Rental car in Kona

Eno

Renting cars from Thrifty in Maui, Hilo and Kauai. Tried dollar in Kona but they are only open 8 am - noon - want the car longer than that. Thrifty

isn't coming up with anything at that location - anyone use enterprise?

Would rather not have to rent from one at the airport as have to take a taxi to the airport for all other rentals - no shuttle

• Administrators
Renting cars from Thrifty in Maui, Hilo and Kauai. Tried dollar in Kona but they are only open 8 am - noon - want the car longer than that. Thrifty

Would rather not have to rent from one at the airport as have to take a taxi to the airport for all other rentals - no shuttle

You can return the car after they close at the King Kamehaha location -- folks here regularly do. They use a drop box system. You might want to call them directly (not the nationwide number) for details.

Dollar and Thrifty are combined there. You just get your car at the hotel and return it to the hotel no matter what time. They don't have to be there. You don't want to get one somewhere else. King Kam Hotel is just steps from the pier.

I also tried to rent directly from the King Kamehameha Hotel location in Kona, with no luck. I called them three times today, during their 8am-12 pm hours of operation and did not get an answer. So, resorted to calling the national number and was informed that they were only open until noon. When I told the salesperson about the drop box, she put me on hold and came back several times, telling me that she was still trying to reach the local office. Finally, came back on to tell me that there is not a drop box and that the car must be returned by noon. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a rental spot specifically for cruise customers. First time trying to rent Thrifty/Dollar and may be the last.

I also tried to rent directly from the King Kamehameha Hotel location in Kona, with no luck. I called them three times today, during their 8am-12 pm hours of operation and did not get an answer. So, resorted to calling the national number and was informed that they were only open until noon. When I told the salesperson about the drop box, she put me on hold and came back several times, telling me that she was still trying to reach the local office. Finally, came back on to tell me that there is not a drop box and that the car must be returned by noon. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a rental spot specifically for cruise customers. First time trying to rent Thrifty/Dollar and may be the last.

Hundreds of people do it every week but you can always take a cab to the airport -rent one there and then when you come back to drop off take a cab back to the ship.

The people at the thrifty number you called are wrong. No one probably knew, so they gave you wha they thought. The drop box is alive and well, and we used it. Just make sure you leave as much gas in the car as whyen you first got it. They will charge your account extra for that gas.

The rep at the national call center was wrong. There is a drop box and there is a special parking lot behind the hotel for rental car returns.

What you need to do to arrange the rental online is put in a 24 hour period (e.g., 8 am to 8 am), even though you'll be returning it early. There is no penalty for early returns.

If you opt to rent from Enterprise, it's about 1 mile from the tender pier. I do not know if they send shuttles to the pier.

If you opt to rent from the airport locations, you can plan on taking a taxi to and from (at least $30 each way) because it's 20 to 30 minutes by shuttle from the pier to the airport and most rental companies will not send shuttles that far due to costs of fuel, time, personnel, etc.

beachchick

The rep at the national call center was wrong. There is a drop box and there is a special parking lot behind the hotel for rental car returns.

What you need to do to arrange the rental online is put in a 24 hour period (e.g., 8 am to 8 am), even though you'll be returning it early. There is no penalty for early returns.

If you opt to rent from Enterprise, it's about 1 mile from the tender pier. I do not know if they send shuttles to the pier.

If you opt to rent from the airport locations, you can plan on taking a taxi to and from (at least $30 each way) because it's 20 to 30 minutes by shuttle from the pier to the airport and most rental companies will not send shuttles that far due to costs of fuel, time, personnel, etc.

beachchick

Beachchick

Exactly correct-this is how it is done.

I don't know how the car rentals work in your town but I do know how it is done in mine. It is very easy and steps from the pier.

Mahalo and Aloha

Thanks for the tips Giantfan13 and beachchick, reservation at the hotel was successful when using the next morning as the drop off time.

I'm glad you got it taken care of. Have fun!

Beachchick

Exactly correct-this is how it is done.

I don't know how the car rentals work in your town but I do know how it is done in mine. It is very easy and steps from the pier.

Mahalo and Aloha

Yep, that's exactly how it worked for us in your lovely town. We rented from Thrifty at the King Kam, gave a 24 hour rental period, dropped it off about 4 pm, and dropped the keys and stuff in the box.

We also love flying into Kona because it's nice and small, easy to get right to the rental cars, and puts us right into the aloha mood.

In our area, there really aren't rental locations in the outlying towns, but there are both airport and in town locations in the small city. OTOH, we're not a cruise port...so we don't have any concerns there.

beachchick

Just in case someone wants to use Enterprise in Kona..I thought they were great. Called when we got into dock...were there to pick up in 5 mins. This is closer than the airport. No lines. Good service!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for all the great tips. At first I was overwhelmed but this board has been great.

I would like to rent from Dollar at the hotel across from the pier in Kona & just wanted to confirm the drop off box works the same as the Thrifty you are talking about.

Also, we are booking Dollar at most of our ports. I signed up for their preferred service but am wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with them & would recommend them (ie. not having to wait a long time to get their car).

Thanks so much! :)

Just returned and used Thrifty at the hotel - Dollar would be the same as its the same desk, same person doing the rentals. Almost felt sorry for the people who booked other car rentals - watching them standing under a tree waiting for the shuttle, while we walked into the hotel, grabbed our car and left. Although there is only one person at the desk there was no line - only us and another couple at the time. She was very helpful and told us the best place for snorkling - went to Kahalu'u beach - only about 15 mins or so away - small, black sand beach - washrooms, truck selling shaved ice and tons of fish - swam with sea turtles there!!!!! On the way back, stopped at KMart for supplies and filled up car with $2.50 in gas. Wrote down milage on the form she gave us, dropped off the keys and back on the ship...... was our best snorkling day.

I tried the code and it would not work for me.

I just started a dummy reservation on the Dollar website. I entered KOAN02 for the location and got a little box that said, "Sorry..." and something about not finding the location--but that was only for a split second. Immediately after that, it gave me "Kona - King Kamehameha Hotel..." as the location. (I assume you were entering that as the location code, not the promo code?) I think KOAN02 should work for your location code.

beachchick

Ditto to highly recommending Dollar at King Kam.

We reserved on line. Got the car before noon and dropped it off at 5.

ALSO, we talked to the wonderful lady about walking about the town, and she pointed out two reserved 'Dollar' spaces there in the lot (under shade) that we could use to park the car while we shopped around before we turned it in.

Convenience, free parking, great service, what's not to like?

• 2 weeks later...

beachchick

We used Enterprise and they were great--they picked us up at the pier and dropped us off when we turned the car back in. There were also less expensive than the King Kam rentals. Just don't do the airport rentals.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any problems with Dollar or Thrifty saying there was car damage after you dropped off the car or do you take the insurance out? I would hate to leave the car and then they say it was returned damaged and you have no proof that everything was ok when you dropped it off after hours (if they close at noon).

beachchick

Wow, I really wish I would have known this. We wasted so much time by renting through the airport. Oh well, lesson learned!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any problems with Dollar or Thrifty saying there was car damage after you dropped off the car or do you take the insurance out? I would hate to leave the car and then they say it was returned damaged and you have no proof that everything was ok when you dropped it off after hours (if they close at noon).

Take pictures of the car with your cell phone camera when you return it. These pictures will be your proof of its condition. The cell phone camera will time stamp the pictures so there can be no argument about when they were taken.

Archived