Ruby Princess 10/25/09

Sashas

I just spent 12 wonderful nights on the Ruby. My husband and I saild on her 7/15 for the Grand Mediterranean itineray. She is a beautiful ship. The international cafe in The Piazza is a great place to get something to eat when hungry-hard to believe you could be hungry after all that amazing food... The Piazza has a small (limited) sushi bar-free; tapas-free;the internanational cafe which has assorted cold salads, assorted panini (which can be grilled), all sorts of desserts from tarts, cakes, cookies, flan, mousse, pastries--free! However, they do make you pay for the gelato, which is quite strange. We did purchase the gelato several times as they had our newly discovered favorite flavor-Nutella-chocolate hazelnut. They give you three schoops for $1.50. Cheap, but why? It was so amanzingly good, that we sorta happily paid the price. We did any-time dining, they have two dining rooms for that. There is one dining room for the seatings. And, of course, there are the two specialty restaurants. By the pool, is the grill with burgers, franks, brats, chicken, fries etc-free and available most of the day. Across from that on the same deck is the pizza, very good and soft serve ice cream-free. For $20pp extra you can go to Sabatini's for a 2 1/1 hour dinner. We did the same on the Sapphire..amazing dinner where they bring you everything on the menu, you just choose your entree. I was disappointed with the Grill Steakhouse, my meat was tuff and too much grizzle $25pp extra. The buffet for breakfast and lunch had enough choices, although some said not enough. They made ommelets to order-even egg whites. My husband and I signed up for the wine tasting- $25pp and worth it- one afternoon, wonderful and no hard sell. We also did the Chef's Table $75pp WELL WORTH IT. Small group of 10 or 12 met by the head maitre'd, we dressed in white coats, brought to the galley to wash up, and met the head executive chef Joel. We were greeted with GOOD champagne (with refills) and the most amazing hor'derves to go with it, and again not just one pp. We started with sevruga caviar served on roasted baby bliss potates topped with sour cream, then on to an abundant shrimp and avacado cocktail in a vinegrette served in a martini glass, next the most amazing chilled fois gras sliced and perched on top a slice of toasted brioche and topped with home made apple chutney--to die for and finally, an asiago cheese and black truffle tart. Wow. Then we toured the galley, took of our coats and were led to the dining room and a special table for us. Beautifully decorated and the most amazing meal followed. Served table side by the head chef and staff, many courses each with wine etc. Three hours later we all left with a signed copy of the cruise line cookbook, a rose for each lady and a copy of our group picture. Couldn't ask for anything better. Our cabin was very comfortable, an actual king bed, not two twins together, and ample closet which held all of our luggage a huge balcony and a small shower. My husband always says he would trade balcony for shower. but it is workable. All in all, the ship is great, and I would love to do it again. Hope you enjoy her, any questions...I am here.

From TLTravelbugs

Glad to hear you had a good time. I think I may try that Chef's table, you made it sound delicious!!

I have a question, did you do the MUTS. I was wondering what movies they have to offer. Do they have a satellite tv in any of the bars? We are cruising in Sept, baseball playoffs and football starts!

Thanks

The bed was a king and definately NOT two beds pushed together. We had three days at sea (didn't make it to Rome-the harbor was too windy), so we decided to sit by the pool all day and relax. Our schedule was so busy when in port, we needed to rest. The excursions (most of them) get you off the ship 7:30-8:30, we were up early to shower/dress/eat before leaving--and you return close to 6pm, a long day. We did sit by the MUTS one day and watched the movie, when our eyes didn't close from lack of sleep, lol. They run movies in the early AM somewhere between 10 & 11, and then again in the afternoon and finally in the evening. After that first day, we decided to sit at the other pool, a little quieter. The Ruby is an amazing ship, I only hope that I can find another itinerary with her.

The bed was a king and definately NOT two beds pushed together. We had three days at sea (didn't make it to Rome-the harbor was too windy), so we decided to sit by the pool all day and relax. Our schedule was so busy when in port, we needed to rest. The excursions (most of them) get you off the ship 7:30-8:30, we were up early to shower/dress/eat before leaving--and you return close to 6pm, a long day. We did sit by the MUTS one day and watched the movie, when our eyes didn't close from lack of sleep, lol. They run movies in the early AM somewhere between 10 & 11, and then again in the afternoon and finally in the evening. After that first day, we decided to sit at the other pool, a little quieter. The Ruby is an amazing ship, I only hope that I can find another itinerary with her.

I've been on the Ruby and since I know you weren't in a suite, which cabin has a King? None to my knowledge. :confused:

We were on Caribe deck C436. Our bed was one large bed, definately larger than my queen at home and not two beds together. There were four king size pillows on the bed as well. Very comfortable. I am assuming it to be a true king, or maybe they have something special made, it was larger than my queen.

We were on Caribe deck C436. Our bed was one large bed, definately larger than my queen at home and not two beds together. There were four king size pillows on the bed as well. Very comfortable. I am assuming it to be a true king, or maybe they have something special made, it was larger than my queen.

You have to understand that Princess cannot have just one King bed in a double cabin. That would mean they'd have to ask everyone who wanted to book said cabin, whether or not they wanted to sleep together. Uh uh......won't fly. It might look like a king and smell like a king, but I'll bet anything it wasn't a king. :)

Thanks Molly's Mum for the echo. We found the bed vry roomy and very comfortable. The bed in any hotel or ship's cabin is something I look pretty carefully at. I have a bad back and bad neck, and comfort is something that is hard for me to find. Either the mattress is too hard, or the pillows are "dead". Both of these were just fine and that says a lot for them, of course they are fairly new.........

Archived