Identifying luggage

jerseygirl79

When we sail in Nov, it will be the first time a group of my family members will be flying together.

I have very distinct luggage, however every one else has black bags.

What do you do to make your luggage more recognizable? I see they have some really nice luggage wraps, but they seem pricey. Perhaps I'll try to make some.

Ideas?

mommy made us bright orange wool pompoms that we attached......they are big, fat and fluffy............and we can spot our stuff MILES away (ok, well MANY feet away)....

we used to have black luggage, now it's a goldish color, and they work fine...........

just buy a ball of wool and go for it...(not that either of us can remember how she made them, cause if she did, i would be selling them!!!!:D:D:D)

Hi! What I've done in the past is to get some type of cheap material and cut it into strips, something very colorful and easy to recognize and then tie a strip on each piece of my luggage. When I used to travel all the time for business it made spotting my suitcase (also black) a lot easier. I plan to do the same thing for my upcoming cruise.

mommy made us bright orange wool pompoms that we attached......they are big, fat and fluffy............and we can spot our stuff MILES away (ok, well MANY feet away)....

we used to have black luggage, now it's a goldish color, and they work fine...........

just buy a ball of wool and go for it...(not that either of us can remember how she made them, cause if she did, i would be selling them!!!!:D:D:D)

What a nice mom!!! I could try that, but I'd be afraid of it getting caught on something.

Hi! What I've done in the past is to get some type of cheap material and cut it into strips, something very colorful and easy to recognize and then tie a strip on each piece of my luggage. When I used to travel all the time for business it made spotting my suitcase (also black) a lot easier. I plan to do the same thing for my upcoming cruise.

Good idea. You can find all kinds of unique fabric prints at say Walmart.

The Cruise Critic store has some neat luggage spotters:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=31

They velcro around the bag grips and make your luggage stand out pretty darn well!

I've got one for each of my bags. They cushion the grips, too...

:)

These are really reasonable. I wish they came in brighter colors!

I have gold ribbon on the handle of my red luggage. Almost as many people have red luggage as they do black, blue or brown. I also have a Disney luggage tag from where we went several years ago. It is a rectangled shaped luggage tag but it is 3-D looking. I have seen many people start to pick up my luggage at the airport then when they see the disney tag they stop.

I actually like the distinct luggage. I bought a set of purple with turtles on the luggage several years ago. However, the second time I used the largerst bag, the airline destroyed the bag. Now I do not use it at all. My daughter likes the 3 smaller pieces and uses them.

I have a friend who has a great set of brown luggage and she purchased some nice wide ribbon and used fabric glue to attach the ribbon on the sides. It makes the brown luggage very classy looking. A bit more upscale. The ribbon she used is a really nice ribbon nothing cheap looking.

My DD did just buy some zebra strip luggage trimmed in pink. BTW she is 16. She likes it and I am sure it will be easy to find.

Strips of neon colored duct tape works well.

I actually repaired a tear in my luggage w/ duct tape and realized how recognizable it would make my black luggage that looks just like everyone elses. So.....great big x's in duct tape went all over my luggage. Now I have burgandy but will probably do the same thing next year when we fly. It's amazing how many people will pick up a black bag assuming it is theirs and walk off. Definitely tell your family to mark it somehow. Mine may be tacky w/ the x's, but....I doubt anyone would try to steal them:D

How about this------

Like bright pink isn't unusual enough?

DD's took these on a four week tour.

They could see these a mile away:D

ETA: Bummer the pix didn't take-- Their luggae is BRIGHT neon pink. Then they had an artist friend paint on them. No one would touch that luggage.

How about this------

Like bright pink isn't unusual enough?

DD's took these on a four week tour.

They could see these a mile away:D

ETA: Bummer the pix didn't take-- Their luggae is BRIGHT neon pink. Then they had an artist friend paint on them. No one would touch that luggage.

Oh I would love to see that.

My grandmother would put fingernail polish on her bags. I would go out & buy some bright neon colored luggage tags so that I can identify mine. I usually get them at walmart. Bed Bath and Beyond has some nice ones that say "This is not your black bag." Lol I plan on purchasing some.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=15889357

We gotta find something new for our luggage. Burgandy with bright orange surveyers tape. You'd think it was safe, but I about got arrested trying to get my bag from a little old lady who had done the same thing to her luggage. :eek: She just could not believe I had thought of the same thing. It wasn't my fault that she didn't notice my name and phone number in big black letters on the tape. :confused:

PLEASE make sure it's yours before you leave, even if you've marked it!

Duct tape..or neon reflective tape..around the handles or in a stripe.

Ribbons, Pom Poms, etc...are dangley bits that can get caught in conveyor belts. And if it doesn't rip off...the luggage is taken off the belt the flow of loading is stopped and your luggage and doesn't go with the 'herd'; Greater risk of it being lost, and a higher probability of a worker getting really pissed at your luggage and treating accordingly.

I have a black one with wheels like everyone else in the country so I painted red and white roses on the front and a single rose on the back...this way when they throw it upside down on the baggage belt I can still find it :)

I put a large strip of duct tape on the front & back and then in extra-thick black marker wrote our last name on the duct tape. I used the reg. silver kind but now that someone mentioned the neon, I'm going to get that for my cruise on Friday.

Archived