UK credit cards for shipboard account

_firstcruise_

Can anyone who has used a UK credit card for their shipboard account give me any insight as to how this works ie. are they any extra charges from UK banks to do this? Also, do they charge the card in USD? I have an AMEX card but I have never used it abroad!

Thanks,

Jenny

PS Am cruising in Alaska on Sapphire Princess on 5th Sept.

We have used a Nationwide credit card. They don't charge a conversion fee. We had to tell the boarding staff that we wanted the credit card company to do the conversion. If you don't then the cruise line will convert it for you and from other posts they charge you.

Most other cards charge you a conversion fee.

You could also try ringing princess up as to whether you can pre load your on board credit and what rate they will give you. We managed to get 2 Dollars to the pound. It can be a bit hit and miss as some people haven't got that rate. Some people are being told that it is down to what the exchange rate was when you booked.

I don't know whether your AMEX card will charge you a fee, but with the Natiowide Credit or Debit card they don't.

rmtman :)

Thanks for your reply. We have put some OBC on at that good rate (2$ £1) but we've gone for the minimum we think we'll spend so that we don't have any left over. There will probably be extras for a few more drinks etc so I will put my card on but am not sure how it will work. Maybe I'll just ask the bank and then ring Princess to make sure they don't do the conversions.

:)

Thanks for your reply. We have put some OBC on at that good rate (2$ £1) but we've gone for the minimum we think we'll spend so that we don't have any left over. There will probably be extras for a few more drinks etc so I will put my card on but am not sure how it will work. Maybe I'll just ask the bank and then ring Princess to make sure they don't do the conversions.

Just make sure you go to the pursers desk the night before you disembark, close your account up to that point and ensure that they charge your Amex in US$. I always use my Amex and have never had the problems that others in the UK have had with other bank cards being converted at a rediculous rate by Princess.

Just make sure you go to the pursers desk the night before you disembark, close your account up to that point and ensure that they charge your Amex in US$. I always use my Amex and have never had the problems that others in the UK have had with other bank cards being converted at a rediculous rate by Princess.

Thanks, I'll do that. Do you register your card before you go, on the cruise personaliser?

Thanks, I'll do that. Do you register your card before you go, on the cruise personaliser?

Yes I do and then I've always had to present it again at check-in too so as they can verify it with what you have pre-registered.

The boarding pass that you print out from the personalizer (at least in the USA) has a box to check if you do not want the ship to convert the US$ charges into your currancy.

Check the box. Highlight it and circle it. Make a copy of the form to have proof that you requested no conversion.

Verify at the purser's desk near the start of the cruise that they know you do not want it converted.

As the previous poster indicated, check at the purser's desk the last evening also.

Bad news for Nationwide Credit Card holders, you will now if charged is you use this card outside of Europe!

The Post Office currently offer a Platinum Card which does not charge.

I've just swaped from Nationwide to the Post Office for our up coming cruise in October with Princess.

regards,

Sonic.

Hi firstcruise

We purchased OBC (2$ to £1) for our cruise last month. Pursers desk will refund any money you don't spend (in dollars) on last night of cruise, so its worthwhile to buy OBC at this rate & not use debit/credit card. We used it for everything: gratuities, tours, shopping, (duty free fragrance/beauty etc really good buy).:D We had some left by last day & used it to give extra cash tips. Believe you can purchase OBC until week before cruise

Have fun

Anyport

Hi,

Ive just spoken to Princess and they are only offering 1.43 exchange rate.The dollar is higher now than last month. Has anyone else been offered a better rate recently?

Sarah

Hi

Exchange rate offered depends on rate prevailing when booking was made. $2 to £1 was only available to those booking before Aug/Sept last year.

Thanks, have just printed the boarding passes and seen the box so have ticked the No, don't convert box and I'll keep checking that this is the case. Will keep fingers crossed!

Thanks so much for you help

Jenny x

Another thing we have done with success is use a HIGHLIGHTER to highlight the tick and wording, has always worked for us and I use a UK British Airways Amex card.

Do not rely on ticking the box .........go to Pursers desk the night before disembarkation and INSIST they Manually swipe your card with the US Dollar amount

Get a Nationwide CC because they convert at Commercial Rate and their fee is 1.5% max

Do not on any account leave Princess to deal with the charge because whatever they say or promise do not believe them

Archived