ten to seventeen days on HAL and I have always enjoyed the company of ministers when traveling. We have gotten along very well and I am always glad when they are there to take care of the needs of thier people.

I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction.

Question: How is the cruise line to address all other faiths in equity for their guests or for their crew? You have spoken of only two, what of all the others that cannot fall under an umbrella?

The bottom line:

Celebrity made a mistake in not giving fair notice.

I can understand that pax who are losing a service that they enjoyed for many years are very disappointed.

I am sure that before making this decision, the people at Celebrity gave it much thought and weighed it and analyzed it fully. Therefore, I doubt that letters of complaint will have much effect.

However, there must be travel agents who can organize cruises with priests and charge a fee to those who are interested.

What comes to mind are the Kosher cruises that are offered on particular sailings. To partake, one has to pay for this.

For every problem, there is a solution.

Question: How is the cruise line to address all other faiths in equity for their guests or for their crew? You have spoken of only two, what of all the others that cannot fall under an umbrella?

I think you missed the point and I'm not faulting you for it.

What the Padre was saying was these Sacrements can only be delivered by Catholic ministry as described in the link I posted. Those priests can head ecumincal services and provide comfort in the case of death/tragedy. Of course, those ordained (or not) of other religions can perform the latter, but they cannot perform the Sacrements.

Also, the three Sacrements that I will simply list as "Eucharist", "Penance", "Anointing of the Sick" are the "Last Rites". Big misunderstanding (probably from Fr. Malcahly character on M*A*S*H) that you have to be shot dead on a battlefield to be anointed before dying. All 3 of these require that a Catholic Priest perform the ceremony. If I was gravely ill I'd sure like to have that ticket punched before getting on the subway so too speak no matter what my faith.

I think you missed the point and I'm not faulting you for it.

What the Padre was saying was these Sacrements can only be delivered by Catholic ministry as described in the link I posted. Those priests can head ecumincal services and provide comfort in the case of death/tragedy. Of course, those ordained (or not) of other religions can perform the latter, but they cannot perform the Sacrements.

Also, the three Sacrements that I will simply list as "Eucharist", "Penance", "Anointing of the Sick" are the "Last Rites". Big misunderstanding (probably from Fr. Malcahly character on M*A*S*H) that you have to be shot dead on a battlefield to be anointed before dying. All 3 of these require that a Catholic Priest perform the ceremony. If I was gravely ill I'd sure like to have that ticket punched before getting on the subway so too speak no matter what my faith.

I didn't miss anything. I read what you linked and I read what was said. I doubt we need to worry about baptism. We may need to worry about last rites, but then on a highway while driving do we get last rights? I don't think it in the order of magnitude its relevant to behold two religions only as well.

What about the Jews? What about the Buddhists? What about the others? Don't we hand-hold our faith every day we wake? Every time we cross a street? Every time we get into a vehicle? Every time we fly in the air? If we live our life in fear we are doomed to be afraid.

What about the Jews? What about the others, why is it OK for so many to recognize so few. Shall we call it what it is? Ignorance? Prejudice?

I've been following this interesting discussion, and none of you are entirely right...or wrong. I have always lived my life believing that if a person wants to pray to a ukelele...have at it. If that gives that person a purpose and a reason to get up in the morning, then they have found something substantial.

Having been raised Jewish, we were taught that there are degrees of observant traditions. Reform, Conservative and Orthodox. One can very observant for a period of years, and then (if they so choose) sit back and reflect on their life.

I like that I was taught tolerance. Tolerance of all religions, sexual preferences, and the freedom to choose.

Cruising for me is all about relaxation and fun. I get away from my daily rituals..whether spiritual or work related. It's my "time-out".

I had never given much thought as to whether clergy were onboard or not. But if that is what helps people get through their daily lives, then (excuse the pun)...whatever floats your boat.

I've been following this interesting discussion, and none of you are entirely right...or wrong. I have always lived my life believing that if a person wants to pray to a ukelele...have at it. If that gives that person a purpose and a reason to get up in the morning, then they have found something substantial.

Having been raised Jewish, we were taught that there are degrees of observant traditions. Reform, Conservative and Orthodox. One can very observant for a period of years, and then (if they so choose) sit back and reflect on their life.

I like that I was taught tolerance. Tolerance of all religions, sexual preferences, and the freedom to choose.

Cruising for me is all about relaxation and fun. I get away from my daily rituals..whether spiritual or work related. It's my "time-out".

I had never given much thought as to whether clergy were onboard or not. But if that is what helps people get through their daily lives, then (excuse the pun)...whatever floats your boat.

Karyn -- I echo the sentiments to they extent there are intentions that include tolerance for others.

Some religions require an exclusion of anything that interferes with devout practice and I get that. What i don't get is religions that chastize others practice and devotion.

FWIW, I came from a Catholic Father who married a Lutheran mother whose daughter (me) married a Methodist man. I studied after marriage and childbirth under the Church of Ever Increasing Faith and I can't enter any church for services without being so overwhelmed by the spirtitulaism.

We live in a highly diversified community. Jewish, from Reform to Orthodox to Hasidic Communities and Black with a historical background that insisted no access to school entry unless you have credentials to enter a certain door. We made national news for years due to police bullets entering onto the back of young black man running from the scene of a crime.

I am of a German dissent with a last name that ended in only one 'n' with one parent and two with another, and I went to HS school in a city that was highly Jewish that 'hated' anyone German as a result of the ****s.

I think I have had some idea of what this is all about, and I think that there are plenty who don't.

I am so Lucky and Blessed to be the product of my environments. I have clients who find no barriers, and some who cannot shake the hand of a woman that clearly want to.

I have saved lives of those whose consideration of religion or color made no difference and my husband has been able to do so too, and my children have been able to save lives as well.

Do we think we are Blessed. The answer is a definite yes.

I didn't miss anything. I read what you linked and I read what was said. I doubt we need to worry about baptism. We may need to worry about last rites, but then on a highway while driving do we get last rights? I don't think it in the order of magnitude its relevant to behold two religions only as well.

What about the Jews? What about the Buddhists? What about the others? Don't we hand-hold our faith every day we wake? Every time we cross a street? Every time we get into a vehicle? Every time we fly in the air? If we live our life in fear we are doomed to be afraid.

What about the Jews? What about the others, why is it OK for so many to recognize so few. Shall we call it what it is? Ignorance? Prejudice?

FinelyCruising - you make a good point. I would encourage all Jews and Buddhists who wish to have a service while on a cruise to contact whatever cruisline they are sailing and request / organize services. They should definitely advocate for themselves. I doubt any Catholic on this board would discourage them from doing so.

Actually the Muslim, Jewish and Christain faiths have common history that interweve during the early days. Scholars and leaders of these faiths recogonize this vs. the ignorant and preducial. If there is ever going to be a resolution in the mideast all three are going to have to come together.

About Buddhists? They don't require the "care and upkeep" that other religions have, its a belief that is very individual, no leaders required.

I have provided you with why only Priests can provide for both Catholics and non-Catholics (vs. the opposite). Your reponse indicates that you really don't care and having no religious members on-board is your preference. Fine, but don't allow your rhetoric to go to "ignorance and prejudgice" unless it's self-descriptive.

I had hoped this would have been a better discussion of the facts of this than another thread that has been poisened and seemely between friends.

Guess I was wrong :(.

This thread is closed as a result of a large number of intemperate posts having to be removed.

The subject of the apparent elimination of Catholic Mass on board is a fair subject, but posts taking issue with Catholicism, Islam or religion in general have no place on Cruise Critic.

Archived